• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (2 Viewers)

I fully agree it's not at all plausible that Sharpe might have named a bird "burrowsii" after his wife.
The main 'risk' would be a male relative of his wife.
Maybe there are good reasons to reject this option -- e.g., no male relatives left around...? I just don't know. I'm merely trying to attract the attention on the possible existence of that risk.

When one door closes, another door opens
Spurred by Björn's remark (see #275) and in an effort to achieve consistency, I asked Ferran Gil, the magician of Lynx Edicions, to supply a further list of Key entries containing the word "dedication". I have combined the various lists, so now the Key should only contain unexplained entries which read either "Etymology undiscovered" or "dedicatee yet to be identified." Rather than repeat previous desiderata (see #1, #228, #255, #267) I give here a combined list of "unknown" new names/headers which may prove of interest to readers (see the actual Key entries for fuller details);

almae, angelica, Bathilda, belousovi, birchalli, danaoides, Dorisella, Dorisornis, ekloni, elizae, Eulidia, garrinus, gertrudis, gilmorius, hauseri, lyardi, magdalenae, margarithae, marianae, melittae, nigellii, norrisii, pereversievi, rubinoi, shenana, theresae.

I hope the list is up-to-date; some names have certainly been aired on this forum before, and I can only apologise for any repetitions or inadmissions (I haven't yet had a chance to absorb today's Birdforum). Note that I will insert the description/citation details under gertrudis, melittae, and nigellii, when time permits.

Wow! Yet another list added, keep'em coming James, the more the merrier ... this time with some truly odd ones, like:

ekloni as in "Sitta Ekloni" PRZHEWALSKY (alt. PRJVALSKY/PRZHEVALSKI/PRZEWALSKI, etc.) 1883 (Richmond card here) [Note: it's "Sitta eckloni", by same Author, in 1884, according to the/a second Richmond card, here].

For a better (Russian) reference for the former one/version, see here, with text in both Russian and German.

And good luck finding it, and its meaning!

Björn

theresae (again)

... Des Murs's Conopophaga Theresæ, Conopophage de Thérèse (synonym of Hylophylax naevius theresae) ...

Joek, just to be a bit picky (but mostly as you're fairly new here, in the Bird Name Etymology subforum), even if clearly (literally) synonymous, Œillet des Murs's "Conopophaga Theresæ", is (in this context) not what we usually call a synonym (as in a junior/senior one) of the Spot-backed Antbird ssp. Hylophylax naevius theresae, but simply a protonym (the original way it was described/written).

Either way, I´ve got no idea on the Etymology itself ... your guess is as good as mine. Or as any. And (from what I understand); it's a fairly good one

Also (for anyone else), while I'm at it; des Murs's "Conopophage de Thérèse Conopophaga Theresæ" (here, and Plate here, fig.2), from the "Castelnau Expedition, 1850-59" (all in French).

If of any help?

/B

For (poor) scans of the original text, you can go to http://www.docme.ru/download/1050864 (check the "Я не робот" box, then click "Скачать PDF 20,35 Mb").
Alternatively, a modern Russian transcriptions can be found, i.a. at: http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/Dokumenty/China/XIX/1860-1880/Przevalskij_3/frametext8.htm . (This should take you directly to the part that includes the name.)

On p. 368 of the original, the only information we get is "новый видъ поползня, который названъ мною Sitta Еklопі" ("a new species of nuthatch which I have named Sitta Еklопі"). The spelling of the species name is corrected to Eckloni in an errata sheet at the end of the book; in the 'modern' version, the corrected spelling eckloni is used directly in the text. Although not stated explicitly, it's quite clear from the rest of the text that this name must be an eponym after Федор Леонтьевич Эклон (Fedor Leontyevich Eklon).

