• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best fixed eyepiece (1 Viewer)

barnetbirds

Hi,
Just getting back into Birding and bought myself a Opitcron GS52 GA ED, the scope came with with HR 40909MM. Would like to get a nice fixed eyepiece. Any chance of a recommendation!!
TC

Hi there

I have always found either the HDF 40810 (13x) or 40809 (18x) to be my favourite. Depending on what magnification you'd prefer.

Best wishes
Rob

Hi there

I have always found either the HDF 40810 (13x) or 40809 (18x) to be my favourite. Depending on what magnification you'd prefer.

Best wishes
Rob

I would agree with Rob. I have had both on my MM3 50 and both have their strong points. Personally I think the 18x hits a bit of the magnification sweet spot with the MM3 (enough magnification to give an edge over typical binoculars and yet still good depth of field coupled with a wide field of view). I prefer the 18x for both hawkwatching and digiscoping.

Any opinions on the 40858 which would give 32x on my mm3 60 ED?

I think it is the most expensive of the fixed eyepieces.

I would use it primarily for digiscoping distant birds.

It would need to be an improvement on my SDLv2

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back