• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

At least 6 Green Hairstreak at Sparham Pools this morning, plus 1 Cinnabar and 10+ Longhorn moths

Attachments

• IMG_9072.jpg
    IMG_9072.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9037.jpg
    IMG_9037.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9034.jpg
    IMG_9034.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 84
Wall x 2 or 3 in the garden yesterday at Thorpe-next-Haddiscoe favouring flowering dandelions (note: hopefully continuing last years greater prominence following many years decline locally)

Norfolk moths group on FB seemed to suggest a influx of Plutella xylostella overnight with plenty being seen today. I decided to look in the garden and in 10 minutes found 65 of them. Makes you wonder just how many there are in the whole county.

Saw my first large skipper of the year at Swanton Novers yesterday. Usual time of year which is a surprise given the cool weather until this week.

To say butterflies are a bit this on the ground is an under statement for this year Did my transact this afternoon in warm conditions 20C and plenty of sun between short periods of cloud cover and it was two hours before the first butterfly apeared, a brimstone. Ended up with 3 speckled woods , a couple of brimstones and a large skipper. In a normal year I would have seen 25-30 in mid June on the survey route. Nice to see a cinnabar moth, though , again a first for the year.

A handfull of ringlets out at Swanton Novers yesterday, but butterflies very scarce on the survey, just twenty counted when I usualy am counting 100 + at this time of year. Speckled Woods, 1 meadow brown , 1 Large Skipper and ringlets.

Saw my first white admiral of the year at Swanton Novers yesterday. Only 2 weeks later than usual. No sign of SW Fritillaries yet , but they cant be far away.

Silver-washed reported Monday, as was Essex Skipper. This leaves Purple and White-letter hairstreaks, Gatekeeper and Chalkhill Blue still not seen.

A lot of new butterflies today at Swanton Novers. Saw 3 SWF , first small and Essex skippers plus a purple hairstreak. Two green hairsrteaks also seen , not a regular butterfly for the site and very late. Plus a brimstone again . I would have thought a bit late for the spring flight and a bit early for the summer flight period. Overall butterfly numbers were very low with the exception of ringlets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back