P. 2 of Przheval'skiy's original text (modern transcription [here]):
Ближайшими моими помощниками, принесшими неоцѣпимыя услуги дѣлу экспедиціи, были два офицера, прапорщики — Федоръ Леонтьевичъ Эклонъ и Всеволодъ Ивановичъ Роборовскій. Первый изъ нихъ, еще будучи юнкеромъ, сопутствовалъ мнѣ на Лобъ-норъ; второй теперь впервые отправлялся въ Азію. Эклону поручено было препарированіе млекопитающихъ, птицъ и пр., словомъ, завѣдываніе зоологическою коллекціею; Роборовскій же рисовалъ и собиралъ гербарій. Кромѣ того, оба названные офицера помогали мнѣ и въ другихъ научныхъ работахъ экспедиціи.
(= My closest assistants, who brought invaluable services to the expedition, were two officers, ensigns — Fedor Leontyevich Eklon and Vsevolod Ivanovich Roborovskiy. The first of them, while still a cadet, accompanied me to Lob-nor; the second now went for the first time to Asia. Eklon was entrusted with the preparation of mammals, birds, etc., in a word, managing the zoological collection; Roborovskiy, on the other hand, drew and assembled the herbarium. In addition, these two named officers both helped a lot in other scientific works of the expedition.)

Born 1857, did not die before 1916 according to [here].

Last edited:
What Hartert 1920 writes about this (under "Ardea rhenana") seems to make sense to me. I.e.:

- The name does not occur in Sander 1779, but the heron there described was from "unsern Rhein-Gegenden".
- Bechstein 1809, in reference to Sander's description, called that bird rhenana.
- Sharpe 1898 misspelled this "shenana", attributing it, in error, directly to Sander.

Furthermore:

- Sharpe also added a reference to Vieillot 1817, p. 415, where rhenana/shenana does not occur either, but Ardea johanna does. The latter was the immediately preceding entry in Sharpe's list of synonyms, hence it can be presumed that this reference was intended to be associated to that name instead of "shenana".
- Finally, Reichenow 1901 appears to have accidentally merged Sharpe's two references into a single one, citing the name as "shenana" like Sharpe, attributing it to Sander, but with the year and page that Sharpe cited from Vieillot.

theresae (#279)
Joek. I agree with your suggestion that this name applies to the Empress Consort of Brazil, and have edited the Key entry accordingly. Strictly, as indicated by Björn, the vernacular "Conopophage de Thérèse" has no place in modern nomenclature (see ICZN, ed. 4, 1999, Recommendation 11A). However, such names are often listed in the fuller synonymies of the older check-lists, nomenclators, etc. I have just been reading Reichenow's Die Vögel Afrikas, and his synonymies include the vernacular names of de Buffon, Levaillant and others.

ekloni (#285)
Laurent. I had hoped that you would come riding to the rescue, like the Cossacks of old, with your knowledge of the Russian literature. My hope was more than fulfilled.

shenana (#286)
I went through Sanders 1779 with a fine tooth-comb, but failed to notice the now obvious connection between rhenana and shenana! The nursing-home may be nearer than I think!

Grateful thanks to both of you.

Last edited:
ekloni

Born 1852, did not die before 1916 according to [here].
But ... it says: "Фёдор Леонтьевич Эклон (1857 – не ранее 1916)" ... ;)

The latter foot-note apparently refers to a Paper published in 1916, by Eklon himself, thereby most likely still around in that year.

Also see:
Popiel-Machnicki, W., A. Pleskaczyński & K. Pleskaczyńska. 2017. Podróże nieodkryte. Dziennik ekspedycji Bronisława Grąbczewskiego 1889-1890 jako świadectwo historii i element dziedzictwa kulturowego, (all in Polish), foot-note on page XII, or attached excerpt (helped by Google translate):

"Przewalski, for reasons known only to himself, chose a young, only eighteen-year-old, graduate of Fiedor Leontjewicz Eklon junior High School, Федор Леонтьевич Экlon [Fedor Leontyevich Eklon]"

Do we know in what year this Przewalski Expedition took place?

Hopefully of some help regarding Mr. Eklon's birth.

/B

Attachments

• P.XII.jpg
    P.XII.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3
ekloni

But ... it says: "Фёдор Леонтьевич Эклон (1857 – не ранее 1916)" ... ;)
My bad. I corrected it.
"Przewalski, for reasons known only to himself, chose a young, only eighteen-year-old, graduate of Fiedor Leontjewicz Eklon junior High School, Федор Леонтьевич Экlon [Fedor Leontyevich Eklon]"

Do we know in what year this Przewalski Expedition took place?
This was presumably the first expedition that went to Lob-nor (see the text I quoted in message #285; he returned during a later expedition, but the quoted text is from before this). This expedition was in 1876-77. (Hence 1857 seems OK as a birth date.)

an attempt at pereversievi

pereversievi
I failed (again) to find the OD.
However, external sources point to someone of that name having collected bird specimens that are in Ukrainian museums at that time, and who I feel would be a more than likely candidate.

