• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or honey Buzzard? (1 Viewer)

ody

Today I shot this pic at Kitrous saltmarshes.
What do you think?Is this a Common Buzzard or a Honey Buzzard?

Attachments

• Buteo.JPG
    Buteo.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 392
It's a 3cy Common Buzzard (note the juv. outer primaries and some of the inner secondaries). Compare with this adult Honey Buzzard showing diagnostic barring on the tail and remiges (one broad subterminal bar and a few broad basal bars):
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=komi1250140092&lang=eng
2cy Honey Buzzards summer in Africa, but they'd have evenly spaced broad bars on the tail and remiges, like on this autumn juvenile:
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=Tenovuo1223210718&lang=eng

CAU what you say about second summer honey buzzards staying Africa used to be true, but habbits seem to be changing or maybe we did not look that closely at them. I saw a second summer male in Norfolk about 6 years ago. Juvenile feathering was clearly visable on its flanks and the bird was observed to lose them during the Recent observers in Finland and Italy have been recording quite large numbers of second year honey buzzards in recent years on migration during April\May.

One tip in seperating common and honey buzzards. The tail of a honey buzzard is longer than the depth of the inner wing next to the body. In common buzzards the tail is shorter than the depth of the wing.

CAU what you say about second summer honey buzzards staying Africa used to be true, but habbits seem to be changing or maybe we did not look that closely at them. I saw a second summer male in Norfolk about 6 years ago. Juvenile feathering was clearly visable on its flanks and the bird was observed to lose them during the Recent observers in Finland and Italy have been recording quite large numbers of second year honey buzzards in recent years on migration during April\May.

Are you sure about the large number of records of 2cy Honey Buzzards from Finland? The only one that I'm aware of is a recent record by Forsman, and a look at our bird record database doesn't reveal any additonal records. IIRC Andrea Corso recently wanted to hear about records of such birds from the WP, and I got the impression that he wasn't aware of too many either. Anyway, it is obvious that 2cy Honey Buzzards are under-recorded, but most still stay in Africa.

there was also an old photo from Germany of an alleged 2cy Honey but the ageing of that bird has been questioned, by DF.
I dont think there are any confirmed records from the UK (observers from Northumberland need not apply ;) )
James

CAU , Sorry I should have split Finland from Italy , a slip of the keys. That line should have read 2nd summer birds reported in Finland and large ( 25 confirmed and 48 possible in Italy alone ) numbers in Italy and Israel. I have seen one in Norfolk that was present for several months during which it retained immature apricot flank feathers ( the previous year an apricot breast coloured juvenile had been fledged from the site ) . The following year it deposed our old breeding male and has returned every year since.

We have a very good photographic record of our adult honey buzzards and as most honey buzzards have differing patterns we are able to ID individuals.

I will see if there is a link for the paper on 1st summer honey buzzards.

This is not the link for the paper i was looking for , but it does document 18 confirmed and 48 possible 2nd summer honey buzzards in a single year , plus seven other 2nd summer birds from previous years.

http://www.raptormigration.org/panuccio06.pdf

Last edited:
shame there are no photos of the Italian birds in the article, the last time i spoke to DF about this (May 2008 - so after the BB article) he was still saying there were no European records of 1st summer (2cy) HB's in Europe (his opinion may have changed of course).
James

That's a handy little aid-memoir re: tail-length to wing-width ratio, i always think that good view of HoneyB even in silhouette always look long-tailed and long-necked but IMO...

Laurie -

In the bird linked, the bars on the wing does look like your description, but the tail still has the pattern I would expect of a HB: one terminal band and two close together by the tail coverts (look at the middle image in the link)?

That juvenile happened to have a more adult-like pattern, but usually juveniles and adults show a different pattern, with the distance between the subterminal bar and the second outermost bar being smaller in juveniles. Here's a better example:
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/aksu/t_Perapi_2008_10_Picture469.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back