• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle of Mull.... (2 Viewers)

Boom

Not sure if there is already a thread for this, if so, apologies.

Went in late June, we visit quite a lot, and saw plenty of Eagles, Hen Harriers , Otters etc.
Saw a young cuckoo being fed by a pair of meadow pipits on the grass point Road, which was superb.
It was unbelievably hot, we didn't see much Eagle activity really, perched birds mainly around various nest sites, it's apparently been a poor year for raising chicks on the island apparently.
Spent a lot of time looking for Adders on Mull after being given a few tips but not had any joy, has anyone ever seen an Adder there?

Cheers

Hi Boom

Adders.... yes, many years ago now (early 2000's) we were on one of the wildlife tours, and the leader showed us two warming up on a rock at Grass Point.

They are very shy creatures though and will disappear in a flash if they sense danger.

Hi Boom, visited Mull 1st 2 weeks in July (as we do every year), didn't see any adders this year but have seen several in previous visits. My wife almost stepped on one thay was crossing the path on a walk from north end of Loch Frisa to Glengorm. On the Mull Eagle Watch blog it was said that 9 out of 20 WT Eagles nests on Mull have failed this year, either by young dying or eggs not hatching. The 'RSPB Eagle Watch' suffered this year, first at the Craignure Golf Club when a fight between one of the resident pair and an interloper damaged the egg, so they moved back to the older eagle watch site at Tiroran, but the remaining chick (one had died earlier) also died from a possible birth defect of chest infection. However, the eagle watch at Dervaig has been successful.

We didn't see any Golden Eagles (that we could positively identify) but saw several WT eagles, H Harriers and Otters (although they seem to be scarce this year). Not too bad for midges but on a walk alongside Loch Ba on a hot day we were driven back by a plague of cleggs, I use Avon skin so Soft but it had no effect on them what so ever. As I was rapidly applying a second coat of it cleggs were landing on my hands although they were dripping with the stuff.

Dave

Hi Boom

Adders.... yes, many years ago now (early 2000's) we were on one of the wildlife tours, and the leader showed us two warming up on a rock at Grass Point.

They are very shy creatures though and will disappear in a flash if they sense danger.

Thanks for the info, seen plenty over the years but never on Mull, despite many hours searching, Grass Point is one of our haunts but nothing doing there apparently for a while.

Cheers

Hi Boom, visited Mull 1st 2 weeks in July (as we do every year), didn't see any adders this year but have seen several in previous visits. My wife almost stepped on one thay was crossing the path on a walk from north end of Loch Frisa to Glengorm. On the Mull Eagle Watch blog it was said that 9 out of 20 WT Eagles nests on Mull have failed this year, either by young dying or eggs not hatching. The 'RSPB Eagle Watch' suffered this year, first at the Craignure Golf Club when a fight between one of the resident pair and an interloper damaged the egg, so they moved back to the older eagle watch site at Tiroran, but the remaining chick (one had died earlier) also died from a possible birth defect of chest infection. However, the eagle watch at Dervaig has been successful.

We didn't see any Golden Eagles (that we could positively identify) but saw several WT eagles, H Harriers and Otters (although they seem to be scarce this year). Not too bad for midges but on a walk alongside Loch Ba on a hot day we were driven back by a plague of cleggs, I use Avon skin so Soft but it had no effect on them what so ever. As I was rapidly applying a second coat of it cleggs were landing on my hands although they were dripping with the stuff.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, collerates with what we heard. The Na Keal were about when we were there, not doing much but were present. It was far from a bumper year however.
Cleggs were horrific when we were there, never seen anything like it.
Several adders? Good stuff, creatures of habit I know. Going to try again next month, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for that Dave, collerates with what we heard. The Na Keal were about when we were there, not doing much but were present. It was far from a bumper year however.
Several adders? Good stuff, creatures of habit I know. Going to try again next month, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I can't begin to imagine what a group of cleggs looks/feels like! My son was once stung by one - through his thick denim jeans. Hope they've dispersed by the end of September when we're there.

Sandra

I can't begin to imagine what a group of cleggs looks/feels like! My son was once stung by one - through his thick denim jeans. Hope they've dispersed by the end of September when we're there.

Sandra

Although we did have a few more encounters with the cleggs, nowhere was as bad as they were by Loch Ba. It was hot, 25C+ and as the weather cooled down over the two weeks they became less of a problem. Although Skin So Soft did not seem to deter them I found using "Smidge" did, £6 from shop in Salen.

Dave

Although we did have a few more encounters with the cleggs, nowhere was as bad as they were by Loch Ba. It was hot, 25C+ and as the weather cooled down over the two weeks they became less of a problem. Although Skin So Soft did not seem to deter them I found using "Smidge" did, £6 from shop in Salen.

Dave

They were everywhere when we were there, the week from the 25th of June, Smidge did a decent enough job but they would still have a go, talking to a couple who were walking back from Croggan and they had a swarm following them, in all the years I've been going it was easily the worst this time.
On the plus side, spoke to someone who lives there a couple of weeks ago who said they'd calmed down a lot, thankfully. Should be fine for the insect pests in September, we are going back on the 18th.

Hi Boom, most of the few adders we have seen have been when walking the cycle track between Loch Frisa car park (Dervaig-Tobermory Road) to Glengorm. They were either just disappearing off the path into the heather or, on one occassion, crossing the path quickly, which is how my wife nearly stepped on it. Have not seen one basking anywhere on Mull but remember at one time Arthur (Discover Mull) use to start his trips by showing his guests basking adders. So I guess that was in the north of the island also. Have a good trip in September.

Dave

Hi Boom, most of the few adders we have seen have been when walking the cycle track between Loch Frisa car park (Dervaig-Tobermory Road) to Glengorm. They were either just disappearing off the path into the heather or, on one occassion, crossing the path quickly, which is how my wife nearly stepped on it. Have not seen one basking anywhere on Mull but remember at one time Arthur (Discover Mull) use to start his trips by showing his guests basking adders. So I guess that was in the north of the island also. Have a good trip in September.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave.
Down at Loch Buie there's an area with "Beware of Adders" signs up, only discovered it this year, didn't get chance of a proper exploration due to the aforementioned cleggs. Know where you mean, will have a check next month. Thanks again

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave.
Down at Loch Buie there's an area with "Beware of Adders" signs up, only discovered it this year, didn't get chance of a proper exploration due to the aforementioned cleggs. Know where you mean, will have a check next month. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back