• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

To save time and effort here's a couple of recent pix of Big Whitey.

John

Attachments

• 20200120 (2)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20200120 (2)_Red_Fox.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200210 (4)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20200210 (4)_Red_Fox.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 24
Fortunately we are not at that stage (yet) in the UK, though cases in Leics shot up from 7 to 17 yesterday and this is one of the less-affected areas.

I have made the decision to limit my birding to my garden except when I need to go shopping, on those occasions making a short visit to the nearest reservoir where it is easy to avoid contact with anyone. Plus if I feel I'm going mad with isolation I might have a very occasional visit to Rutland Water.

Very wise Steve, do you do the Yard listings on eBird as I do now? I wish people would not call their ‘yard’ a 10 squarekm area that they go walking in, that sounds like a local patch to me;)
Of course in Jos’ case his garden really is that big so he’s forgiven! We’re waiting for an early spring update from Lithuania in fact......

ThanksJohn, I was being lazy as I remember seeing Whitey photos on your mammal thread.
Ken, I didn’t see a Redpoll all last year ( first zero sightings year since
I arrived in France in 2006), Siskin virtually absent all winter, same for Crossbill, none since last August.

....Yes Richard, one species down could be called a blip! However, what would you call 7 species down?...:eek!:

Very wise Steve, do you do the Yard listings on eBird as I do now? I wish people would not call their ‘yard’ a 10 squarekm area that they go walking in, that sounds like a local patch to me;)
Of course in Jos’ case his garden really is that big so he’s forgiven! We’re waiting for an early spring update from Lithuania in fact......

Certainly do - and agree about the people who fail to understand how it should work. When you get people including walks of two miles etc - that's a lot of circuits of my garden.

Steve

Certainly do - and agree about the people who fail to understand how it should work. When you get people including walks of two miles etc - that's a lot of circuits of my garden.

Steve

As a reviewer for eBird most of these 'gardens' have been removed, in the UK anyway. Harder to remove peoples 'patches' that are a whole county or even two or three together in the patch league though!

Since we all include sightings 'from' the garden, mine is no bigger than many I suppose :) Only difference is if I can see it, usually it is within my borders :) :) :)

Was going to skip this thread this year, but seeing the current situation I may as well jump in. Will update in next days.

We have a 2-acre fenced area around the house and sheds before the mid-altitude rainforest reserve of 120 acres, located at Topaz near Malanda on the Atherton Tablelands of Far North Queensland. We moved here in mid-February and all my birding has been incidental around this smaller area, but I am gradually building up the list, and now we are self-isolating seems a good point to join the thread.
Common birds are Lewin's Honeyeater, Dusky Honeyeater, Eastern Spinebill and Pied Currawong, whilst Tooth-billed Bowerbird calls nearby, as do Victoria's Riflebird and Spotted Catbird. Chowchilla calls every morning, and what sounds like Rufous Shrike-thrush, though my son took a photo of a Bower's Shrike-thrush, so they overlap here. Australian Swiftlets appear from time to time, and we have a noisy flock of Helmeted Guineafowl that wander in and out and beat up the cockerel and our german shepherd, who both initially thought they might be good to chase but overlooked guineafowl group solidarity!
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets and King Parrots are regular, as are Rainbow Lorikeet, and we get a few Double-eyed Fig-Parrots, but oddly I have yet to see a single diurnal raptor in 5 weeks here now. Nightbirds are Southern (Red) Boobook calling most nights, and sometimes Lesser Sooty Owl heard.
Recent additions have been White-eared Monarch, Varied Triller, Rainbow Bee-eater and Brown Cuckoo-Dove, with occasional Pacific Emerald Dove and Wompoo Fruit-Dove, plus Hornbill Friarbird.
Given the shut-down we will be adding to this as autumn advances, as I envisage at least 3-4 months here. Tourism has collapsed and the north is doing it tough, with many people, ourselves included, now out of work. Best wishes to all and stay safe.

Sounds like a great place to “ride out” the storm Sicklebill, effectively you’ll be “locked out” of the “locked down” world. :t:

Local Greylags over the house calling before I even got out of bed this morning!

21. Greylag Goose 2+ over
22. Feral Pigeon (I suppose it had to happen sometime.)
23. Jackdaw

Whitey rocked up three times last night before I went to bed and again when a wakeful Maz went down for a fag during the night. I suspect he is either feeding his vixen or caching some of this.

John

Lots of movement this morning - Redwings, Fieldfares, Wood Pigeons and two

57: Curlew

I had two Curlews this morning as well, but sadly not over my garden where they would be a tick but over Swithland Reservoir, where I see them about once every two years. Even better were 2 very distant Cranes a few minutes later, #191 for my reservoir list.