The bolds in the quotes below are all mine.

Загороднюк 2013 [here], p. 115:
Всеволод Великанів працював у ті часи, коли одночасно з ним у різних куточках України вели свої дослідження такі українські теріологи, як Віктор Антонович, Олександр Браунер, Борис Вальх, М. Вернер, Богдан Волянський, Микола Гавриленко, Євген Звірозомб-Зубовський, Яків Зубко, Петро Крижов, Олексій Мигулін, Микола Мілютін, В. Переверзієв, Іван Підоплічко, Борис Попов, Василь Храневич та ін.
(= Vsevolod Velikani worked at a time when, at the same time, Ukrainian mammalogists such as Viktor Antonovich, Alexander Brauner, Boris Walch, M. Werner, Bogdan Voliansky, Mykola Gavrylenko, Yevgeny Zvirozomb-Zubovsky, Yakov Zubovsky, Yakov Zubovsky, Petro Krizhov, Alexey Migulin, Mykola Milyutin, V. Pereverziev, Ivan Pidoplichko, Boris Popov, Vasily Khranevich, and others were conducting their researches in different corners of Ukraine.)

Note Mykola Gavrylenko ([Ukrainian name], = Nikolay Gavrilenko [Russified name]), the author of pereversievi, and V. Pereverziev appear here in the same sentence.

p. 130:
Загалом таких матеріалів у колекції Зоологічного музею є чимало, при тому частина зразків, зібраних у Ніжині 1929–1930 рр., зберігається взагалі без імені колектора, а частина — як зібрані О. Мигуліним та В. Переверзієвим. [...] Щодо В. Переверзієва: в колекції птахів в Музеї природи Харківського університету немає зразків, зібраних В. Переверзієвим на Чернігівщині (як і будь-яких зразків птахів, зібраних В. Великановим), хоча є його матеріали з інших місць, позначені як «Переверзев» (рос.) (М. Банік, особ. повід.)²³
²³ У колекції Зоологічного музею ННПМ є 3 екз. Nyctalus noctula, які зберігаються як зібрані в Ніжині В. Переверзієвим 14.05.1929 р. Відомо, що В. Переверзієв був випускником Харківського державного університету, в якому навчався близько 1903–1908 рр. Про нього, В. Аверіна та інших членів студентських натуралістичних гуртків того часу є згадка в нарисі про Л. Шкарбатова, харківського гідробіолога [28]. Принаймні з 1911 р. В. Переверзієв був штатним викладачем Харківського комерційного училища та асистентом Харківського державного університету. У 1912 та 1915 рр. він працював на Алтаї (разом із Є. Птушенком та ін.), звідки відомі його спостереження птахів [35 та ін.], а з 1915 р. працював у Харкові, досліджуючи, зокрема, таксономію лісових мишей [31]. Його колекційні збори ссавців відомі переважно з періоду 1911–1915 рр. з різних областей України, Передкавказзя, Казахстану (за каталогом ссавців у колекції Зоологічного музею ННПМ). Помер 1920 р. [29], і тому ясно, що він не міг бути колектором згаданих серій з Ніжина. [...]
(= In general, there are many such items in the collection of the Zoological Museum, some of the specimens collected in Nizhyn 1929–1930 being stored without any collector name, and some as collected by O. Migulin and V. Pereverziev. [...] About V. Pereverziev: there are no specimens collected by V. Pereverziev in the Chernihiv region (as well as no specimens of birds collected by V. Velikanov) in the collection of birds at the Kharkiv University Museum of Nature, although there are items from other places, designated as "Pereverzev" (in Russian) (M. Banik, special notification).²³
²³ In the collection of the Zoological Museum ННПМ [= Національний Науково-природничий Музей, National Museum of Natural History] are 3 exemples of Nyctalus noctula stored as collected in Nizhyn by V. Pereverziev on 14.05.1929. It is known that V. Pereverziev was a graduate of Kharkiv State University, where he studied about 1903-1908. About him, V. Averin, and other members of student naturalists' circles of that time, there is a mention in an essay about L. Shkarbatov, a Kharkiv hydrobiologist [28]. At least since 1911, V. Pereverziev was a full-time teacher at Kharkiv Commercial School and an assistant at Kharkiv State University. In 1912 and 1915 he worked in the Altai (together with E. Ptushenko and others), from where his bird observations [35, etc.] are known, and since 1915 he worked in Kharkiv, investigating, in particular, the taxonomy of forest mice [31]. Its collections of mammals are known mainly from 1911-1915 from different regions of Ukraine, the Caucasus, Kazakhstan (according to the catalog of mammals in the collection of the Zoological Museum ННПМ). He died in 1920 [29], and it is therefore clear that he could not have been a collector of the mentioned series from Nizhyn. [...])

p. 133:
31. Переверзиев В. В. К вопросу о систематическом положении харьковских лесных мышей // Бюл. о вредит. сельск. хоз-ва и мерах борьбы с ними. — Харьков, 1915. — No 3. — С. 14–19.
(= 31. Pereverziev V. V. On the question of the systematic position of Karkhiv forest mice // Bulletin on pests of agriculture and measures to control them, 3: 14-19.)

I could not find this online. However, the reference gives us the initial of his patronymic.

Ref 35 in the above ("his bird observations" from the Altai) is:
35. Равкин Ю. М. Птицы северо-восточного Алтая. — Новосибирск : Наука, 1973. — 375 с.
...which did not bring any additional information about him, but directed me to Sushkin's Птицы Советского Алтая [Birds of the Soviet Altai].

Sushkin 1938, Vol. 1, p. 31 [preview (of re-edition ?) in Google Books]:
Переверзиев, Василий Владимирович, ассистент при Зоологическом кабинете Харьковского университета (сотрудник экспедиции Сушкина 1912 г.), совершил летом 1915 г., с некоторой финансовой поддержкой Сушкина, поездку по Юго-Восточному Алтаю, с целью дополнительного коллектирования птиц. Его сотрудниками были: Е. Птушенко, студент орнитолог и П. Аверин, в качестве препаратора. Маршрут этой поездки: [...]
(= Pereverziev, Vasiliy Vladimirovich, assistant at the Zoological cabinet of Kharkiv University (participant of the Sushkin expedition of 1912), made a trip to the South-East Altai in the summer of 1915 with some financial support from Sushkin, with the goal of additional bird collecting. His collaborators were: E. Ptushenko, student ornithologist and P. Averin, as a preparator. Route of this trip: [...])

Beware that the given name and patronymic are provided here in a Russian context, however, hence likely to be Russified. If Ukrainian, it seems probable that, rather than "Василий Владимирович Переверзиев" as given by Sushkin, he was named Василь Володимирович Переверзієв (Vasil Volodymyrovych Pereverziev) -- as he indeed appears to be cited [here].

Last edited:
“Danaoides” listed by Mr. Jobling yesterday.
The Key: “danaoides
Etymology undiscovered; probably an allusion to the young ostriches which gather into large groups (Gr. myth Danaides, the fifty daughters of Danaus, twin brother of Aegyptus); "Struthio Danaoides. The ostrich is found on most of the plains, and often wanders into thin bush. As many as fifteen or twenty are often seen together, but the fully adult birds are generally in pairs or singly. Very common up the Tana river." (Hunter in Willoughby 1889, East Africa and its big game, Appendix I, 293) (syn. Struthio molybdophanes).
I do not have anything to add on the meaning of this word.
I saw the name listed by Oscar Neumann in his description of the subspecies massaicus.
Page 17 of 83.
https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Journal-fuer-Ornithologie_46_1898_0227-0305.pdf .
He lists the Hunter in Willoughby book 1889 listed in the Key.
But I have found the name in an appendix of a chapter in a book The Kilima-Njaro Expedition: A Record of Scientific Exploration in Eastern Africa
By Harry Johnston. The Appendix is entitled List of birds collected or observed on Kilima-njaro or its vicinity by Captain G. E. Shelley and H. H. Johnston.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/267745#page/433/mode/1up .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/267745#page/443/mode/1up . list of the name St. danaoides.
Date of book 1886. https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/267745#page/7/mode/1up .
On page 359 Johnston calls ” Struthio Danaoides Shelley” inferring Capt. G. E. Shelley is the author. There also is information describing this bird and why it is different from other Ostriches.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/267745#page/415/mode/1up .

Last edited:
danaoides

The Key's reference, to Hunter's (in Willoughby 1889) "Struthio Danaoides": here, though nothing there indicating it as new (not that I can see, at least not after a quick look). I guess you're right Mark, in that Shelley (in Johston 1886) was even earlier, and that Shelley most likely was the one who originally coined this name. Note that "Struthio Danaoides", is not listed in/by Richmond (Index/Cards), nor is "Struthius" ditto.

