• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B3 8x30 ... (1 Viewer)

Seems odd a competitive representative of
another optics company, (pete) should feel compelled to offer a negative
at the CL. |=@| I suppose having a hard time competing may be the reason.

Nothing negative in my comment Jerry - read it again and note the bold text - and to even think that we (Opticron) compete with Swaro would be extremely naive.

On the contrary, we positively encourage our dealers to stock Swaro/Leica/Zeiss/A N Other "alpha" in order to deliver their customers a broad selection.

Cheers, Pete

There are some people here who must think that Swarovski is being run by the 3 Stooges!3:)3:)

Does anybody really think that Swarovski would deliberately build lack of sharpness into the their 8x30 CL Companion because it might compete with its top of the line 8x32 Swarovision which costs $1500.00 more?

As Alfred E. Neuman said: "Hoo Haw!" :-O

If we are reasonable we must assume that Swarovski's managment is also reasonable and wanted to build a binocular that would attract people who didn't want to pay more than 1000 bucks for a binocular and there are plenty of places you can cut to get into that price range without even considering making the binocular less sharp!

I can see this rumor taking wings.o:D "The brains on Bird Forum are saying not to buy Swarovski's 8x30 CL Companion because they didn't make it sharp!"

I have the 8x30 CL, the 8x30 SLC and a Leica 8x42 Ultravid and I can tell you that all three are equally sharp to my eyes. They exhibit some differences when I use them but not in sharpness. And I have no intention of testing them on an Edmunds Chart.

I had my annual eye exam last Tuesday. My eyes are still unchanged. I still have 20/15 vision in my left eye and 20/25 in my right and I do not have astigmatism.

Bob

PS: The 8x30 CL matches the 8x30 SLC in sharpness to my eyes as it should because it doesn't have a clear plate of glass in front of its objectives like the SLC does but this doesn't mean that their focal lengths are different.

The CL is about 1/2 inch shorter because of this. Their objective tubes are the same width and their objective covers are interchangeable. The clear diameter of their oculars are the same but the eye cups are not interchangeable because the CLs eye cups have have a narrower diameter.

Bob the Contrarian,

The chances of you agreeing with the majority of opinions on any given bin are about the same as me winning the PowerBall. :smoke:

Are you right handed? If so, then you are also right eye dominant, and that means your worse eye is delivering most of the "message" to your brain, so they would all look equally sharp or unsharp as that eye can see. If you used a booster and a chart, you might detect some differences.

To find your dominant eye, hold a pencil out in front of you, far away enough that you don't see a double image. Then close one eye, then open that eye and close the other. Note the shift in position of the pencil for each eye vis-à-vis both eyes. The eye that shows the pencil in the same position as both eyes is your dominant eye.

Anyway, this wasn't about dissing the CL, it was about foiling yet another "pump and dump" (say no more).

...Are you right handed? If so, then you are also right eye dominant, and that means your worse eye is delivering most of the "message" to your brain...

A significant minority of right-handed people are left-eyed. I'm one of them. My son is left-handed but right-eyed. My brother (adopted) and I both exhibit hand cross-dominance, but stronger in his case (writes with his left, does everything else with his right). More generally, when considering dominant hands, eyes, ears, feet, mixed laterality is very common. My ophthalmologist says that the brain's choice of a dominant eye may be influenced by differences in acuity, in which case we would expect Bob to be left-eyed.

--AP

Bob the Contrarian,

The chances of you agreeing with the majority of opinions on any given bin are about the same as me winning the PowerBall. :smoke:

Are you right handed? If so, then you are also right eye dominant, and that means your worse eye is delivering most of the "message" to your brain, so they would all look equally sharp or unsharp as that eye can see. If you used a booster and a chart, you might detect some differences.

To find your dominant eye, hold a pencil out in front of you, far away enough that you don't see a double image. Then close one eye, then open that eye and close the other. Note the shift in position of the pencil for each eye vis-à-vis both eyes. The eye that shows the pencil in the same position as both eyes is your dominant eye.

Anyway, this wasn't about dissing the CL, it was about foiling yet another "pump and dump" (say no more).

Brock,

Brock,

I'm not wasting time on this. I know my right eye is my dominant eye and I know how to set diopters for it. And they work very well for me in practical every day use. I don't have the time or opportunity to test binoculars on Air Force Charts. Most people here don't have that time or opportunity either; as you well know.

And I stand by everything I wrote in my post which you attached. (Including my comments on the 8x30CL, 8x30SLC and 8x42 Ultravid) I wrote it because people were dissing the CL for the reason stated in the post. And I will repeat that the reason given is ridiculous. Which is why I made fun of it. The fact that Dennis agrees with me even it is about a binocular he is "pumping" makes no difference to me.

What I would like to know is how you get your information on what the "majority of opinions on any given bin" are on this website?

Can you enlighten us?

Bob

Last edited:
...I know my right eye is my dominant eye and I know how to set diopters for it...

Brock,

It seems from this post that Bob is right-eyed after all, which has reminded me of one other point I wanted to make but forgot to include. Bob didn't say in his earlier whether his right-eye acuity is based on his corrected or uncorrected vision, but based on his comments about astigmatism and diopters, it seems he is talking about the latter. Consequently, it may be that his corrected acuity is similar in both eyes and the difference irrelevant for resolution tests. In any case, if he is judging the "sharpness" of a bin with both eyes open, his brain will be using all the info available and won't be limited to the acuity of his dominant eye even if it is/were the weaker one.

--AP

I had some free time early this evening so I took the B3 out and mounted it on a tripod to take some digiscoped images to provide further points of discussion with regard to image quality. All pics are unedited except to downsize to fit into the forum requirements. I attempted to take pictures of different objects...close and far...different color combinations and with different backgrounds. I chose the tree shots as I have found they provide a good way of showing sweetspot size. Give me a bit to get all the pictures posted....

Attachments

• playset.jpg
    playset.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 272
I am going to put it together this weekend. Look for something Sunday late or Monday at the earliest. Thoughts on anything particular with the photos?

Excellent pictures Frank! Did you see the penny in the dirt? There is no penny, just kidding! ;) You are welcome Frank! Zoe is a pretty dog.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back