• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE France Sep 18 - Short-toed Eagles batch (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
20 pics of short-toed eagles. Watching migration yesterday I'd like to double check I'm getting all these Short-toed Eagles right so I can eliminate them from the ids. I know it's a big upload but seems more sensible than creating many threads.

Attachments

• Short-toed Eagle01.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle01.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Short-toed Eagle02.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle02.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Short-toed Eagle03.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle03.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Short-toed Eagle04.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle04.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Short-toed Eagle05.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle05.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 20
6-10

Attachments

• Short-toed Eagle06.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle06.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Short-toed Eagle07.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle07.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Short-toed Eagle08.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle08.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Short-toed Eagle09.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle09.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Short-toed Eagle10.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle10.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 24
11-15

Attachments

• Short-toed Eagle11.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle11.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Short-toed Eagle12.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle12.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Short-toed Eagle13.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle13.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Short-toed Eagle14.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle14.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Short-toed Eagle15.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle15.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 10
16-20 / end

Attachments

• Short-toed Eagle16.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle16.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Short-toed Eagle17.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle17.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Short-toed Eagle18.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle18.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Short-toed Eagle19.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle19.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Short-toed Eagle20.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle20.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 10
Beautiful! I'm searching for non-adults. No.3 looks to be the freshest (although a little nicked here and there, a loose shaft between inner Ps to 2nds?). Any chance that this is a juvenile?

I believe juveniles have dark hoods, 2nd cy turn white on their heads ... no.10 seems not to have a dark hood. Any one care to comment?

I believe juveniles have dark hoods, 2nd cy turn white on their heads ... no.10 seems not to have a dark hood. Any one care to comment?

Interesting, I've been convinced that there are more juv. birds showing pale heads, often looking ghostly on the whole underparts. There are certainly some juv. with rich dark heads but I find they are in the minority.

Interesting, I've been convinced that there are more juv. birds showing pale heads, often looking ghostly on the whole underparts. There are certainly some juv. with rich dark heads but I find they are in the minority.

my understanding is juveniles having pale to very pale brown-orange heads which bleaches under African sun giving often a whole white head (and body) in second cal year birds and also 3rd or even 4th cy before dark head of adults stay dark

no 3 has old outer tail feathers and new inner ones so adult too
Thank you, Tom. How about no. 10? I do not see a dark head on this bird, and obviously it is not a juvenile, so is it a 2nd cy bird?

I'm looking at it having in mind what you said on my recent thread on STEs :
"2nd CY birds identified by mixture of inner moulted primaries broadly tipped white and older and faded outer juvenile primaries"
~ inner primaries look like they could have moulted, not sure about outer primaries (except worn P5). It seems quite a good match for the 2nd cy bird you sent photos of.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I'm especially interested in juvs, showing dark hoods - they're quite scarce down here on migration and I suspect absent from southern Portugal as siblings from breeding birds. It occurred to me that the dark headed juvs, are maybe from a particular geographical area due to a local trait.

Thanks Tom, I'm especially interested in juvs, showing dark hoods - they're quite scarce down here on migration and I suspect absent from southern Portugal as siblings from breeding birds. It occurred to me that the dark headed juvs, are maybe from a particular geographical area due to a local trait.

interesting! maybe northern birds from France?

Just talking heads (hoods, presence or absence of), from a Hungarian study which illustrates the ages with good photos ~

https://short-toed-eagle.net/wp-content/protected/PDF/GaborPapp-AgingSexing-2015En.pdf (pdf file)

Juveniles :
> - The hood is normally well defined, close to that of an adult female
2nd cy :
> thickness of the hood varies greatly, however, most of the time it is weaker than that of the juveniles or adults. ... The remains of the hood regularly form a ‘necklace’
3rd cy :
> head is darker than that of the previous age group, however, it is not that uniformly brown as in case of adults - the hood is not well defined yet, rather ’necklace’-like

Actually, Tom advised me not to try to identify 3rd cy
> unless outer primaries juvenile in early spring
nor 4th calendar years, so I had better stop here! Complex subject, but may be not as difficult as identifying crakes!

For interest, here are a few more light ones from yesterday

Thanks for link to Hungarian study - very useful

The one on right of pic 4 I really wasn't sure about - thought it might be an HB but finally decided on STE

Attachments

• Short-toed Eagle juv?01.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle juv?01.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Short-toed Eagle juv?02.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle juv?02.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Short-toed Eagle03.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle03.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Short-toed Eagle juv right?04.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle juv right?04.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Short-toed Eagle05.jpg
    Short-toed Eagle05.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Good morning!

This is great, thank you for glimpses of migration. From initial glance of amateur eye, you may have a few juvenile candidates. no.2 (right hand bird). no.3, no.5.

no.5 looks minimally marked, fresh edges, and juveniles it seems can have a distinct hood, the Hungarian paper shows an unequivocal juvenile (its plumage), with a clearly defined dark head.

no.1 looks interesting. There is already the dark barring on the flight feathers.

Let's see what the experts say.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back