• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Starling Potential Gapeworm? Please help (1 Viewer)

Bob-P-

Hello,
Thank you in advance if anyone kindly helps me and this poor little bird.

My question is regarding a juvenile starling I rescued 2 days ago from my garden. It has a gaping mouth wheezing, coughing spluttering symptoms, not happy at all. I took it to my local animal rescue and they put it out and thoroughly checked its throat but there was nothing to be found that could be causing it a problem. Its throat looked a bit sore so they have put it on a 5-day course of antibiotics in case there is a respiratory bacterial infection.

As a backup plan in case nothing can be done, I have been trying my very best to see if there was anything else, I can do if it gets returned to me in the same or a worse condition if it has deteriorated.

From searching online, it might be a case of Gapeworm, which is a really nasty thing! I feel so sorry for this little bird and must help it.

Does anyone have experience with treating gapeworm in garden birds like starlings for example? Could you recommend the best product I can buy and how to treat? Some treatments appear to be tropical placed on skin between shoulder blades while others are given with water or food?

The really worrying thing is I was told if there a lot of worms in the windpipe and you give a too high does and kill too may they can block the air way!!!

If the bird is returned to me, I have a huge rabbit cage and can provide food, water and lots of TLC and the appropriate medication at the recommended dose.

Please help even if you recommend a link or website anything is so much welcome.

Thank you so very much.
Bob.

Hi Bob and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

It sounds like you have done all that's possible for you to do yourself. I'm pretty sure the Rescue people wouldn't return it to you unless it was fully fit and well and ready to be released back to the wild (they like birds and animals to be released in the same area they've been found).

Good luck - please let us know how he gets on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Delia,

Thank you very much indeed for your reply, I am praying night and day for this little bird. I can phone the rescue centre on Monday for an update.

I can't bear to see an animal or any creature suffer and have found numerous animals and birds over the years and taken them to vets and wildlife centres. A few years back I actually found a sick oyster catcher on Waterloo promenade it took me a good hour to catch him as he was unable to fly but a real fast runner!!! It had a terrible injured beak and maggot infestation in its beak, it was very upsetting and I am very sad to say it didn't make it.

I will post an update on Monday and pray the antibiotic treatment relives this little birds suffering. I hope it is not gapeworm, it sounds terrible!!!

Thanks again for your kind and reassuring words Delia.
Take care.
Bob

Fingers crossed over the weekend then!!!

Thanks Bob
Hi Delia,
I am sorry to report that the little starling passed away, the animal rescue carers found it on Friday morning so it must of passed away Thursday night. The vet said even though it was showing some symptoms of gapeworm she ruled it out after the thorough check up as she is familiar with gapeworm in the past.

I have about 20 + juvenile starlings that visit my garden daily and already another one is showing the symptoms. It is most upsetting. I have robins, blackbirds, wood pigeons and a variety of tits and never seen this disease before in any of them in the past. It appears to be just targeting the young starlings?

Do you have any suggestions or advice?

As I have caught one and it passed away even after it was cared for by the animal rescue vet it seems futile for me to keep catching more and more as the animal rescue is very busy and do such a wonderful job. I don't really know what to do to be honest.

Thanks very much.
Bob

Bob- said:
I have about 20 + juvenile starlings that visit my garden daily and already another one is showing the symptoms. It is most upsetting. I have robins, blackbirds, wood pigeons and a variety of tits and never seen this disease before in any of them in the past. It appears to be just targeting the young starlings?

Do you have any suggestions or advice?

Yes, remove all food and water and let the birds disperse if you have feeding stations in your garden. When there’s evidence of disease in your garden birds you need to take all necessary steps to minimise further infections. Sharing water baths and feeders, especially in hot weather and immediately post-breeding where numbers of birds feeding in groups are higher, the risk of bacterial disease spreading through contaminated water or feeders is much higher.

The birds will find other sources of food. Sorry but this is about the most responsible advice I would give at the moment.

Thanks very much Deb for your good solid advice.
Take care.
Bob.

You’re welcome Bob - I just wanted to add, removing feeders and emptying the bird baths doesn’t have to be permanent!- 2-3 weeks should be enough (and obviously clean and disinfect everything.). After that, reinstall (a few to start with) feeders and water, ensuring vigilant hygiene standards on an ongoing basis. Repeat the whole process if any more sick birds appear in the garden.

There’s some information here which should be helpful

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=67323

Good luck.

Hi Bob

I'm so sorry I missed your post on Tuesday.

What a shame he didn't make it, but at least you know you did the best for him.

Deb gives you great advice and I thank her for finding that thread, which I'd rather forgotten about I'm afraid to say.

Let's hope these measures stop whatever it is from coming back to infect more of your birds.

Thanks very much Delia for your message. Yes very sad the little starling didn't make it I only hope it didn't suffer. Thanks for all your help and advice and Deb's too so I can limit the problem.
I will keep you updated.
Take care over there.
Bob.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back