• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on the Sigma 150-500 for Canon (1 Viewer)

sarniabirding

I was given this lens as a gift. My first impression out of the box was a bit of a deterent when I fitted it to my 5D mark ii. It seemed unable to focus and constantly seached focusing back and forth. I then mounted it to my 30D and volia! The thing works great.

I take off and do a little handheld shoots into the early evening. I must say because of its low light limits and using a 30D the images were not all that great. Too much noise and blurring.

OK - now I know some of the limits which are really obvious.

Today I experimented some more with the equipment using both camera bodies. With the better afternoon light and tripod both are great. Even though the full frame doesn't get the range it definatly makes up for that with its light sensitivty.

My overall recommendation: use in good quality light, use a tripod when you can, use the AV setting and keep the f-stop at 8.0 or above.

I have one of these also. Mounted on either a 50D or 7D I find focusing to be quick and effective. I have had an issue of slight back focus however so dial in some compensation to the AF microfocus adjustment to compensate. I'm still a little undecided on the quality of the results. It just doesnt seem to resolve detail to the same degree as the Canon 100-400. The OS is very effective however. For the money it's a very good lens I feel.

I've the 150-500 and have had some great results (30D/7D)! :t:

Also use the Canon 100-400 on occasion but much prefer the Sigma - better OS, AF and equally good images. OK, the build is better on the Canon and I actually like the 'pump' zoom but it is that really irritating colour! :C

It's been a few month now since I wrote the review... here what's new.
The lens was purchased especially for a birding trip to the Canadian east coast. Upon arrival the lens started to seek focus constantly, even on brightly lit areas with a large bird in view. It only got worse. I would have lost all those great opportunities on this trip had I not brough a lesser distant lens with me.

I now see Sigma has issued a recall for my lens due to focusing problems. Great job Sigma! I hope I get a replacement - not just a bandage job.

The sigma is back. They say it's issue was not the same as covered by the recall but that the motor itself had failed. No cost to repair. Now out in the field with the beast again and it is no longer acting up.

Back to birding again!

I've heard good things about Sigma's customer service. Good to see they took care of the problem, and you have the lens out and working.

sigma imaging service centre in the u.k is the tops ,i had a old 135-400 that would not stop down and they re-chipped it for £32-00 including return postage ,thats good ,and then a 105 macro that my lad had dropped and needed re-calibrating and a loose element re-fixed was done for circa £70 and all with a very quick turnround time ,canon would do well to take a leaf out of sigmas books ,as canon service centres are slow and ,very pricey .and don't tell you the true cost of repairs till its cost you a fortune in insured postage to get it to them

I've nothing but good things to say about Sigma Service - a while back now but I managed to get some sand in the shutter release button of my SD10. Not only fixed it under warranty (I explained I'd done it on a beach so my fault really!) but also replaced the mechanism and returned it within a week

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back