• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A camera to replace the coolpix's - YES (1 Viewer)

john-henry

Over the last 3 years I've been digiscoping with a 995 and a 4500 - the 995's lens packed up just after 12 months so I bought the 4500 - both are good cameras but I never liked the small screen on the 4500 and was always struggling to get a good focus. A few weeks ago I read a review of the Canon A95 and being so impressed with its specs. bought one, it seemed the ideal replacement for the now obsolete Nikons.
After a little bit of head-scratching about adaptors I modified the swing-out bracket I'd made for the Nikons, this worked out very well indeed - vignetting is about the same if not a little better but the real difference comes when you look through the screen, bright, clear and a lot easier to focus with.
Although I've only been out with it a couple of times the quality of the lens is obvious, equally as good as the Coolpix, the modes and settings are about the same as the Nikons but I found them more user friendly and quicker to adjust. Being able to shoot at ISO 50 with 5Mpix is also a plus. The 3x zoom is less than the Nikon's 4x but as this gives a soft image at full zoom it's no great loss.
At about £200 I think it's a great buy (£205 delivered from Pixmania with a 2year warranty), anyone looking for a new or replacement camera would, in my opinion, be hard-pressed to find something better in the middle price range.
Below are some pics taken at the local Country Park plus a Bittern at a local reservoir at about 100yards, all have been cropped, had Levels and U-Mask applied then saved for web at further compression.

By the way I have no connection with Canon or Pixmania, it's my first Canon camera and the first time i've shopped at Pixania, it's just that so many people ask the question "what camera should I get for digiscoping" and i'm so impressed with this one I felt it might be useful.

john-henry.

Attachments

• chaffinch-1014web.jpg
    chaffinch-1014web.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 702
  • mallard-0782web.jpg
    mallard-0782web.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 589
  • blue-tit-0831web.jpg
    blue-tit-0831web.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 685
  • rook-0791web.jpg
    rook-0791web.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 576
  • bittern-0908web.jpg
    bittern-0908web.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 690
Excellent shots,John,it just shows what can be done with a few modifications.I think the quest for the perfect digiscoping camera will always be ongoing.Maybe ,this is why digiscoping is such a challenge.

Very nice, John-Henry - love the chaffy!

I'm a big fan of the A95 myself, and I agree, it's an extremely capable camera.

Which scope are you shooting through?

I've found that the 3x zoom "limitation" isn't really, when used with my Zeiss 65 + zoom EP, because I only use it to dial out vignetting (entirely), after which I just use the scope zoom as necessary.

blythkeith said:
Very nice, John-Henry - love the chaffy!

I'm a big fan of the A95 myself, and I agree, it's an extremely capable camera.

Which scope are you shooting through?

I've found that the 3x zoom "limitation" isn't really, when used with my Zeiss 65 + zoom EP, because I only use it to dial out vignetting (entirely), after which I just use the scope zoom as necessary.

Hi Kieth

Using the Swarovski AT80HD with 20-60zoom.

Like you find the zoom no great problem, i'm just waiting for some decent weather to give it a try at full zoom and get some idea of its capabilities.

regards
john-henry

john-henry

john-henry said:
Using the Swarovski AT80HD with 20-60zoom.

Like you find the zoom no great problem, i'm just waiting for some decent weather to give it a try at full zoom and get some idea of its capabilities.

regards
john-henry
Hi John-Henry,

I have the same scope as you and I strongly agree with all your findings regarding the A95. You may have noticed by now that actually the lower powers are more limiting than higher powers ;). Enclosed is a(n old) pair of images taken with the Canon A80 at its widest zoom setting, the Swaro AT80HD and two different eyepieces: the "old" 20-60x zoom and the new 20xSW fixed. I was positively surprised to realize how much wider views you get with the new wide-angled eyepiece. The eye-relief of the 20x is so short that it does not work as well with the Coolpix 4500.

Regards,

Ilkka

Attachments

• Zoom_vs_wa.jpg
    Zoom_vs_wa.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 524
iporali said:
Hi John-Henry,

I have the same scope as you and I strongly agree with all your findings regarding the A95. You may have noticed by now that actually the lower powers are more limiting than higher powers ;). Enclosed is a(n old) pair of images taken with the Canon A80 at its widest zoom setting, the Swaro AT80HD and two different eyepieces: the "old" 20-60x zoom and the new 20xSW fixed. I was positively surprised to realize how much wider views you get with the new wide-angled eyepiece. The eye-relief of the 20x is so short that it does not work as well with the Coolpix 4500.

Regards,

Ilkka

Hi Ilkka
I have the old Swarovski 22x w/a eyepiece which I never use, just a habit of using the zoom I suppose, I'll give this a try now after looking at the difference in your two pics.

Thanks

john-henry

Hi John-Henry,
Impressive photos!
You mentioned your adapted Nikon swing out base to attach your scope to the A95. I have a Swarovski ATS 80 - do you know if their DCA or DCB camera attachments are suitable for attaching the A95? Or is it best to get the NIkon one and adapt it myself? Are there any problems with the zoom on the A95 being extrernal unlike the Nikon 4500 which has an internal mechanism?
I am in the process of starting digiscoping but am overwhelmed by the range of choices and equally varying range of advice!
Thanks for your help.
IvanB

Why is A95 so suitable for digiscoping? Is it only because of the adjustable LCD display or is it something with the optics that makes this camera better suited than for example Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P100/P150 or other similar cameras?

