• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Might take the jump, 7x42s? (1 Viewer)

eetundra

I am finally convincing myself that it is okay to spend more for a binocular than I have paid for a car. I am used to using a nackered 7x50 marine porro and I do like the big bright image. I am talking myself into a 7x42 but I am hard pressed to find a store that carries any here. As I read through some posts here the concern I have is in regards to edge-sharpness. My current glass is good from what I can tell regarding this issue. I have seen on-line for sale Leica BN, Leica Ultravid, Swarovski SLC, and the newer Zeiss. I guess I missed out on the older Zeiss. Of these do some stay sharper at the edges than others? The old Leica and Swarovski can be had fro quite a bit less than the new Leica and Zeiss, are they yesterdays news or just yesterday's model?

Thanks.

eetundra said:
I am finally convincing myself that it is okay to spend more for a binocular than I have paid for a car. I am used to using a nackered 7x50 marine porro and I do like the big bright image. I am talking myself into a 7x42 but I am hard pressed to find a store that carries any here. As I read through some posts here the concern I have is in regards to edge-sharpness. My current glass is good from what I can tell regarding this issue. I have seen on-line for sale Leica BN, Leica Ultravid, Swarovski SLC, and the newer Zeiss. I guess I missed out on the older Zeiss. Of these do some stay sharper at the edges than others? The old Leica and Swarovski can be had fro quite a bit less than the new Leica and Zeiss, are they yesterdays news or just yesterday's model?

Thanks.
The SLC 7X42 is a fantastic bin and, in my experience, will have the best edge sharpness.

All the 7X42's mentioned are VERY good binoculars and any one of them will satisfy your senses.

John

I have a pair of SLC 7x42's and consider them fine binoculars. They are sharp as near to the edge as you could ask for and are superbly balanced. If I had one complaint, it would be that they could do with a few ounces shaved off - perhaps I could put them on a diet!! They are extremely bright and useful for astronomy - I bought them as dual purpose binoculars. They also have a view that you can just look at for hours, with no eye strain. I also consider the lower magnification compared to a 8x42 to be almost insignificant in the real World, although I am sure that many others will disagree. Trouble is I still have a craving for a decent pair of 10x32's, now how much are those Nikon's at Warehouse Express................
Paskman

I use 7x42 Ultravids and love them - bright, sharp great fov... I've also tried the FLs and the SLCs and know I'd have been equally happy with them. I recently tested the Leica 7x42 BN and was very disapointed in it, to my eyes it's the weakest model in the BN range.

The SLC 7X42 is a fantastic bin and, in my experience, will have the best edge sharpness.

All the 7X42's mentioned are VERY good binoculars and any one of them will satisfy your senses.

John

My thoughts as well.

FrankD said:
My thoughts as well.

Ditto

I have recently bought a pair of the older Swarovksi 7x42 SLCs. When I say older, they are only a year or so old and were bought at a great price just after the new SLC models came out.

I compared them side by side with a new old stock Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt Classics and preferred them. The image seemed a tad brighter to me and of course they are waterproof.

They are quite heavy, but very comfortable to use. I'm delighted with them

postcardcv said:
I use 7x42 Ultravids and love them - bright, sharp great fov... I've also tried the FLs and the SLCs and know I'd have been equally happy with them. I recently tested the Leica 7x42 BN and was very disapointed in it, to my eyes it's the weakest model in the BN range.

do you think the 8+42 model would be any better?

I was of the opinion the all 7mag bins would out perform their higher mag cousins in terms of sharpness,brightness and field of view?

matt

matt green said:
do you think the 8+42 model would be any better?

I was of the opinion the all 7mag bins would out perform their higher mag cousins in terms of sharpness,brightness and field of view?

matt

Hi Matt

I'm not too sure what the problem is with them - I've always been a big fan of the BNs but for some reason was underwhelmed by the 7x42 (though always liked the 8x42). In my opinion the difference between BNs and Ultrvaids is most notceable on the 7x42s.

