• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

Leach's were trickling past Blackpool today, but a trickle is good enough. The only skua I had was a juv. Long-tailed, which obligingly loitered close in to enable me to get enough on it. A Grey Phalarope turned up at dusk around the corner in a flooded field. It's a great seabird autumn on the Fylde.

Stephen.

I only had 8 sightings of Sabine's Gull - at least 4 individuals since I saw 3 juvs together and an adult.

Not sure what is going on but again I have 50+ skuas and NO rare ones...750 Kittiwakes too!

The action continues today.... should anyone be interested!

Reader said:
Steve

Congrats on a superb photo.

I'm hoping they will still be around at the weekend. I am going to have to try and get up that way as I have never seen one in England.

They will still be around....for certain.... well nearly certain. Assuming the long range forecasts are correct

Jane Turner said:
They will still be around....for certain.... well nearly certain. Assuming the long range forecasts are correct

Thanks Jane

I will keep my eye open for any news on Friday night.

The Shipping Forecast Issued By The Met Office At 1130 On
Wednesday 22 September 2004

Lundy Fastnet Irish Sea Shannon South Rockall
West 5 To 7. Veering North Or Northwest 4 Or 5 Later In Irish Sea And
South Rockall. Rain At Times. Moderate Or Good

In the last hour I have seen: 90 Leach's Petrels, 110 Manx Shearwaters, a Black Tern, 2 Pomarine Skuas, 12 Arctic Skuas and 10 Great Skuas, 3 red-throated Divers and an Arctic Tern. Seems the winds have dropped enough for a wholescale clear out from the bay. I expect an increase in passage after the tide.

Reading this thread has got me to thinking I'm the only one who hasn't caught up with a Leaches yet, I'm heading down to Wales (Anglesey) on Saturday, whats the betting the wind changes direction Friday night?

Johnny,

The forecast is still good with NW winds - so Point Lynas should be worth a go, as would popping in at Point of Ayr on the way perhaps?

Jane,

How did the evening end up? - I suspect the bay needed to empty to make room for the next batch!

By the way - to all those who have either enjoyed this thread or taken the opportunity to use the information to catch up with Leach's etc - what a great lesson Jane has taught us all - good quality local information is priceless in enhancing our enjoyment of our hobby.

Don't take for granted that others will know what you know - and provided that you aren't divulging sites for breeding birds I am looking fowrward to other similar threads.

The "How to see..." series starts here?

Actually the movement died off... end totals were:

Leachs Petrel 107, Manx Shearwater 175, Pomarine Skua 2, Arctic Skua 29, Great Skua 22, Red Throated Diver 4, Black Tern 1, Kittiwake 120, Gannet 75, Fulmar 1 and Brent Goose 3 pale bellied.

Wind is WNW 6 here... the absolute best for N.Wirral. Pity there are no tides.... well there is a pathetic one in the evening.

The winds are due to drop tonight and pick up on Monday - there appears to be a rule that there will be no gales at the weekend.

LUNDY FASTNET IRISH SEA SHANNON ROCKALL
NORTHWEST 5 TO 7 VEERING NORTH 4 OR 5, BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4 IN
SHANNON AND ROCKALL. RAIN CLEARING. MODERATE OR POOR BECOMING GOOD

If as predicted the wind gets any more North in it Point Lynas will come into play.

There will be petrels off Wirral today and tomorrow - though there will be fewer in the Mersey and more out to see at New Brighton. Last night, in addition to the classic "up the beach" birds, there were little black dots all over the sea as far as I could see (ie up to 3 miles offshore)

215 in an hour! plus one Storm P and an Adult Sabs. Had a Gannet over the back garden :)

Wind is NW now... still ok for Wirral - but I'd be considering the Orme and especially POint Lynas now if I was out to see petrels.

Rob Smallwood said:
By the way - to all those who have either enjoyed this thread or taken the opportunity to use the information to catch up with Leach's etc - what a great lesson Jane has taught us all - good quality local information is priceless in enhancing our enjoyment of our hobby.

Don't take for granted that others will know what you know - and provided that you aren't divulging sites for breeding birds I am looking fowrward to other similar threads.

The "How to see..." series starts here?

Hear hear! ...most interesting and informative, particularly for us land-lubbers who are mystified by the influences of wind/tide etc.

We usually stop off at Llanfairfechan on the way to Anglesey but this time we might just head straight for Point Lynas. The last time I tried for Leaches was a few years back at Seaforth trying to shelter behind the wall from the blast of the wind...didn't see any!

Jane Turner said:
Actually the movement died off... end totals were:

There will be petrels off Wirral today and tomorrow - though there will be fewer in the Mersey and more out to see at New Brighton. Last night, in addition to the classic "up the beach" birds, there were little black dots all over the sea as far as I could see (ie up to 3 miles offshore)

So will New Brighton be any good on Saturday (the earliest I can get up) or will one of the other sites you mentioned earlier be a better prospect

Thanks

Mark

Jane this is a terrific thread.

As an inland birder based in the home counties the opportunity to view seabirds on this scale has convinced me that I must visit your neck of the woods this weekend.

At the moment the weather forecasts seem to be indicating westerlies and south westerlies for Saturday and Sunday and high tide is at an inconvenient time (far too early in the morning and after dark!)

Question: Is it worth it making the 400+ mile round trip and if it is where would be the best place to go?

Regards

Dave

There are still Leach's (and probably Leaches !) around the Wirral and North Wales coast today, but after this mornings rush the numbers have died down.

Records from places like Blackpool, Heysham have also receded suggesting that tomorrow may be quieter again.

Jane will know better than me, but if the winds keep as they are I expect you can hope for small numbers in places like the Mersey river mouth where the long staying L-t Skuas are still showing.

I gladly pass on tommorrows records which may give you a better idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back