• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 8/10x42 shining star? (1 Viewer)

I test all optics out.... I want to know what fits my face, my hands....I can see and read the specs but I need the binocular in hand before I can invest. Just 'visiting' them at a store isn't going to cut it. I think that binocular companies should have an outlet where you they provide demos. That way you send it back, then get online or visit the store and order the one that fits you.

Manufacturers often send retailers demo sets with a big ugly DEMO somewhere conspicuous. They're either offered free or heavily discounted to the dealer, and we'll tracked to prevent resale. Its really not much of a leap to turn the make in-store-demo concept into a mailing program.

I dig the idea, but wonder if the effort and cost (if footed by the manufacturer) would be better invested in figuring out how to get them onto local shelves instead?

Morning Whitetrain,

As mentioned, the marriage / girlfriend phrases were meant to be light hearted and a bit of fun. Not to be taken seriously at all.

Good luck with your purchase.

Oh goodness, I promise you don't need to worry about hurting feelings or ruffled feathers on account of a joke. My sense of humor is... pretty dark. I only meant what I said, that the analogy isn't an analogy. Even so, I got the intent. I was tempted to offer an alternative but I'd be banned like immediately. 😆

Thanks for the wishes, though. I'll have to sell a few things first, and found out my Razors have a scratched lens yesterday so that might slow me down for a while 😥.

I don't disagree with the idea in principle. That said...

-I'm not convinced it's worth doing if the comparison is inside a store.
-I'm unaware of a store nearby that would have multiple versions of high end bins.
-I'd be ticked if my new binos arrived with someone else's eyelash grease on them, and consider it unethical if someone sold a returned set as new.
-If the retailer who was kind enough to allow returns and had to resell them at open boxed prices for the sake of someone intending to put them in that situation, that should have their name changed; the Aussies have an affinity for the word that comes to mind.

-In my case, I already know where I'd buy, and returns or multiple purchases simply aren't an option. Of course that by itself doesn't take away from the benefits of a demo, but limits me a bit if the idea is to purchase two and return one. Guess I could buy 2 with the intent of returning both, but I can hear Aussies are clearing their throats just for considering that.

-That marriage statement may be true, but if its supposed to be an analogy to bino purchases its flawed and irrelevant. Other people's reviews of a woman mean they've already decided they could do better or the user wasn't good enough for the product to begin with and their opinion means "white rain."

-In fairness, the analogy is fine if you married the binos identical twin instead, after going back and forth between them for a while. Pics, or it didn't happen.

Actually I bought a Zeiss Pocket I liked after trying it, some weeks after trying one I didn’t like. Sample variation in high end optics is substantial, even after good QC, and reviews for novel instruments don’t help with this issue especially since advance and “pro” reviewers cannot exclude the handpicked perfect instruments they assess because simply -eg SF32- there are none to be purchased as a mystery buyer.

Edmund

Last edited by a moderator:
Glass

Actually I bought a Zeiss Pocket I liked after trying it, some weeks after trying one I didn’t like. Sample variation in high end optics is substantial, even after good QC, and reviews for novel instruments don’t help with this issue especially since advance and “pro” reviewers cannot exclude the handpicked perfect instruments they assess because simply -eg SF32- there are none to be purchased as a mystery buyer.

Edmund

Perhaps this should be posted in the Leica section regarding the Noctivid for the benefit of Tobias who seems to have the worst luck in procuring premium glass, there always is an issue.

Andy W.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this should be posted in the Leica section regarding the Noctivid for the benefit of Tobias who seems to have the worst luck in procuring premium glass, there always is an issue.

Andy W.

I'm sure there's some info out there somewhere, probably a lot here even, but I'm curious how much variation is needed for a good optical system to become not so good. Wild guess, but I'm thinking assembly itself is the biggest variable, and that the optical materials are darn near identical. If only I had the time...

Valid point Whiterain, it is likely a combination but assembly is the likely variable. Additionally, modern glass is pushed to the limits for performance, any small variation in spec will be noticed. I still think premium glass has less problems than the mid range offerings.

Andy W.

Returns are a complex topic. I agree that re-selling as new something that was returned after being used is unethical -- they need to resell it as open box or similar.

The market place has changed. Back in the day, there were many more local dealers and visiting an actual store to try things (either in store or out back) was possible, at least in many more places than now. Now, on-line sellers are the norm. They make their profit undercutting brick & mortar because they are not local. They have scale. Returns are just a fact of life for them.

This is one reason I oppose going into a store to try something out then buy online (unless the store is truly off the mark in price). you are shifting costs to the local store and shifting profits to the online store!

I try not to be frivolous, but I view try-and-return as the compliment to sell-online-and-kill-local.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back