• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Violet Helleborine Shrops (1 Viewer)

Dylan Edwards

Looking for any info regarding Violet H in Shropshire , i remember seeing 5-6 plants near a railway track .....

Can anyone help ...firstly with a site name and then on-site directions !!

As a footnote i visited Alyn Waters today .....many Dune Helleborine though only 4-5 plants showing the first flowers. Also amongst them are Green-Flowered Helleborines . Many of the thigh high Common Twayblades now toppled over .

I also found a wonderful juv Green Woodpecker which was searching tree hollows for insects or possibly water ?

Hi Dylan

Steve Tandy is your man for the job since he is relatively local and checks up on them regularly (a little harder since I've moved to London!)
The best and easiest place is in Coalbrookedale where they essentially pop up all over the place in the ancient woodlands, including along the roadside.

Definite spots are about here: SJ 66798 04290, SJ 66758 04213. You'll also see them just the other side of the little valley along tracks around here: SJ 67104 04120

An almost rosea here: SJ 66680 04506

Elsewhere, there is a small colony at Wenlock Edge which I've visited once. Again, Steve will have better directions to those and a more recent update on numbers. I think there were about 8.

Finally, there is a strong colony at Severn Valley Country Park around here: SO 74874 83854

Lots of other records for single plants in plenty of other bits of ancient woodland in the county but these are the largest and most reliable colonies.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back