• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Afternoon out to Bolton Priory (1 Viewer)

Gramayr

Slightly barking..
Had an afternoon out to Bolton Priory, bit cloudy and rained later on but was an enjoyable trip. My partners folks are up from Wolvo so it wasn't a 'birdy trip', but I took my bino's just in case.
Several ducks (mallards I think), Few crows, black backed gull, grey wagtail and a moorhen.

Held my camera to my bino's (samsung digimax 3100, Bushnell natureview 10x42 roof) and took a couple of shots.

Apparently there is a good spot to veiw other birds nearby, though didn't have time to explore. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Attachments

• duck#1.jpg
    duck#1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 125
  • duck#2.jpg
    duck#2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Strid Wood

Gramayr said:
Had an afternoon out to Bolton Priory, bit cloudy and rained later on but was an enjoyable trip. My partners folks are up from Wolvo so it wasn't a 'birdy trip', but I took my bino's just in case.
Several ducks (mallards I think), Few crows, black backed gull, grey wagtail and a moorhen.

Held my camera to my bino's (samsung digimax 3100, Bushnell natureview 10x42 roof) and took a couple of shots.

Apparently there is a good spot to veiw other birds nearby, though didn't have time to explore. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Hi Gramayr,

Whenever we go we always walk through Strid Wood, an SSSI. I had my first Flycatcher there. It's two years since we went. There were several different trails through the woods, depending on how good someone walks. We went on the higher trail, they gave excellent views, whether someone is a birder or not. On another trip we had a very tame Brambling, it was with some Chaffinches, having some of our sandwiches!

The wood was accessible just after you go past the restaurant, if I remember correctly.

They may have a website at Bolton Priory, if so you can get upto date info'

Regards

That'll be the walk over the bridge (or stepping stones for the barave) then? Went up there ages ago, too long to remember anything.
I've noticed people walking either way up/down the river side. I received an e-mail from the staff at Bolton Priory saying there is a layby where ornithologists park up - not sure where abouts this is - will have to have a scout round next time I'm up there.

Gramayr said:
That'll be the walk over the bridge (or stepping stones for the barave) then? Went up there ages ago, too long to remember anything.
I've noticed people walking either way up/down the river side. I received an e-mail from the staff at Bolton Priory saying there is a layby where ornithologists park up - not sure where abouts this is - will have to have a scout round next time I'm up there.

No, we continued past the bridge towards the wood [unless it's changed], it was well sign-posted at the time. I've never been over the bridge, I tend to keep to the woodland paths, as if going to see the Strid.

The last time we were there, we parked at the Post Office and went across the road and into the grounds of the priory across the field towards the river, and watched for anything. Then later went to Strid Wood and finished off at Barden Tower. We found the wood best.

Ask the staff for a exact location of the layby. If I found anything out I'll send you an e-mail.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back