Well spotted, well found! :t:

Neither I have any idea, or (any other) opinion, on the Etymology itself.

I sure wonder if Shelley described/explained this "recently determined species" himself, even earlier (or later, in print), elsewhere, in yet another, this far, unseen book/Paper?

Björn
-

Last edited:
danaoides

danaoides
Etymology undiscovered; probably an allusion to the young ostriches which gather into large groups (Gr. myth Danaides, the fifty daughters of Danaus, twin brother of Aegyptus); "Struthio Danaoides. The ostrich is found on most of the plains, and often wanders into thin bush. As many as fifteen or twenty are often seen together, but the fully adult birds are generally in pairs or singly. Very common up the Tana river." (Hunter in Willoughby 1889, East Africa and its big game, Appendix I, 293) (syn. Struthio molybdophanes).
If this is the source (which I would agree seems likely), I would rather see it as an allusion to Danaos, who had fifty daughters, than to the daughters themselves. Danaoides = Danaos-like -- the single fully adult ostrich with its 15+ young birds is like Danaos with his 50 daughters.

Last edited:
But latin is not my business (but maybe mellitus = sweet).
"in Melittis semel lectus" = "collected once in Melitta [specimens]", where Melitta is a genus of bees ("Melittis" is the ablative plural), and the species he describes (Pediculus melittae; "Melittae" is the genitive singular of Melitta) is a louse that he found on bees of this genus.

(It's a fairly standard procedure to denote parasite species by the name of their host in the genitive. But I don't really see how this could be transferred to the bird.)

Last edited:
danaoides.
The Key entry is based on Reichenow, 1900, Die Vögel Afrikas, I (1), p. 12, where Struthio Danaoides Hunter in Willoughby 1889, is listed in the synonymy of Struthio molybdophanes. I assume Reichenow regarded Shelley's 1886 Struthius [sic] Danaoides and Struthio danaoides as nomina nuda.

danaoides.
The Key entry is based on Reichenow, 1900, Die Vögel Afrikas, I (1), p. 12, where Struthio Danaoides Hunter in Willoughby 1889, is listed in the synonymy of Struthio molybdophanes. I assume Reichenow regarded Shelley's 1886 Struthius [sic] Danaoides and Struthio danaoides as nomina nuda.
But Hunter did not provide the slightest descriptive element; thus, if the name was unavailable when he used it, he certainly did not establish it either...

Locating the name in Johnston's book may not have been that easy back then (no BHL, no Google...); in any case, Neumann 1898 ([here], footnote -- in J. Ornithol. edited by Reichenow -- also cited by Mark above) failed to find it -- he cited danaoides only from Hunter (i.e., the only work that Reichenow also cited two years later), noting that it looked like a name that had been proposed elsewhere, and with an explicit: "Ich kann den Namen nirgends in der Litteratur finden." Neumann might quite easily have been Reichenow's source for where this name had appeared; if so it seems quite plausible that Reichenow had not seen Johnston's book at all.

Last edited:
it seems quite plausible that Reichenow had not seen Johnston's book at all.
I agree. Laurent I am wondering if you have seen the recently published 9/12/2019:
Типовісерії Pica pica kot Gavrilenko, 1912 та Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 1917, які зберігаються у фондах Музею природи Харківського Національного …
Authors
С. Тайкова, Т. Девятко
Publication date
2019/9/12
Journal
Міжнародна зоологічна конференція "Фауна України на межі XX-XXI ст. стан і біорізноманіття екосистем природоохоронних територій", присвяченої 220 річниці від дня народження О. Завадського
Pages
159-160.

Laurent I am wondering if you have seen the recently published 9/12/2019:
Типовісерії Pica pica kot Gavrilenko, 1912 та Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 1917, які зберігаються у фондах Музею природи Харківського Національного …
http://bioweb.lnu.edu.ua/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Zbirnyk-SHats-k-2019_-1.pdf

It's not in a journal, it's a conference proceeding volume.
I had not seen it, but it's only a very short note reporting that specimens presumed to be part or the type series of these two nominal taxa have been located among specimens that were originally part of Gavrilenko's own collection, without giving any really significant detail. I guess it might announce a future, more detailed paper, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back