• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

Perhaps not often, but I remember visiting my Dad at Westgate (up Weardale, not in Nairobi) and being startled by an-all scarlet jet zipping down the valley at 500 feet. Hence my suggestion.

John

Weardale? It might as well be Nairobi. It's the other side of the world from here.;)

It's daan sarf.

We often see the black ones, and tucanos and other stuff,they fly over our house, but believe me, if the red ones were in the habit of coming this way I'd have spotted them.

From the Red Arrows facebook page.

RAF Red Arrows

@RAFRed10: At the wonderful @RAFLeuchars to escape the Lincs weather.Looped & rolled all the way here up the east coast!

Stunning John!

A couple of pics I took at Pent Farm, just 7 miles from here. In the summer we are treated to a Spitfire and occasionally, a Hurricane which are based here for 3 days a month throughout the season, for the "Fly with a Fighter" air experience. A wonderful and free flying display in the warm summer sun evokes images of how it must have been down here 70 odd years ago.

The Spit is the one that I flew with for my birthday treat.

Attachments

• Spit at Pent (Large).JPG
    Spit at Pent (Large).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Hurri at Pent (Large).JPG
    Hurri at Pent (Large).JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 90
Stunning John!

A couple of pics I took at Pent Farm, just 7 miles from here. In the summer we are treated to a Spitfire and occasionally, a Hurricane which are based here for 3 days a month throughout the season, for the "Fly with a Fighter" air experience. A wonderful and free flying display in the warm summer sun evokes images of how it must have been down here 70 odd years ago.

The Spit is the one that I flew with for my birthday treat.

It must be great to have them in that rural setting. Very much the old flavour of the RAF, before huge chainlink fences sprang up everywhere.

John

See the chap below occasionally, out over the Mississippi. He's obliged by waving a few times. On film, as that is, about as fast as I can go now days, to get a shot. Once the White Pelicans start coming down in numbers, believe he grounds himself.

Attachments

• R1-05910-p017A.jpg
    R1-05910-p017A.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 98
While we are on the subject of Duxford:
- it was the first place to have an operational Spitfire Squadron (No. 19)
- it was the principal location for filming Battle of Britain (during which one of the historic hangars was blown up for an airfield attack scene after permission had been denied
-it holds a cracking all-piston warbird airshow every July called Flying Legends which I would only miss for a tick
-it is probably the best place in Britain to listen to the song of the Merlin

Here are some Duxford Spitfires:

Do they still have the balbo at the end of the Flying Legends show? Haven't been since 1998. Took my dad who loved planes [ ex bomber command navigator on Wellingtons and Lancs ] often throughout the 90's. I think the record for the Duxford balbo was 39 planes in the air at once set in 1997, but I could be wrong. I have some old camcorder footage I made of it lying about the house somewhere.

Haven't shown so much interest in planes since the old man passed away and I moved away from England, as music and gardening as well as birding top my interest list now. If it had a prop or piston engine then I was interested. Jets did zilch for me. My aviation highlight was getting an hours stick time in a Tiger Moth about 12 years ago. Superb! Would love to fly in a DC3 sometime. Remember them rattling over our house where I grew up in Sussex in the 60's and 70's as I lived under the Gatwick flight path.

Si.

Do they still have the balbo at the end of the Flying Legends show? Haven't been since 1998. Took my dad who loved planes [ ex bomber command navigator on Wellingtons and Lancs ] often throughout the 90's. I think the record for the Duxford balbo was 39 planes in the air at once set in 1997, but I could be wrong. I have some old camcorder footage I made of it lying about the house somewhere.

Haven't shown so much interest in planes since the old man passed away and I moved away from England, as music and gardening as well as birding top my interest list now. If it had a prop or piston engine then I was interested. Jets did zilch for me. My aviation highlight was getting an hours stick time in a Tiger Moth about 12 years ago. Superb! Would love to fly in a DC3 sometime. Remember them rattling over our house where I grew up in Sussex in the 60's and 70's as I lived under the Gatwick flight path.

Si.

Yes, the balbo still flies. It was a bit thin this year but the scramble and the noise of the big formation still stirs the nape hairs.

Pic below: claps to the first to get them all right.

John

Attachments

• IMG_6288 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_6288 (800x533).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 125
Yes, the balbo still flies. It was a bit thin this year but the scramble and the noise of the big formation still stirs the nape hairs.

Pic below: claps to the first to get them all right.

John

Unless you want an anoraks answer such as the mark type then I'll have a guess at Spitfires. Hurricane, Mustangs, Furies, Corsair and I think Hellcat and Kittyhawk. Not too sure what the middle planes are in rows 4 & 5. One looks ominously like an Bf 109 or one of those Spanish equivalents, a Buchon.

Shame the likes of the Mosquito, P38 and Tigercat [what a beast] are not there.

Si.

I would say front rank:

Thunderbolt flanked by two P51

Corsair plus 2 Furies

Hurricane, Hellcat and P51

then a mixture of 51's and Spits of various marks, and maybe and couple of pretend 109's ...

I'll get me anorak :smoke:

I would largely agree with your anorak

I think the next rows are:

P51, Spitfire, P51

Spit Mk 9, Me 109 (probably CASA built?) Spit Mk 9

Then possibly all Spits from there down

Pretty sure bottom 4 are Spits but not entirely sure about those two singletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back