• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comments Welcomed (1 Viewer)

Richard G

I took this today at our local reserve, and have cropped the image down to take out some of the background.

Constructive comments welcomed.

Richard

Attachments

• GSW.jpg
    GSW.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 136
Hi Richard! Interesting photograph. I like see birds engaged in something :)

There are two distractions that draw my eyes away from the bird. Mainly the twig and green (wire?) in the top left corner. Also, I would crop both of the sides and make the photo more vertical in order to focus on the bird.

Well done!

Thanks for the comments.

Had a play about in Photoshop, and did as you suggested, along with a bit of sharpening. This any better?

Richard

Attachments

• GSW1.jpg
    GSW1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 108
Nice photo with the 2nd version IMO much improved over the original, but I think it might be even better if you cropped out more of the cage--maybe to just above the tops of the white objects. I like the big expanse of green background below the cage.

Re the white objects BTW: these wouldn't by any chance be specimens of the "fat balls" often mentioned in posts from your side of the pond & which I've often wondered about?. If so, are they homemade or were they bought commercially (as suet cakes are mostly over here)?

Re the white objects BTW: these wouldn't by any chance be specimens of the "fat balls" often mentioned in posts from your side of the pond & which I've often wondered about?. If so, are they homemade or were they bought commercially (as suet cakes are mostly over here)?

Yes, the white objects are commercially bought (not by me, though) fatballs.

Thanks for the comments re the photo, btw.

Richard

Yes, the white objects are commercially bought (not by me, though) fatballs.

Richard

Good photo Richard....so what is in those Fatballs?

On the photo....I like to get images of the bird doing something other than just sitting there....upside down, eating, flying etc.... How far away were you when you took that picture?

Good photo Richard....so what is in those Fatballs?

On the photo....I like to get images of the bird doing something other than just sitting there....upside down, eating, flying etc.... How far away were you when you took that picture?

Hi Jim, thanks for the comment - getting there slowly I think!! I was about 50m away I guess (I'm rubbish at judging distance!!)

Fatballs are just that - balls of fat/lard/suet containing nuts & seeds. Gives the birds something to peck at & break down.

Richard

Cropping and adjusting photos can be very much a matter of personal taste - I like the twig, the green and also would want to keep the feeder in shot as I think they all make the photo to my eyes.

I would crop your first photo like this if it were mine.

Malvin.

Attachments

• GSW M.jpg
    GSW M.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back