I have the Zeiss Diascope 85. Have anyone tried A95 on this scope?

I have tried the Coolpix 4500 for a while now, but are not satisfied with the vignetting. It is not good compared to my OLD Olympus c-220 zoom (2 mp only). I hope to find a new and functional camera with similar optics...maybe the A95, time will show...

IvanB said:
Hi John-Henry,
Impressive photos!
You mentioned your adapted Nikon swing out base to attach your scope to the A95. I have a Swarovski ATS 80 - do you know if their DCA or DCB camera attachments are suitable for attaching the A95? Or is it best to get the NIkon one and adapt it myself? Are there any problems with the zoom on the A95 being extrernal unlike the Nikon 4500 which has an internal mechanism?
I am in the process of starting digiscoping but am overwhelmed by the range of choices and equally varying range of advice!
Thanks for your help.
IvanB

Ivan,
I am quite sure (without actually knowing it) that the A95 works with the DCB as does the Nikon 5X00 here http://www.eagleoptics.com/Swarovski/Spotting+Scopes/pid3897. Also the zoom of the A95 is not a problem if you leave some space for the camera lens to extend (no, it does not increase vignetting). And actually the zoom of the CP4500 is only "pseudo-internal": the external zoom only moves behind a glass and is built inside the camera body.

The Swarovski DCB looks well made and stable camera support, but there seem to be some drawbacks in its design http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=20440 eg. it can't be easily used with a stay-on case.

The other high-quality camera support is the Zeiss Quick Camera Adapter (nicely reviewed by mickporter on the Equipment reviews), which is mounted under the scope. It is not disturbed by the SOC, but adds one element between the tripod head and the scope and has a longer "arm" to hold the camera (may be slightly less stable). It works well with the Swaro.

berger,
The adjustable display of the A80/95 is very convenient, but I like the Canons especially because they show less vignetting, their autofocus is faster, more accurate and the 9-field focus indicator shows very well where the camera has actually focused (EDIT: compared to the CP4500). The A95 also has very nice exposure controls: aperture priority (IMHO best in digiscoping) and many manual settings usually lack in Sonys (and Minoltas, Olympus, newer Nikons...). OTOH, many cameras with relatively short (3x) and compact zooms often work with the scopes better than the CP4500 - in terms of vignetting.

Regards,

Ilkka

Last edited:
I just received my Canon A95 to replace my oh-so-slow Nikon CP 995.

I gather from the forum that IS0 50 and aperature priority is preferred for digiscoping.

What other recommendations for zoom, focus mode (spot?), etc.
Does the lens adapter LADC52D fit over the scope eyepiece (with foam spacer perhaps) to make the connection easier?

I have found the Leitz adapter too heavy and bulky and unwieldy and sent it back. These little light cameras don't need such a massive holder.

Thanks for your help. I'm excited about getting some great photos!

IvanB said:
Hi John-Henry,
Impressive photos!
Thanks for your help.
IvanB

Hi Ivan
The swing-out bracket I'm using is one I made myself not the Nikon manufactured one, it's also for the angled scope, so I'm afraid I can't help a lot with that one - however I should think it's fairly easy to make your own if you can find/buy about 2ft. of 2"x1/4" flat aluminium. Mount your scope on it and try your camera for height against the scope eyepiece, this will give you a good idea of how much you need to build up the plate with pieces of aluminium, wood etc.
If you want it to swing-out you'll have to cut the plate a little way past the scope, overlap the two pieces and pivot them with a nut and bolt. Then carefully line up the zoom (do it at full zoom as it's at its maximum length then), also to help alignment I would recommend you buy a LensMate adaptor, if you're using the old Swarovski zoom the 52mm one just slips over the eyepiece almost perfectly.
An alternative to a bracket is to use a 37mm LensMate adaptor and one of the normal tube-type adaptors - there was an excellent thread by alan-rymer recently about this, it's well worth reading.
Hope this helps.
If there's anything else I or other members can help with just ask.

Regards
john-henry

birdnerd13 said:
I just received my Canon A95 to replace my oh-so-slow Nikon CP 995.

I gather from the forum that IS0 50 and aperature priority is preferred for digiscoping.

What other recommendations for zoom, focus mode (spot?), etc.
Does the lens adapter LADC52D fit over the scope eyepiece (with foam spacer perhaps) to make the connection easier?

I have found the Leitz adapter too heavy and bulky and unwieldy and sent it back. These little light cameras don't need such a massive holder.

Thanks for your help. I'm excited about getting some great photos!
Get the Canon A80/A95 Lensmate adapter adaptor from Lensmate with the 37mm thread and the buy a stepdown adaptor for your existing digiscoping adaptor. The LE2 Plus adaptor looks good:
http://www.lensadapter.com/

Last edited:
Get the Canon A80/A95 Lensmate adapter adaptor from Lensmate with the 37mm thread and the buy a stepdown adaptor for your existing digiscoping adaptor. The LE2 Plus adaptor looks good:

I wonder if this setup can give the optimal distance between the cameralens and the ocular? Doesn't the cameralens get too close to the ocular? Maybe this can be adjusted with the positioning of the diciscoping adaptor?

Just wondering since my old olympus need some distance from the ocluar to "work" compared to the CP4500 that need to be as close as possible.

Waiting for my A95 now ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back