• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In and around South Staffordshire. (1 Viewer)

Just had 15 mins on Penn Common as I had a little one that had gone to sleep I just parked the van in the farm drive and watched from there... glad I did. Apart from the flock of Starlings that are fun to watch I managed the Stone Chat and some Great Tits. I was just about to drive of when a lot of movement caught my eye. In a tree right on the edge of the road there were Siskin and Greenfinch along with a Black Bird pulling berries from the tree. To my delight there were at least 4 Redwing :t:it could have been more but as they were all over the place can't say for sure.

I very nearly went to Penn Common myself today. It was only when I was in Gospel End Village that I decided to turn left and do Gospel End Common insread. I saw John though so that was nice.

Birdfront saw coal tit, nuthatch, redpoll, common buzzard, mistle thrush, green woodpecker.

Video to follow. :t:

lol reading your last post Sedgley made me giggle as when I come through Penn Common and up to Sedgley I watch for folks birding as much as bird these days ...:-O

ooh yes please dont want my Bongo in a field ...:-O

I love the vid ... I think you should be brought to the attention of the BBC your Winter watch actually shows you what is happeneing and thats what we need to know, not what they saw in the summer.

I went over Baggeridge hopeing to spot the Gold Crests again ... no luck though so I wandered through Bag Wood spotted a Robin, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits and just before the carpark a light coloured Common Buzzardskimming across the trees. As I still had a little time I paid a quick visit to Penn Common it is only minuets away, The Red Wing were still there but unable to get close enough for a picture. A Heron flew over, lots of Blackbirds,Starlingsand a Robin

This morning at Baggeridge - Siskin (20), Green Woodpecker (up to 3), Jay (2), Goldcrest (1). I hear that a Peregrine has been seen sitting on the Baggeridge Brick chimney.

I also waited with my dog to cross the entrance road as a lady in a Bongo drove past. Was that you Silver Ether?

Red Lane today - male and female pheasant, grey wagtail, goldcrest, kestrel, stock dove, house sparrow, redwing.

Thanks for the comment on the video. The cheque is in the post.

This morning at Baggeridge - Siskin (20), Green Woodpecker (up to 3), Jay (2), Goldcrest (1). I hear that a Peregrine has been seen sitting on the Baggeridge Brick chimney.

I also waited with my dog to cross the entrance road as a lady in a Bongo drove past. Was that you Silver Ether?

:t: white one ... yes .... sitting here now trying to picture a man with a dog ...
next time wave :-O

deep joy and I haven't left the house...;)

Just went to the kitchen for another coffee and a lovely male Blackbird on the yard joined by a female, two Collared Doves on the bird table,birdfeeder on the window two Blue Tits one flew of replaced by Coal Tit, second Coal Tit in the tree by the fence, Robin on the fence ...

Off topic ... does anyone know whats going on at the big house near the entrance to Baggeridge... seemd odd to pay a lot of money for a place the vertually demolish it

Last edited:
Then I left the house:t:Baggeridge late morning... Nuthatch, Blue/Great/ Long Tailed Tits Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted in the wetlands also a flock of Gold FinchWoods by the Miners Path contained all the small ones above and two Coal Tits. Tawny was home and just a little further along the path was a lovley Mistle Thrush

Out and about bying fabrics thia morning so had to make do with birding on the move. Going into Wolverhampton spotted a Heron flying over near Lanesfield. Lots of small flocks bun unable to check what they were around Compton oh did I say I am doing a craft fair at the Ceders Sunday in aid of Compton Hospice ...:t:Between Gardenland and Bratch Locks I saw 3 Common Buzzards, 2 lovely Thrush, Blue Tits, Goldfinch 20ishand my first Couple of Fieldfare this year.

Spent an hour walking round Victoria Park, Tipton. Numerous black headed gull, several lesser black-backed gull and a single great black-backed gull high in the sky in flight.

A female sparrowhawk passed overhead. Male and female tufted duck on the pool.

Baggeridge this morning, clouded in fog. Not great for birding but I did see a couple of nuthatch, coal tit and a flock of goldfinch on the burning field.
Where is the latest tawny owl roost?

not exactly our birding but then again you never stop:-O Going to and from Bridgenorth and at Bridgo... Phesents about 20 in one field near Siesdon.(sp)
Common Buzzards by to at the top of the Hermatage, flocks of several small things ...could have been anything in the fog by the bridge ...Grey Lag Geese, Black Headed Gulls, MallardComing home via HighGate Kestral, Jay,Heronand a Mistle Thrush.not bad while fetching the groceries....:t:

Lots of assorted finches at Baggers today and John you were right ... I saw our little friend where you said when I got up to the ridge ... Whites Woods were alive with tits including a Coal Tit, Nuthatches, Chaffinches,
Black Headed Gulls of Wishing Pools.

The area where the rangers have cleared by Bag Pool is already developing nicely ... I sat there today watching Great Tits and Blue Tits, Wrens a very friendly Robin that sat on my hand feeding for ages and as ever I had the camera on full zoom so not able to take his picture ...doh

Baggeridege... round the ampitheater up flew a Green Woodpecker and the trees to my right were full of Long Tailed Tits twittering away. Down Jacobs ladder and followed the paths round the pools.. Coots, Moorhens, Mallards, Blackheaded Gulls. A robin nearly took my head of ... telling me he wanted seed and I surrounded by Robins, Great Tits, Blue Tits and Coal Tits.

A little further on I could see a Chaffinch on the path so through him some see and agian down came all the little fellas.

Spring pool was great the usual pleathora of water birds but ... what joy I watched a Kingfisher fly the length of the pool and land not far away... what is it with all the birds today do they know forgot my camera and are deliberatly putting themselves in good spots to wind me up ...
I had a look round the area where the Rails get and was scanning with bins and saw a Grey Wagtail. Other spots were Nut Hatches, GoldFinches Wrens.

Sitting in traffic at the Bramford I saw a Grey Wagtail fly across the road and a Heron went over.

I was over at Himley Hall last Saturday. Saw loads of birds in the Whites Wood area and around the lakes - nuthatches, robins, gold, bull and chaffinches, blue, great, coal and long-tailed tits, gs woodpeckers, a peregrine on the tower, tawny in woods, wrens, jays, a siskin, and the usual sort of wildfowl on the lakes.

Fantastic spot on a sunny day, if somewhat muddy!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back