Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ridgway, April 2014 - RFI

Old Thursday 7th November 2013, 16:13   #1
CornishExile
rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!

Ridgway, April 2014 - RFI

Hello all,

I've been offered the use of a house in a wooded lot near Ridgway, Colorado for a week in April next year. It's an area of the US I am not familiar with as a British birder. So I was wondering...

...what sort of species of interest might I encounter in the area (or within, say, a 100 mile radius of Ridgway) at that time of year?

In a nutshell, should I take the offer of the house?! My US birding has, until now, been limited to the NE states and Arizona (south of Tucson to the Mexican border) so I am wondering what potential that time of year in Colorado offers.

Any help or pointers to useful URLs greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jon

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit
Old Thursday 7th November 2013, 16:33   #2
ptickner

In April you'll be on the edge of Spring/Winter in Ridgway. Depending on where around Ridgway, there could still be some snow, but most likely it will be gone by then. April high temps average at almost 60 (F), but lows are still below freezing. A good many migrants will be making their way through by then, with both broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds coming mid-April, as well as numerous warbler species.

Early April is the best time in CO to watch the spring lekking of prairie chickens, although the only one you'll be within 100 miles of will be the Gunnison.

I live about 20 minutes from Ridgway, and know the area pretty well! Why don't you PM me, and I can send you some more detailed lists from past bird walks, tours, etc.

Paul
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: