• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this normal bird behaviour? (1 Viewer)

AquaGuy

In the garden this year, 3 robins can sometimes be feeding at the same time, on the same bird table or even hanging on the same feeder.
2-3 (or more) blut tits or great tits can hang on the same feeder, happily eating together.
5 (or more) pigeons can also be in the garden, at the same time as the robins and tits, pecking around on the floor.
Magpies will then be flocking and they'll happily be eating with the pigeons, robins, and tits.
Then sometimes gulls can join in (although they're often on the back field fighting, which has only begun this year weirdly).
And other birds, like sparrows are joining in now.
There's also been a group of probably 100 starlings circling (in an almost perfect circle) over this area. It happened for no more than 10 minutes and it's never happened since, and it freaked me out because in 23 years (I'm 23 now) I've never seen birds acting like that.

I thought birds (most, if not all?) were exceptionally territorial so how can they all be eating together?

Another thing I've noticed, and, it seems, so have thousands of other people world wide (do a youtube search for strange animal behaviour and you will know exactly what I'm talking about) -
At least 7 birds have flown into this house (my bedroom window and 1 pigeon hit the greenhouse) in the past 2 weeks and it's weird. I've never known even 1 bird to even come close to hitting the house, never mind all on one window, in 23 years.

Thanks. Peace.

I have no idea of where your location is!
All I can come up with is a swarm of flying ants. Everything eats them!

Regarding your window strikes. All I can think of is an abundance of newly fledged chicks and predators chasing them ( which includes corvids and gulls ).

Last edited:
Too early in the year for swarming ants, I'd think (that's assuming the observation was in Britain though). Around here, ant swarms are a late July or August occurrence.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back