• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need help with this Rail (1 Viewer)

Chato

These shots were taken Yesterday in Brooklyn New York. I know, and have photographed Clapper Rails in this marsh, but this guy just doesn't look like the other Clappers I've shot.

Lousy pictures, close crops from over a hundred yards off. Odd light as well, near dawn.

In the last picture I paid a Black Crowned Night Heron to pose with him to give you an idea of the size...:-O

Much thanks in advance!

Attachments

• RAILSCAPE3.JPG
    RAILSCAPE3.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 152
  • RAILSCAPE4.JPG
    RAILSCAPE4.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 177
  • RAILSCAPE6.JPG
    RAILSCAPE6.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 208
thought I'd get the book out just to educate myself a little and the book gives me nothing really - it's either a clapper or a king. Thank you book but I think we'd already got that far!

As I said, not very good pictures...

I've never seen a King Rail in this marsh, but I "think" I've seen a King/Clapper cross.
Rails are never easy to find, but each year I manage at least a few opportunities. If anyone likes I can post a good picture of a Clapper from this place.

Dave

Leaning towards King as well.

How much did it set you back to include the Night Heron? ;-)

Night Herons are the most avaricious of my paid models. When I first started shooting this marsh, a can of sardines would do, now, it's Fifty bucks and hour, plus a pound of Nova Scotia Lox. It's increasingly difficult for me to meet his demands.

In this marsh, what they normally eat is marine worms. You would think they would work a lot cheaper because of that. :(

Dave

Night Herons are the most avaricious of my paid models. When I first started shooting this marsh, a can of sardines would do, now, it's Fifty bucks and hour, plus a pound of Nova Scotia Lox. It's increasingly difficult for me to meet his demands.

In this marsh, what they normally eat is marine worms. You would think they would work a lot cheaper because of that. :(

Dave

You sir have an excellent sense of humor. =)

Late addition: After having a bit of time to study the photos, and doing a bit of research.... i still have mixed feelings on this bird. For reasons stated above, I want to lean towards King, but the location says Clapper... I'm still honestly a bit stumped, as ebird has no records of King Rails in Brooklyn or Kings county, as far as I could see.

Last edited:
You sir have an excellent sense of humor. =)

Late addition: After having a bit of time to study the photos, and doing a bit of research.... i still have mixed feelings on this bird. For reasons stated above, I want to lean towards King, but the location says Clapper... I'm still honestly a bit stumped, as ebird has no records of King Rails in Brooklyn or Kings county, as far as I could see.

My books tell me that the King prefers Fresh Water.

But what the heck, I live in Manhattan, and in a small park last spring, I found a Virginia Rail, hanging around with the pigions. He actually "looked" confused. :eek!: Last I saw of him he was walking down the Bowery...

This marsh has just about everything living in it...

Also, the way he is carrying his wing, may indicate that this bird is injured, and the wing is covering up the markings.

Oh, well, perhaps I'll have better luck next time and be closer. This was shot from over a hundred yards away.

Dave

Classic Clapper. Very common in those marshes. All other similar species are quite rare.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back