• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon Spotting Scope 2013 (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

I like that these appear to use a porro-prism design, maybe like the old Fieldscopes. Too bad the only fixed option is 38x, and that maximum mag for the zooms is 60x. Two zooms are listed. Presumably, both have good eye-relief compared to the pre-EDG zooms, and the 30-60x is wider field at equivalent magnifications than the 20-60x. I hope, like the EDG, these will take older Fieldscope eyepieces with an adapter. Since they don't need any updating to be competitive with other brands, it'd be great if Nikon continued to supply the old fixed magnification Fieldscope eyepieces, but that doesn't seem likely.

Interesting that these are modular (hope Nikon isn't headed for another patent issue with Swarovski, though the design must be quite different as these don't use an integrated design for the prism and ocular lens). If they come out with a bigger objective option than 82 mm, the modular design will be attractive, but as it is, I can't feature getting both the 60 and 82. I'd get the 82, and go for the 50ED if I really want a small scope.

If these sell (complete with case and eyepiece) in the $1500-$2000 range in the USA, I will perhaps not be too sad to see the old Fieldscopes go. Well, maybe that's not true. Those scopes are really good, proven designs, and they (used to) have a lot of versatile eyepiece options, including two ways to reach 75x without adapting astro eyepieces. It's too bad that Nikon didn't think to take advantage (through some better marketing) of its unique position in the market, of offering premium scopes at prices half or less than those of the competition (or their own EDG models). I bought my 30x DS Fieldscope eyepiece for $70 new, and it is still available for $270. The ~30x for the Prostaff 5 is ~$100. Meanwhile, the 30x for the EDG scopes is $950. I fear the pricing on these new Fieldscopes will be substantially higher in the USA than are/were the previous models.

--AP

Last edited:
More info at http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dl/catalogue/Nikon_MONARCH_Fieldscope_En.pdf and at http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/eyepieces-nep/index.htm - these eyepieces seem to have the standard 1.25" astro-size. If it will confirm is a great new although the wide angled 30-60x zoom has a not so good eye-relief for eye-glass users like me...:-C
The modular system is nice but I also miss a >90mm lens module - probably because the EDG maximum aperture is 85mm...

Hmmm... True field of view at lowest mag for both zooms disappointing (and, maximum mag, at least for 82mm, disappointing). And yes, too bad there's no larger objective mm module than 82. But if astro ep's really fit, that is very nice, and a selling point I would think.

Revision: TFOV at lowest mag for both zooms disappointing for the 82mm- but both zooms offer pretty wide fields for scanning at lowest power in the 60mm.

Last edited:
These certainly look interesting, and are a welcome step both back to the sensible and user-friendly size/weight/design parameters of the Fieldscopes (after the incomprehensible EDG series) and ahead with smart modularity and, at least in principle, the possibility to use third party astro eyepieces. Of course, we don't yet know which, if any, astro eyepices will reach infinity focus in this system. The angled prism seems to be a non-offset Schmidt, which is perhaps a pity from pure quality standpoint, but with tight enough manufacturing tolerances it can be good enough not to limit the optical performance.

The two-speed focus could very well be a nice feature. From the description it looks like it works very much the same way as the knob in the newer Diascopes.

The best feature is the three-part modularity, which means that if Nikon so decides, we could very well be getting both larger and smaller objective units down the road, as well as more eyepieces. Once the system includes a 100mm objective module and a WA zoom with a 30-90x magnification range, the time might come for me to sell my ATX 95 and go back to Nikon.

Kimmo

15 mm eye relief max on the zoom? No thanks. Cross this one off my shopping list of top end 'possibles'. Why oh why do Nikon do such poor eye relief?

Oh Yeah Boo Yah Take That Swarovski!

Just kidding - I need to calm down and grow up!

It looks like this has started the response to Swaro's modular system.

Sadly this probably spells the end for the original fieldscope.

Maybe there will be some bargains about for original fieldscope owners.

