• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150-500mm vs... (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Thoughts on this... Image quality between a 150-500 and a Canon 300mm F4 L with a TC. The canon would be shooting at 420mm with F4 or close to it, the Sigma would be shooting at the high zoom (I hear more like 450+) at f8 (sweet spot)....

Thoughts as to if the Canon with a teleconverter beats out the Sigma in image quality or close enough that there is little difference?

Hi

I cant help regarding the 300 F4 and TC but do have some experience between the 150-500 and a 100-400L with TC.

I like the 150-500 and in isolation it's shots are really good. However stacked up against the 100-400 L the difference in quality (sharpness and contrast) is noticeable. Not huge just noticeable.
The following gallery shows some pics with the 150-500 on a 7D (18 Mp) and 100-400 L with 1.4TC on a 1D mark II n (8.2 Mp)

http://andrewa.zenfolio.com/p797319629

If you hover your mouse pointer over the top right corner of any expanded thumb nail pic you will get the camera lens data and can judge for yourself how you think the two lenses compare. By the way shooting distance for both was roughly the same. All pics have been tidied up in Lightroom.
I would say the 300 f$ and 1.4 will easily be on a par with the 100-400 quality wise.
Sorry not a direct answer to your question but maybe helpful to you
Andrew

Nice Shots Andrew..... I really don't see I see any difference in lenses from you have shown. The Sigma performed well as did the Canon.... Lots of light, good clear shots.

Don't you just love beach shots!... Thanks for sharing and the input, jim

Well I think the differences in quality pictures are small...but I bet in general, if you take x number of pics with the 400 and x with the sigma, you will see the difference. But from what you post...I like em all

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back