• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID, Dallas, Texas (1 Viewer)

I don't get an osprey vibe from this. A reason is I'd expect the wrist to be all dark. So perhaps (without confidence) juvenile light morph Swainson's
I thought Swainson's for a bit too, but wouldn't a light Swainson's have a dark breast? What bothered me about Osprey is what looks like the 'comma' (which is why I though maybe Swainson's). And I thought the dark on the leading edge of the wing seemed Ospreyish and the wings seemed a bit narrow for buteo. I certainly won't argue this one, because I was just taking a stab. I should have put an lol after the "right?".;)

Also, the 'm' shape of the flight and the curvature of the wing from the neck and the long fingers.... Obviously, I'm still not convinced it's Swainson's. LOL

OK. I concede. Just looked at some images of different Swainson's in flight. Sorry for the bad guess DFW.

It's a Red-tailed Hawk. A Swainson's wouldn't have the patagial bar, and it would have uniformly dark primaries and secondaries.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back