• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noise Ninja (1 Viewer)

I have heard this is a really good plugin for Photoshop, does anybody use this and is it worth the money?
I have both Neat Image and Noise Ninja. Out of the two I personally prefer Noise Ninja. What I really like about it is the built in noise brush that lets you easily mask out part of the image via the erase mask - if you over shoot the target area you can simply undo with the paint mask. On a lot of my images I run an aggressive noise reduction on the background only by masking the bird and perch - not because the image is particulary noisy but this gives a nice blurred look to the BG.
Of course you can do a similar thing with neat image or any other NR software by using a layer mask.

Whether it is worth the money is a highly individual thing, to some people it would be to others it would not - to me it most certainly is.
Highly recommend by me :t:

Last edited:
I use the similar plugin from imagenomic called noiceware, and
1 it has been worth the money for me, and
2 I have been very happy with the service from the company

Niels

I've used Ninja before, and like most of the noise reduction programs it's pretty solid. I've also used Helicon filter, and Noiseware, more often recently as I preferred those two for different reasons. Lately, the past few months I have been finding really amazing results from very high ISO stuff using Topaz' Denoise software. I started with Denoise3, which was decent, but Denoise4 was a big leap and truly amazing for higher ISO removals. Now Denoise5 just came out, and looks quite promising so far as even better than version 4. Once you get a version, future upgrade versions are free.

Any of them are pretty solid though...and for basic noise removal, there's not a lot between them.

Topaz Denoise 5 is better than Neat Image or Noise Ninja: I'm a recent convert to Denoise, having used and recommended Neat Image for years and Noise Ninja (as a plug-in to Bibble) for almost as long.

It's trivially easy to shoot at 3200 ISO (and higher) with a 7D, converted well and then NRd with Denoise:

3200_ISO_topaz_1000.jpg

(This is not nearly as well-lit as it might look - I had to "add light" in PP to get it like this, which adds noise, but it still looks excellent).

Noiseware is OK (been using that for a years as well, from when its author first posted about it on here) but it's not really in the same game.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back