• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls off Kota Kinabalu, January 2020 (1 Viewer)

Bill Jolly

Bill J
I had views of these gulls offshore at Kota Kinabalu a couple of weeks ago.
Brown-headed?, Slender-billed?, I just don't have the familiarity.

All help appreciated.

Attachments

• kkgulls-466.jpg
    kkgulls-466.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • kkgulls-447.jpg
    kkgulls-447.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 72
you are right with the gull , wing pattern is blackheaded , hand all wrong for brown-headed with not enough black- didn´t remember that correctly

I would say that the tern in #1 is too short- and broad-winged for Black-naped. I agree with Joern that it looks more like a Chlidonias, probably Whiskered with that head pattern.

The gulls in #2 are tricky but I suspect are also Black-headed. The head profile doesn't look right for Slender-billed and they don't seem full-chested like Brown-headed. The terns in this photo are Greater Crested.

Tern in first pic looks like Whiskered to me too.

Me too - look at the size of it for a start, not to mention the wing length and tail shape.

Re the gulls, according to my copy of Phillipps, only Black-headed Gull has been observed in Borneo. This may of course be out of date.

Ditto to Black-headed Gull and Whiskered Tern.

From Olsen & Larsson's Gulls, Brown-headed doesn't get that far southeast, only gets to Vietnam / Cambodia, not to Indonesia; Black-headed does get there though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back