• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aggressive Crows/Ravens - San Diego (1 Viewer)

yanksnick

Hello,

There is a population of crows that frequent my street in Pacific Beach (San Diego). Neighbors believe they nest in a couple of the palm trees along the street. I recently started taking my cat out in the yard with a harness. Crows started swooping dangerously close to her and loudly cawing at each other. A neighbor suggested I play crow sounds at them on my iPhone to keep them away. When doing so, they returned to their trees and stopped the aggressive behavior. Here comes the issue:

Today, the crows have started displaying aggressive behavior towards me, even when I'm not with the cat. When I leave my house, they immediately start to swarm and "dive bomb" very close to my head. They caw incessantly and follow me up all along my street. It is extremely distressing to me and my neighbors. It appears they are only doing this towards me. They aren't doing this to my other neighbors.

What is the best way to address this? How long will this last? Is there a way to correct it?

Thank you,

Nick

Last edited:
So did you try playing the same sounds that kept them away from your cat?

Crows can recognize individual people, they hold grudges, and they live a long time. Your defense of your cat got you onto their list, and now you're going to have a hard time getting off it.

I wonder if your cat attacked one of their youngsters?

You can try some obvious make-friends gestures, e.g. bringing them food, but it won't work quickly and it might not work at all.

Agree with nartreb on all points. I particularly like his idea of a food offering – make it something meaty that they're sure to like, dog food for example. Make sure they see you doing it, but don't stick around and don't get discouraged if it doesn't work right away.

Crows (like many other corvids) are interesting, behaviorally complex creatures who make good friends but bad enemies. Here's an old thread about gift exchanges between crows and a little girl--

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=300278&highlight=Crow,+gift

Last edited:
What's been said, plus:

It could be anything - All Corvids are very intelligent, but they're not super intelligent. They don't want much, just food and a safe place to nest/breed/roost - they will protect each other, and especially their young. They do seem to have very good memories, and anything that threatens either their food supply (other Corvid species) or their young (predators) aren't forgotten easily.

I've a pair of Crows that have visited my garden for a few years, one of them was on my fence, when it had it's tail very nearly grabbed by a Cat hiding behind the fence. The Crow had perched on that part of the fence regularly for years before flying down for food... it's been nowhere near that part of the fence since - that was a couple of years ago. However, the interesting thing is the other Crow, and the youngsters, also won't perch on that part of the fence, and the youngsters were not even hatched when it happened.

So, if you or your Cat have inadvertently harmed/threatened one of the Crows or their young - they won't forget, and the rest of their group will be aware of it as well.

What can you do? Gaining their trust with food (they like nuts, but will eat meat and fruit too) will work, but it's anybody's guess how long it will take. You could try wearing different clothing, like a different coat or wear a hat, just to see if it's not you but something you're wearing that bothers them. I should also mention the Crow noises you played, as that could be why they see you as a threat.

I appreciate your responses. All in line with my research, although not what I hoped to hear. Do you think this behavior will subside after nesting season? Or after a period of them seeing me as a non threat (i.e. without the cat or without playing crow noises)? I would offer them food but I don't want to draw more of their attention.

No, my cat did nothing to their young. The big crows would start hovering near her when I had her out on the leash which is why I was told to start playing the crow noises at them so they kept a distance (which they did). They instigated with her which is why I defended her. She was also on a harness, absolutely no threat to them.

I appreciate your responses. All in line with my research, although not what I hoped to hear. Do you think this behavior will subside after nesting season? Or after a period of them seeing me as a non threat (i.e. without the cat or without playing crow noises)? I would offer them food but I don't want to draw more of their attention.

No, my cat did nothing to their young. The big crows would start hovering near her when I had her out on the leash which is why I was told to start playing the crow noises at them so they kept a distance (which they did). They instigated with her which is why I defended her. She was also on a harness, absolutely no threat to them.

They see the cat--leashed or not--as a predator and react accordingly. They're intelligent, sure, but a lot of their behavior remains instinctive. And, yes, they should be less aggressive after the nesting season when the young are independent. But they're likely to remember you as an enemy so it will probably all start up again next spring. Unless, that is, you lose the cat and significantly alter your appearance. A long bushy beard maybe? ;)

I don't get that with the cats and large black birds, but my turtle goes out back, and they swoop and follow me around now and than. Especially when I stand out there to guard him. Maybe they are thinking about food!

You can tell I am just getting down this bird i.d. Having to search the difference between a Raven and a Crow. Since their in pairs, I assume Raven, didn't see the tails very clearly, mainly just their shadow, and something whizzing past us, very low.

Last edited:
Hey Yanksnick, I just posted on crows higher up in the thread, and I too live in Pacific Beach! Small World. Maybe the crows are particularly feisty or upset this year. I've lived in the same house for 6 years, and this year we have had more crow caws and noise than ever before. Best of luck with your situation. As my sister, the birder, would say, Appreciate the fact that you are experiencing a direct and personal interaction with nature :) That's what she said when I was stung by a sting ray.

What is the best way to address this? How long will this last? Is there a way to correct it?

Imho there is no need to correct it - live with it. You have the cat so one has to go along with the consequences.

One of my very best friends is mad about birds - she subscribes to bird consevation associations all over the world - but loves cats and very understandably has a few (mainly rescued local hungry cats) - the local breeding birds suffer every year, big time. One can't have it all ways.

Folk all too often want perfection - for them. The result, a sterile landscape with diminishng nature and an impoverished human experience (imho).

All the best - enjoy the spectacle and get a hat if you think you might get scratched ;)

Last edited:
...and by the way, you don't need to defend your cat from the crows. Your cat will defend itself easily, the crows are just mobbing it and may attempt a little cheeky peck but will soon back off with a swipe of cat claws no contest ;) :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back