15 mm eye relief max on the zoom? No thanks. Cross this one off my shopping list of top end 'possibles'. Why oh why do Nikon do such poor eye relief?

the 38X/30x seems improved, slightly though,
and nikon might release better zooms later,
though I doubt it,

the 38X/30x seems improved, slightly though,
and nikon might release better zooms later,
though I doubt it,

Just seems to me an absolute waste of potential fitting such a nice looking and doubt high performing scope with such a tiny eye relief. That's shutting out half the market they could possibly reach.

The amount of birders I come across with glasses is by and large nearly 80%
Unlucky Nikon.

...at least in principle, the possibility to use third party astro eyepieces. Of course, we don't yet know which, if any, astro eyepices will reach infinity focus in this system ...
Kimmo

I just remembered that I wished a Nikon system like this (but with a >95mm version...). If these really use the 1,25" ep size, they must be at least reach focus with the Nikon NAV SW astro eyepieces (see http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/Eyepieces/60-to-72-wide-angle/Other.html), but would be better if it would also reach focus with the Nikon NAV HW 12.5 astro eyepiece (see http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/Eye...e/Other/Nikon-NAV-HW-125mm-eyepiece-2635.html). That would means 40/50x 102º eyepiece and most probably could also use the TV Ethos SX 4.7, so a 106x 110º AFOV eyepiece...o:D
Unfortunately both the HW 12.5 and the Ethos eye-relief aren't suitable for eye-glass users like me... :-C

On whether the angled version uses a non-off-set prism- here's a view of the scope that shows a very off-set look:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Fieldscopes/MONARCH/index.page

I don't know much of anything about optical design, but these sure look remarkably like black versions of the previous fieldscopes. Wonder if they are essentially the same optical design (which would be good).

Looking at this, I think you are right. That does look just like the offset oversized Schmidt housing of the Fieldscope ED III A. Taking a closer look at the pdf brochure, there is also one view of the angled prism housing from the rear, showing the eyepiece offset to the right. Also, the text about the prism talks about "Nikon's original total reflection prism design". This does mean that the table is set for a potentially very high quality system.

And, (this is for Henry) now there may be the possibility of buying just the 45 deg prism unit and rigging it onto a premium astro scope.

Kimmo

Last edited:
Wow..If this prism could be used as an erector for Astro scopes(dont see why not with the right fitting)This would be the death of the infamous amicci 45º terrestrial and Nikon can be selling lots of these..

"The MONARCH Angled Prism Unit uses Nikon's original total reflection prism."
and
"The MONARCH Straight Prism Unit uses a Porro prism to reduce the loss of light and ensure a bright and clear view."

Not sure if this of any help.

//L

This looks like the design the EDG should have had. If the optics are comparable to the old Fieldscopes these really should as good or better than the EDG scopes.

Yep, Kimmo, it looks like the 45º is offset. Hopefully the eyepiece barrels are 1.25" and a fairly simple adapter can be made to use the prism units on an astronomical refractor. Both should be superior to anything currently available for that use, angled or straight.

I think we need to wait for measurements of the zoom eyepieces' eye relief before assuming they're too short. In most zooms the problem is in the middle of the zoom range which is never in the specs because it would look so bad. If the eyepiece barrels are 1.25" I wonder why such a selling point isn't mentioned.

Henry

Last edited:
It is good see that Nikon is alive and well and has come out with a new
spotting scope, "Fieldscope". That name has meant the best of the Nikon
scopes over the past 20 years, so I am thinking this is the next best.
This model sounds good, and the modular features are interesting and
I have a question how that has value. I do not see users switching objectives very
often, but I may have lots to learn. I am wondering where they are manufactured, that makes a difference to me and others.

They have tied the Monarch name to these and that has always meant the best in the rifle scopes.

They have been dissected and evaluated before anyone has been able to report on a
look through one. I suppose a response from Mike, the Nikon rep. would be useful.

Jerry

Yes, I am sure we would all love to hear from anyone in the know at Nikon about whether astro eyepieces could indeed be used (and by extension whether the eyepieces could be used on astro scopes)- and what the focal lengths of these scopes might be.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back