• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: EL SV 10x50 (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
There is a new review on the Allbino's site of the SV 10x50.

It is an interesting read, and I am thinking some here will enjoy it.

Jerry

Dennis won't - dust in one tube, 85% transmission, moderate CA - and he loves to cite Allbinos, so off to the 'bay they go....

BTW - what's up with Allbinos transmission data? I know they said it was now more accurate but some of the figures are really low - like the EL - that kind of figure is what we would expect for a made-in-China bin.

I never tried it and I probably never will but I wonder why it is ranked 2nd in Allbino's ratings of 19 different 10x50 binoculars behind the Nikon 10x50 WX IF 100th year anniversary binocular (They are remarkably close in their final ratings!?) : And why, in the 7 individual ratings attached to it, 6 of the users gave it a solid 5 Stars rating? Unless, of course, some users are very happy with it!

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x50.html

Bob

Last edited:
I never tried it and I probably never will but I wonder why it is ranked 2nd in Allbino's ratings of 19 different 10x50 binoculars behind the Nikon 10x50 WX IF 100th year anniversary binocular (They are remarkably close in their final ratings!?) : And why, in the 7 individual ratings attached to it, 6 of the users gave it a solid 5 Stars rating? Unless, of course, some users are very happy with it!

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x50.html

Bob

Actually, appears one individual posted Five "5 star" reviews with no supportive comments (must have been EXTREMELY Pleased |:S|). I happen to agree with a 5-star rating, but did add a few -experiences in the field- personal user comments to support my rated opinions!

Ted

There is a new review on the Allbino's site of the SV 10x50.

It is an interesting read, and I am thinking some here will enjoy it.

Jerry

Pretty interesting....but kind of a strange read IMO...

Dennis won't - dust in one tube, 85% transmission, moderate CA - and he loves to cite Allbinos, so off to the 'bay they go....

BTW - what's up with Allbinos transmission data? I know they said it was now more accurate but some of the figures are really low - like the EL - that kind of figure is what we would expect for a made-in-China bin.

HAHA....

I scratch my head sometimes when I read Allbinos transmission data. I can't imagine it being anywhere but say 88-90%. Can you?

The exit pupil looks just exactly like every SV binocular I have.

I scratch my head sometimes when I read Allbinos transmission data. I can't imagine it being anywhere but say 88-90%. Can you?

The exit pupil looks just exactly like every SV binocular I have.

I agree Chuck - Allbino's transmission figures are all over the shop ! :brains:

The dust (or whatever it is) all over the prisms (or floating around loose inside) is simply inexcusable on equipment in this price range .... actually you wouldn't tolerate it at half the price, and I've even sent stuff back that was only a fifth of the price for exactly the same reason ..... grrr

Chosun :gh:

What is the different ocular (s) Lewy and Prawy presented on the graph?

I thought this was an interesting comment.

Allbinos May 2018

"Our test also emphasized another tendency: even the best producers have started to save on quality control. Specks of dust shouldn’t have been inside the casing and the transmission should have been as high as in the previous 10×42 and 8.5×42 models examined by us earlier, closer rather to 90% than 85% like in our test."

Andy W.

Lewy and Prawy = Left and right! (couldn't be anything else, but I used Google to be sure).

I have looked over the review, it might seem critical to some but the final result is very good: the SV 10x50 tops the ranking together with the WX. I agree with Allbinos comment on CA: there is a bit more off-axis CA in the SV 10x50 than I expected; I also own the SV 12x50 and curiously they seem to have less CA than the 10x50.

I think Allbinos should perhaps review another SV 10X50 to double check the brightness levels, however as he has not reviewed the Leica UV HD+ which I own, I think many would be surprised how bright they are.

Andy W.

I do not how many here have viewed through a WX 10X50, they are in a different class by themselves esp. on the night sky, but due to the weight have to be on a tripod.

Andy W.

Strange, I have this binocular and I'm mighty impressed, I've owned many high end bins over the years and honestly I struggle to see this binocular being improved on, perhaps I have a good example!

There is a possible trap in transmission measurements: the lenses must be absolutely optically clean before performing the measurements and sometimes one even can not see by eye that something is wrong but it can result in lower transmssion data. We had that once too and asked the producer of that particular binocular what could be the problem and to make a long story short: the front lenses of eyepieces and objectives were not optically perfectly clean. It is kind of embarrassing but our only comfort is the saying we also confront our students with: he/she who never makes mistakes often makes nothing.
Gijs van Ginkel

In november 2011 we have investigated the 10x50 Swarovision and the 12x50. We measured a light transmission of 89% for the 10x50 at 555 nm. The data were not published, the investigation also included the Leica Ultravid 10x50HD and the Swarovision 12x50. The spectra of the 10x50 and 12x50 Swarovision were almost identical.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back