It might just be that the pair I tried were dodgy, but they failed to have that wow factor that Leicas normally have. Where as every pair of 7x42 Ultravid (and FLs for that matter) that I've tried have been stunning. I'd rate the 7x42 Ultravid as the best bins I've ever used/tried - the 7x42 FLs are also excellent, but I prefer the handling of the Leicas and the 30 year warranty is nice and reassuring.

though my current bins [opticron 7+42 imagic] can't quite compete with the leicas and swarovski's they definately show the advantages of lower power binoculars

the guy at cley spy brought them out while i was testing various roof prism and porro prism models priced from £110-200,as soon as i put the opticrons to my eyes i knew which model i was talking home

before trying them i would never have considered using 7+42 since using them i've never found myself wanting more magnification even viewing quite distant birds,the extra brightness and field of view makes 7+ more desirable
than 8+,though many would disagree[this is birdforum after all ;) ]

the extra stability is the cherry on top!

matt

Last edited:
I tried the 7X42, but really did care for them. I compared the 7x42 Leica to the 8X42. The Leica person said how much more detail I would see with the 7X. I did not see any difference, but that could just be me. I have an 8X32 and a 10X50, and I often find myself choosing the 10X50 because of the unbelievable detail I get with the 10X50. The only downside is the narrow FOV. I am thinking of buying a Zeiss 10X42 for an improved FOV.

Everytime I am out with my 8X I find myself thinking "if I just had a little more power I could tell if the bird has an eye ring."

But each person should try and then choose what works best for him/her.

Lewie said:
....Everytime I am out with my 8X I find myself thinking "if I just had a little more power I could tell if the bird has an eye ring."..

That's why I usually carry along a scope. A bit cumbersome at first, but then it provides more than just a boost from 8x to 10x. Plus steadied by a tripod.

Interesting this thread came up. I am waiting for an inheritance which means I soon likely can receive a significant amount. Many years I have been waiting for the moment to purchase a high end binocular. I have tried the most of those in store and Swarovski is my favorite in front of Zeiss, Leica and Nikon. I just feel they are best in the hands, and I like the wide diameter of the eyecups, which feels great for eyeglasses.

Likely I will soon order a Swarovski SLC 7x42 of the new version. I know the SLC:s are heavier than the most competitors, but think about that a heavier binocular provides a more stable view. There are advantages and disadvantages with all binoculars, and if I consider a 10x42 it would possibly be a Nikon 10x42 HG DCF with 19mm eye relief in comparison to Swarovski SLC 10x42 with 14 mm. I am also considering a Swarovski SLC 10x50 to complement the 7x42. But I don't know if the 17mm ER is adequate, in many cases it's borderline case. (Is it right expression?)

Regards, Patric

Tundra, you didn't specity budget so take this for what it's worth, but if you can afford the Ultravid 7x42... GET IT! I've used and/or peered through all the 7x42's you mention. I currently carry a Swaro 8x30 SLC (having used other Swaro's and a Leica) and my hunting partner a 7x42 SLC... I can boldly say the 7x42 Ultravid is the finest bin it's ever been my pleasure to peer through... IMO it has no rival and is the finest bin currently found on planet earth, end of story. My partner who carries the 7x42 SLC agrees exactly too.

Is that a strong enough reccomendation?

eetundra said:
Budget is not an issue, I am buying to last the rest of my life.
Go with Zeiss. I used the old 7x42 classics for 8 years until they were lifted from a hostel in Thailand. I loved them so much that as soon as I can afford to I will go back to the same model. For me their light gathering capability and sharpness are incredible. A great binocular for all conditions, but really have the edge in any low light situation.
Would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the classics and has moved on to the new 7x model....

I've looked through the SLC and it was very nice, but it is the only one I've looked at yet.

Does anybody know of or have done a test to measure which upmarket 7x42 is best at the edges?

eetundra said:
Does anybody know of or have done a test to measure which upmarket 7x42 is best at the edges?

Hi,

I have owned both the SLC & Ultravid 7x42 binos and would say that there is not much to choose between them. However, for brightness and central sharpness the U'vids are next to impossible to beat. Take a look at:

http://www.kikkertspesialisten.no/kikkerttest.htm 7x binos

where for Edge Sharpness (randsone skarphet) the SLCs scored 11 and the U'vids 11+.

There is one English example to help translate but overall the Ultravid outperforms all other 7x42s except for the Zeiss FL (contrast only) - joint first; the SLC coming 5th.

The fact that I still have the U'vid 7x42s tells you where my money went!

Chris

About the sharpness I am sure that the most people are not able to notice the difference between the number of 10 in comparison to 11 in the norwegian comparison. I am doubtful that average people are able to see any difference in sharpness (except from the edge) between any of the high-grades Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica or Fujinon. The real difference which makes sense is between the low- middle-price and the most expensive ones.

eetundra said:
The edge is what I am asking about.

I´m afraid kikkerterspesialisten is wrong here and this is not the first time. When it comes to edge sharpness of current 7x42 high class binos the order is this (> means better then):

Swaro>Leica>Zeiss

The price of that edge sharpness is a higher weight because they have to use bigger prisms.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back