• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallards in Spring plumage? (1 Viewer)

This may seem a strange question to those of you with plenty of seasonal knowledge, but as I'm something of a rookie here can someone help me please?

I walk past a small pond on my way to work here in Nottingham, England. It has quite a few ducks resident (mostly mallards), and I've enjoyed watching them over the last 15 months. In Spring the males were all dressed up in their mating colours, and in an agressive mood. This lasted a few months, and by about July the males were back to their drab browns again - hard to distinguish from the females. On return from a ten day holiday last week I was amazed to see the males in their mating gear once more! Bright bottle-green heads, yellow bills, contrasting colours on their bodies with distinct white areas, and back to their stroppy moods too, attacking the females.

What's going on? Is this normal for October, or has the mild weather triggered an unexpected second mating season?

Thanks!

Bruce ;) :h?:

Hi Bruce,

The drakes enter into what's called 'eclipse' plumage in late summer whilst they are moulting. The new feathers have dull tips which means that the birds are similar in colour to females, as you've noticed. Once these tips have off the bright plumage is revealed. It's usually about now that most species of duck start to get back into their breeding plumage, although they shouldn't be breeding for a while (although with Mallards you never can tell). The change from eclipse to bright plumage can happen pretty quickly.

Once the breeding season is over ducks go through a complete moult. At times this renders them almost flightless and it is during this period that the males have the eclipse (female like) plumage. Once the flight feathers are renewed breeding plumage starts to return and I am noticing most of the wildfowl are now starting to put on thier breeding finery again.

I am sure someone will put this in better scientific terms than I can.

Just to add to what Andrew and Robin have said, the theory is that the female-like eclipse plumage makes the males less conspicuous during their almost flightless period. Sounds logical enough, but I can't help wondering since I don't notice the males doing much to hide themselves away during this time.

Also to add that many duck species pair-up in winter ready for the spring so that's probably why they look at their best from now onwards.

I think I'm right in saying that in some duck species the males take no part in raising the young. The only reason to keep their breeding plumage into the spring would be to keep other males away from their general breeding areas, I would say.

Thanks for the interesting replies

To everyone who answered my question about mallard plumage yesterday, a big thanks. I am online at work and was too busy until now to get back to you.

That all makes perfect sense. Not walking past a pond regularly before I had never noticed this Autumn colour change until now. Looking again this morning I see that the coots and moorhens look brighter and fresher in colour too.

I love the term 'eclipse' plumage. Very descriptive.

Thanks again folks!

Bruce :clap: B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back