Steve

I had two Curlews this morning as well, but sadly not over my garden where they would be a tick but over Swithland Reservoir, where I see them about once every two years. Even better were 2 very distant Cranes a few minutes later, #191 for my reservoir list.

Steve

Ooh, nice one Steve! Here, one of the resident species (that I see every time I walk from the house through the forest to the village) finally deigned to honour us with a visit:

54 Goldcrest

Otherwise it was all very springlike, with Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Black Redstart and Crag Martins all getting in the mood, just the increase in Brambling numbers to around sixty(!) reminded us that there's a bit of winter left. Some of the males are looking superb, but I liked this female(see photo) enjoying a sunlit shower.:t:

Attachments

• p d n fem.jpg
    p d n fem.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Goldcrest 21.3.20.jpg
    Goldcrest 21.3.20.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 26
Curlews and Goldcrest here too over the past couple days. Stormy conditions have produced good seawatching too, 3000+ RT Divers and 1100+ Gannets today was quite the sight...

81 Ringed Plover 19-Mar-20
82 Curlew 19-Mar-20
83 Kestrel 20-Mar-20
84 Goldcrest 20-Mar-20
85 Manx Shearwater 21-Mar-20

Whitey twice yesterday evening. The second time he was dirtied up with earth as if he'd just been underground and hadn't cleaned up again. His second visit was followed a little later by Rip (vixen, unsure if connected to Whitey but they are quite tolerant of each other) for the first time in a few days.

Quiet this morning so far.

John

22 March

Two plus Egyptian Geese over calling woke me up.

24. Egyptian Goose

Later, I went out and did a watch from the back garden. Cold in the house shade with the East wind!

25. Collared Dove
26. Red Kite (one over low, just patrolling, then another very high heading deliberately North.)

John

March 22nd.

53. Mute Swan - 1 flew over, well overdue
54. Chiffchaff - 1 flycatching and then singing

Ryan's 3000 Red-throated Divers and 1100 Gannets take some beating on a garden list. I suppose I just might get a Gannet one day.

Steve

I was hoping to try some more vis-migging today (I'm a glutton for punishment I know) but the whole area was in cloud till early afternoon, when the local Buzzards started to appear. Installed on the bench I was watching a pair in the distance when what I first took to be a Mistle Thrush or Ring Ousel flashed in front of one of them, it banked left - a falcon! Sure enough, a male Merlin, it even had the temerity to dive bomb a Buzzard further up the valley before it sped further east. Only my second here, the other one an October bird. That raptor feel only increased with at least three, probably four different Sparrowhawks about, then a female Goshawk directly overhead (unusually no alarm calls from crows to alert me so my photo is of its rear end as it went into the distance:C). Next thing a male Peregrine flashed by the side of the house, again I was too slow but later it did a few circles high up for me to get an image or two for the record. All this occurred in the space of 75 minutes, finishing off with an obliging camera friendly first garden Red Kite of the year. Previous years' first Red Kites have been in mid-April, probably immature non-breeders, but this date is early enough for a prospecting bird, they have never nested in the valley so fingers crossed.

55 Merlin
56 Peregrine Falcon
57 Red Kite

Attachments

• 22.3.2020 2.jpg
    22.3.2020 2.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Peregrine 22.3.20.jpg
    Peregrine 22.3.20.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Red Kite 22.3.20.jpg
    Red Kite 22.3.20.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
With the arrival of the first Easterlies this Winter (South East?) and high pressure yesterday and today (with the rest of the week looking good too), I took to the skies with my bins and it's certainly been looking up ;)
Being West facing with the stiff Easterlies blowing off the ridge behind me, it proved to be an attractive draw for local raptors (especially lunch time), and hopefully from elsewhere.

Between 8am-2pm circa one distant flying (or should I say ''trying'' LSWoody) fluttering into the oncoming wind, 6-10 Common Buzzards 4 together at one time, at least 3 Sprawks with one displaying in the middle of 2 displaying Common Buzzards, what appeared to be a ''fork-tailed'' sprawk! another Accip.albeit unassigned, a Peregrine (my 2nd in 2 days/4th for year), plus my 13th Red Kite sighting (gotta be a record) so far for the year...almost joining us for tea. :eek!:....however no ticks, but I'm not complaining....says he nervously looking over his shoulder. ;)

Attachments

• P2180169.jpeg      Pereg.1..jpeg
    P2180169.jpeg Pereg.1..jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P2180297.jpeg   Fork tailed Acciptoday.jpeg
    P2180297.jpeg Fork tailed Acciptoday.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 30
  • P2180310.jpeg   Acciptoday 2..jpeg
    P2180310.jpeg Acciptoday 2..jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P2180386.jpeg   Buzby over the roof.jpg
    P2180386.jpeg Buzby over the roof.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 24
  • P2180358.jpeg   RK nearly dropping in for tea.jpeg
    P2180358.jpeg RK nearly dropping in for tea.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back