• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Close focus extension for Leitz Trinovid 8x32? (1 Viewer)

timse

This is my first post here... I just bought a Leitz 8x32 (150m/1000m version) from the 1970s (with a rectangular Leitz logo badge). They seem really nice and are all I will probably ever need. I read here that the close focusing distance can be extended by moving the excess helicoid from infinity towards the close focus. Can this be a DIY project? If so does anyone have a link or can offer a step-by-step? Or if not can you recommend someone on the east coast in the US that offers this modification? Thanks in advance!

Hello timse, and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I am moving your question to the binocular forum and subscribing you to the thread, that way you will get an email when someone responds. (Don’t worry the emails will only come if they respond to this thread.
I think someone there will be able to help you with your question. Enjoy the forum.

Hi Timse,

Welcome to Bird Forum::hi:

Congratulations on your "new" binocular! It is quite a find!

It is a highly collectible binocular and my advice to you is do not try to alter its close focusing distance by yourself, if at all.

I'm sure more people will be here shortly with information about who can work on it.

Here is a link from Allbinos with more information about your binocular.

https://www.allbinos.com/1636-Leitz_Trinovid_8x32-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Last edited:
Close focusing modification of Leitz Trinovids was routinely done by the US importer when I first encountered them back in the 1980s. Make sure yours aren't already modified since as I recall the close focus wasn't very close by modern standards even after the modification. I don't know about the 8x32 specifically, but I think for most models it changed from around 20'-22' to maybe 13'-15'.

I would suggest contacting Cory Suddarth of Suddarth Optical. He's in Oklahoma, but he's about the last person left who can do this kind of work.

Last edited:
Thank you Bob and Henry! I will contact Cory and see what is involved. If someone that has done this modification I would love to hear their experiences. I just measured and they focus to roughly 18' (further than the 14.7' (4.5m) stated in the allbinos.com link) which might not be close enough for bird watching -- I will take them for a walk tomorrow. They came straight from their home country and look like they have never left their bag from the day they were bought.
They have those proprietary round strap posts and I have read here that there are no replacement strap attachments available. Is that still the case or is there a replacement solution by now? Mine are still in good shape but I might want to replace the leather strap at some point. Thank you!

You made a good choice of a classic binocular, and I would recommend just using it
for a while, several weeks or months before doing any changes.

It may suit you just fine, with the focus as it is, so sending it off would not be warranted.

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jerry

The Leitz Trinovid models were converted to closer focus by inserting ultra-thin shims behind the objective lens cells.

Once this is done the binocular has to be re-collimated as removing the cells will put this out.

Note that anything added to the short focus distance will be lost on the far focus.

Gary.

The Leitz Trinovid models were converted to closer focus by inserting ultra-thin shims .................

Note that anything added to the short focus distance will be lost on the far focus.

Gary.

Does that mean that the ability to focus past infinity will be shortened?

Bob

Exactly..........

When I was at Leica and we did these conversions we always warned the customer that the binocular would no longer focus past infinity, and depending on how close they wanted it, may not even reach infinity.

Gary.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back