• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helping homeless sparrows? (1 Viewer)

Isy315

Hi everyone,

I've just joined to put a question to the experts. I live in a typical Victorian suburban area, and our neighbours two houses away, on the corner of our road have always had a thick conifer hedge which I think was home to quite a lot of the sparrows. They were always flitting in and out. Every time I walked past it was noisy with their chattering. But the owners have sadly chopped it all down, in addition to removing a lovely mature tree which was in their garden. They are applying for planning permission for a double story house in their garden :-(

Anyway, nothing I can do about that as it's not my property. But how can I help the sparrows? They come to our feeder, drink from the pond sometimes, but what about their nests? Delivery on nest boxes is weeks due to the pandemic. I can't even purchase planks at the moment to make some. We have an old door in the garage I could sacrifice. Is it worth going to the effort or are they quite resourceful in finding new homes in time for nesting season?

Any advice would be appreciated as I know next to nothing about birds!

Thanks,

Isy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back