• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Australia, Perth, Herdsman's Lake (1 Viewer)

citrinella

We have been mystified by this one - particularly the spotting on the underside of the tail which is not often shown in bird books (except raptors).

We think this bird might have been newly fledged. It appeared to be begging loudly, though we didn't see it being fed, unfortunately. In that light the dark (dull) eye might be a little mis-leading.

Can anyone tell us what it is ?

Mike.

Attachments

• Cropped_9215.jpg
    Cropped_9215.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Cropped_9228.jpg
    Cropped_9228.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Cropped_9227.jpg
    Cropped_9227.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 64
Doesn´t it look like a Woodswallow species?
PS.: I stand corrected, Andrew is sure right with that undertail pattern.

Last edited:
My only question is whether it's Horsfield's or Shining Bronze Cuckoo. Not totally sure. Having looked at a few pictures of juveniles, the usual 'obvious' differences between the two seem much less apparent.

Looks like a juvenile cuckoo - probably one of the 'bronze cuckoos'. You can see a bit of green coming through in the wings. This picture of a juvenile Horsfield's looks plausibly similar:
http://www.bushpea.com/bd/pg/all/h/horsfields bronze-cuckoo 09.html

Thanks Andrew,

We had looked at cuckoos, but our books don't show juveniles like that. The photo you linked is spot on.

Mike.

P.S. maybe that explains why it appeared to be begging at every bird in the vicinity.

I'd say Shining, not the best angle but would still expect more of an eyestripe for Horsfield's (even a young one). Shining also significantly more likely to be breeding at Herdsman

Jv. shining bronze-cuckoo was my first impression, but at such a young age it might be hard to discount a dusky jv. Horsfield's since they can show obscured supercilium.

Thanks again, especially to John for the local insight - Horsfield's are unlikely to breed at Herdsman's. We have observed Shining Bronze-cuckoo adult here - caught by the local banding group within 50m of where these photos were taken.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back