• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tits (1 Viewer)

My first time bird box with camera has been chosen by blue tits. The female has been building the nest for the last 5 days,but after a frantic mornings work she disappears for the rest of the day and returns the next morning. Is this normal ?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Is there a lot of activity near the feeder? That may be a reason why but I wouldn't give up just yet and please keep us posted on the progress.

Hi Pete and a warm welcome from me too.

I don't think she'd stay in the nest box until she's ready to lay her eggs. She won't actually lay them until she thinks that the caterpillars will be the right size for feeding to the nestlings when they hatch.

Can you just watch and wait and let us know what happens please?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

thanks to you both for your replies. I was more curious as to why she stops building around midday and resumes first thing the next morning as I thought she would carry on all day. I'm fairly sure there isn't a problem with excessive activity.

I was more curious as to why she stops building around midday and resumes first thing the next morning

No... I don't have an answer to that I'm afraid. We do have a dedicated Nest Box forum, also a .
Bird Behaviour forum

It would probably be an idea to post in either one of those and see if anyone has any clues to that.

My first time bird box with camera has been chosen by blue tits. The female has been building the nest for the last 5 days,but after a frantic mornings work she disappears for the rest of the day and returns the next morning. Is this normal ?

Hi Pete I’m new to this also, I find the same, my blue it female is really working hard until about early afternoon then she’s gone and returns about 7.30pm the settles down for the night, maybe this is quite normal behaviour.

thanks everyone for the welcome and comments. I think that your birds behaviour, Hayley, is the closest to mine (although as yet mine doesn't sleep in the box at night) and seems to suggest that building their nest is a morning only chore. Thanks again all,stay safe.

thanks everyone for the welcome and comments. I think that your birds behaviour, Hayley, is the closest to mine (although as yet mine doesn't sleep in the box at night) and seems to suggest that building their nest is a morning only chore. Thanks again all,stay safe.

Hi Pete,

Have you seen the male at all? I haven't noticed any male for a few days, I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

morning Hayley, my bird (my wife has christened her Bizzy Lizzy) is in day 6 of nest building and her daily routine has been building her nest from dawn till lunchtime, disappearing for the rest of the day and returning again next morning. She is this morning beginning to bring the feathers in, and believe it or not only an hour before seeing your question ,have i seen the male, i would have said no. However he showed his face in the box a short while ago which seemed to agitate her so much so that he very quickly beat a hasty retreat. Anyway that's where we are at the moment

I,ve had blue tits nest a number of times over the years in nest boxs both male and female seem happy enough to start building the base of the nest but his attention Is drawn away more when the cup of the nest or the start of It Is being built I think the female at this stage Is happy enough to carry on with the nest building on her own so he can keep a close watch out from a distance he,ll keep In touch with her looking out for danger he might also look for the charms of other females If he can get away with It but stay with the one he,s got to him the more he can pass his genes on the better just keep your distance and let them get on with It.

Blue Tits.

I,ve had blue tits nest a number of times over the years in nest boxs both male and female seem happy enough to start building the base of the nest but his attention Is drawn away more when the cup of the nest or the start of It Is being built I think the female at this stage Is happy enough to carry on with the nest building on her own so he can keep a close watch out from a distance he,ll keep In touch with her looking out for danger he might also look for the charms of other females If he can get away with It but stay with the one he,s got to him the more he can pass his genes on the better just keep your distance and let them get on with It.
I,d also like to mention there will be another period when It goes quiet again when the egg laying starts the hen lays and keeps the eggs covered for so long before she returns I can,t remember the duration of time in the day she does this but as the clutch gets bigger she,ll spend more time In the day brooding them till they begin to hatch and then she,ll be there full time Incubateing and feeding the chicks the male will participate more then with the feeding part.

morning Hayley, my bird (my wife has christened her Bizzy Lizzy) is in day 6 of nest building and her daily routine has been building her nest from dawn till lunchtime, disappearing for the rest of the day and returning again next morning. She is this morning beginning to bring the feathers in, and believe it or not only an hour before seeing your question ,have i seen the male, i would have said no. However he showed his face in the box a short while ago which seemed to agitate her so much so that he very quickly beat a hasty retreat. Anyway that's where we are at the moment

Hi Pete, I think your right, I’ve seen him but it’s brief and she’s not too interested while building, this seems to be the norm, let’s hope we get a brood. I’ll update with some pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back