• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you have a good old reliable spot where sightings are regular as clockwork???? (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

Do you have a good old reliable spot???? Where a favorite bird or animal species nearly always give a good show!!!!

I'd be interested in anything like those below. I'm always wizzing round the country and could do with an easy bit of wildlife spotting, especually as I've gotr the kids along who are very impressed by wildlife but not too understanding if the critters don't show.

B :) My examples are below:

I have a spot on Cannock Chase where you can pull up in your car and watch wild Fallow Deer grazing a few feet away.

Or say Dod Wood - Cumbria (Osprey viewing platform) where the Red Squirrels are regulars.

Rutland Water (in breeding season) for the Ospreys.

Red Kites viewed from my favorite fallen tree just west of the M40/Stokenchurch.

;) :h?: ;) :h?:

There's a reliable spot where I always look for Golden Eagles in Islay. I usually manage some reasonable sightings within half an hour. Can't really say exactly where it is on here though!

Have a regular spot which is great, majestic, wild old forest and regulary produces nothing. I was there many times and can depend on it.

;)

Following the raptor theme Shapwick heath on the Somerset levels (nr Glastonbury) has never failed me for hobbies. (only in summer obviously).

Well I wouldn't've have put this if it wasn't for the response I have had from BF members to my "Outback" reports, but my patch is (almost!) guaranteed to reward you with Green Woodpeckers... 'n' I love 'em!

Pop out with me tomorrow and I can 100% promise you a handful of White-tailed Eagles at close range, with two or three foxes in the meadows behind (every Oct/November the foxes spend the whole days out in the open). Or, if you prefer your birds with a coffee, I can offer you Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Crested Tit and, more than likely, Black Woodpecker from the warmth of my kitchen window.

Only one small problem, you and the kids will have to get on a plane first - just a couple of thousand kilometres to your east!

Edit: slight lie - the Black Woodpeckers require a walk of about 100 metres, so sorry not at any kitchen window :)

Last edited:
jurek said:
Have a regular spot which is great, majestic, wild old forest and regulary produces nothing. I was there many times and can depend on it.

;)

Ah Jurek, another of those majestic sites that produce nothing :) If you can really depend on it producing nothing, I'm almost on my way to check it out ;)

Prawle Point for Cirl Bunting. Never failed yet.
Dawlish Warren (offshore) for Slavonian Grebes (winter only).
Vitifer/Soussons on Dartmoor for Cuckoo (spring).
Yarner Wood for Pied Flycatchers and Wood Warbler (spring).
River Lynher, Cornwall, for Spoonbill (most winters, but often elusive - parts of the river are unviewable).
Plymbridge Woods, Plymouth, for Peregrine (in season) - http://www.plym-peregrines.co.uk/

Dead certainty

Bluetail said:
Prawle Point for Cirl Bunting. Never failed yet.
Dawlish Warren (offshore) for Slavonian Grebes (winter only).
Vitifer/Soussons on Dartmoor for Cuckoo (spring).
Yarner Wood for Pied Flycatchers and Wood Warbler (spring).
River Lynher, Cornwall, for Spoonbill (most winters, but often elusive - parts of the river are unviewable).
Plymbridge Woods, Plymouth, for Peregrine (in season) - http://www.plym-peregrines.co.uk/

Well as my Lithuanian friend is at it....come with me and I'll give you (always) Hawfinches in the park over the road (winter), Green and St Spotted Woodpecker there, too all year round. A bit further for Middle Spotted, Black, Grey-headed and Syrian. Then an hour's drive for Great Bustard. Those are all year round. Then a handfull of summer warblers - River, Savi's, Gt Reed, Reed, Marsh... Then if you want Hoopoe, Bee-Eater, Roller, it's a bit longer drive....in summer. And then Cranes in Winter, and 7 species of Heron in summer. Did you fancy a trip to Hungary?
Best
David

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back