• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Guillemot Killing!!! (1 Viewer)

When I went to see the Greater Sand Plover at Snettisham a dog took a Dunlin which was feeding at the water's edge.

The pictures are no fun to view but looking at the BG wasn't it inevitable that something was going to kill it or it would die slowly and horribly? If the photographer thought differently from what he saw in the field perhaps he should have tried to intervene rather than continuing to take pictures.

Stephen

And the bigger picture - wildlife are being squeezed into less an less:

Google: Population Matters (with Sir David Attenborough and Chris Packham amoungst a whole host of top scientists)

I have to say that I witnessed the same thing on a larger scale, a few years ago. The beaches at Hoylake and West Kirby were full of dead and exhausted Dunlin (I dissected a few of the corpses and found them to be quite heavily bruised, as though they had been caught in a hail storm ) and I witnessed a man allowing his dog to chase and kill the birds ( the live ones - before anyone even thinks of suggesting they were the corpses!). When I spoke to him he just said " Well, I won't have to feed him tonight, will I?" There are times I'm really glad we have strict gun laws here in the UK.

Chris

The pictures are no fun to view but looking at the BG wasn't it inevitable that something was going to kill it or it would die slowly and horribly? If the photographer thought differently from what he saw in the field perhaps he should have tried to intervene rather than continuing to take pictures.

Stephen
Exactly my thinking and too be honest I'm sure soon after it would have fallen to a more natural predator like a large gull for example. If the dog was taking a healthy bird say a chick or maybe eggs then it would be a completly different matter.

I find those images of the dog and Guillemot extremely sickening and totally disgusting!! :C I also find it very disturbing the amount of dogs and their walkers taking over our beautiful parks, gardens and beaches leaving disgusting messes behind, either in the sand, paths, fields or in bags thrown into bushes; as well as increasingly menacing behaviour from dogs! This demonstrates complete disrespect for other people and animals/birds!

I have to say that I witnessed the same thing on a larger scale, a few years ago. The beaches at Hoylake and West Kirby were full of dead and exhausted Dunlin (I dissected a few of the corpses and found them to be quite heavily bruised, as though they had been caught in a hail storm ) and I witnessed a man allowing his dog to chase and kill the birds ( the live ones - before anyone even thinks of suggesting they were the corpses!). When I spoke to him he just said " Well, I won't have to feed him tonight, will I?" There are times I'm really glad we have strict gun laws here in the UK.

Chris

Chris, I was over at Leasowe recently, near the lighthouse and I was gobsmacked to see 23 dogs between 5 people! Most were off the lead and running through the open fields flushing nesting Skylarks!

I really am very unhappy having to tread carefully through public areas, because of the amount of dog dirt! Very annoying! :C That, though, is for another topic!

Last edited:
You are probably right, but you could try rather than continue snapping.

Stephen

And then the irate dog owner storms over as you're attempting to save the bird from the dog by using the only means you have, physical force and then risk getting into a fight with the owner while you've got some very expensive camera gear on you or nearby that can be very easily damaged in a malicious and cowardly attack if someone felt so inclined. It's hard to standby and do nothing for sure but you have to consider the possible consequences of any and all actions you take.

Education is key and I think a topic such as this should be featured on local newscasts more regularly or a key segment on the upcoming Springwatch which could expose this kind of reckless behaviour from dog owners and remind them about the consequences of their actions and that of their dogs. I mean that'd give Chris yet another excuse to work his poodles into the show, as if he needed one that is!

Think this might need to be in a different forum though so have moved it.

Chris

Hi
That man sounds like a disgusting horrible inconsiderate person. If I had been in that situation (and if the person was about my age) I would have to stop myself from punching them in the face!

The more sensible thing to do would be to call the police, as i believe dunlin are protected?

Nah just get a bigger dog and set it on him, then when he's crying on the floor, tell him the same thing...at least I ain't gotta feed him tonight ;) What a pr*ck

Education is key and I think a topic such as this should be featured on local newscasts more regularly or a key segment on the upcoming Springwatch which could expose this kind of reckless behaviour from dog owners and remind them about the consequences of their actions and that of their dogs. I mean that'd give Chris yet another excuse to work his poodles into the show, as if he needed one that is!

What a good idea why don't you write and suggest it, drawing their attention to the photos?

What a good idea why don't you write and suggest it, drawing their attention to the photos?

That's the first time anyone has accused me of having a good idea! ;)

I wouldn't know where to begin with such a thing. If anyone has suggestions or would like to take it upon themselves?

The thing is how do you prevent it? even at holme dunes when the gate is shut i have witnessed dog owners open said gate and then drive up let the dog out leadless and then continue towards the dunes and this is supposed to be a reserve its obviously locals whom seem to think its their right !
makes it worse when they have a pair of bins with them, you would think they would stop and think a bit more!!

I wouldn't know where to begin with such a thing. If anyone has suggestions or would like to take it upon themselves?

There is a link for "Send a Programme idea" on the webpage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/

If nobody else takes up the idea I will but I feel from the posts a number of you have experience (first hand) of this sort of thing, while I don't.

Producers/researchers sometimes post in the TV forum on here looking for feedback and suggestions.

They've also got a Twitter account http://twitter.com/#!/bbc_springwatch, you could post a message through that. If you don't use Twitter, I could post a message for you as it's something that is important and it's a great way of getting the message across.

Edit: Just remembered that one of their researchers opened a new thread in the TV forum not that long ago. Here's an e-mail address they provided for feedback (although they were asking for specific types of feedback, I'm sure it wouldn't cause any harm to use it) [email protected]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back