• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

I got these from the garden this afternoon, probably the last time I'll see them from home.

Had them over the house again today, near Little Snoring. An era coming to the end. Used to come home low in formation after the Gulf War on their way home to Marham. Going to miss them more than the Jaguars.
F35s are okayish but no character, yet. F22 Raptors were very special a couple of years back.
Goodbye Tonka.
P

A June day c10 years ago, 6 Merlins low over Holborn Tube Station...brought more than a tear to my eye.......

Hope everyone has been enjoying the old colour scheme British Airways have been doing for their 100th anniversary. Go follow them on Facebook and Twitter.

Takes me back to when I saw the first BOAC jumbo fly over my school on approach to Heathrow, around 1970 / 71 I would guess.

Boeing 737 Max 8

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10891736
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019...ash-here-is-what-we-know/10888082?pfmredir=sm

I must admit that I do enjoy watching the series "Air Crash Investigations" for the detailed investigative and engineering work they do.

A lot of the incidents are quite old, but it is striking the number of:-
'Autopilot/ systems' ... fault/incident .... pilot interface, causes of accidents there are. Is there distinct 'haptic feedback' for Autopilot intervention? Many times the pilots seem stressfully unaware as they spin towards the ground in complete confusion.

This is closely followed by the manic 'woot woot woot' of alarms relating to unknown (such as engine fire/ or missing!) or contradictory information (air speed, altitude, flightpath).
I am stunned that almost never does someone get a visual on the engine etc - reverting to guessing ('logical' fault finding methodology), or RTFM (under extreme stress no less!). Surely it would be worthwhile to provide camera sourced visual information to the pilots for key items - engines, landing gear, flight control surfaces. Not to mention recording that at key points/interactions on the Flight Data Recorders.

The 737 forward order book is a ~$1Trillion dollar revenue. It seems we should have made more progress on safety by now.

Chosun :gh:

Can’t find a picture and I was out without my camera.
However, I was in Stockport town centre yesterday morning (under the Manchester Airport flight path) and I saw a British Airways A320 (I think) fly over wearing British European Airways livery. Looked fabulous.

There was loads of activity here the other day and the first aircraft here that can be seen on the tarmac, is of the same type, as one that flew over mу and whшich I can't recall having seen before, conincidence?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47688711

Looks to me thet once again, Russia has got the jump on the US, echoes here of Cuba, surely it removes any chance that Trump will inytervene in Vzla?

There was loads of activity here the other day and the first aircraft here that can be seen on the tarmac, is of the same type, as one that flew over mу and whшich I can't recall having seen before, conincidence?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47688711

Looks to me thet once again, Russia has got the jump on the US, echoes here of Cuba, surely it removes any chance that Trump will inytervene in Vzla?

Ilyushin 62M, the Russian equivalent of the VC-10. Though the Il 62 dates from 1963, the M version didn't go into service until about 1974, and has had a good reputation for stability in rough weather. The aircraft is the largest commercial aircraft to have fully manual controls, but whether those built later in the production run still were fully manual, I'm not sure. There's a reasonable Wikipedia article about it.
MJB

I find it interesting and sometimes bewildering how some military aircraft types are modernised and still flying in frontline active service after 50 or more years whilst others are mothballed quite quickly.
Eg. B-52 H USA only. Expected to be still in service till 2050. Nearly 90 years.
F 117a Nighthawk. USA Stealth fighter, c 25 years.

Last edited:
I find it interesting and sometimes bewildering how some military aircraft types are modernised and still flying in frontline active service after 50 or more years whilst others are mothballed quite quickly.
Eg. B-52 H USA only. Expected to be still in service till 2050. Nearly 90 years.
F 117a Nighthawk. USA Stealth fighter, c 25 years.

The thing is, as a bomb truck the B52 is in a class of its own, but it has no credibility as a participant in a modern peer conflict. Its only possible role would be to take cruise missiles to an unexpected launch position well outside the opposition's air defence cover.

The Nighthawk was for peer- and near-peer conflict and has been superseded by more survivable platforms such as the F-35.

Incidentally the first flight of the B52 was April 1952, so in 2050 the general aircraft type will be 98! There are six at RAF Fairford at the moment, I got some pictures yesterday of them parked up.

John

Ilyushin 62M, the Russian equivalent of the VC-10. Though the Il 62 dates from 1963, the M version didn't go into service until about 1974, and has had a good reputation for stability in rough weather. The aircraft is the largest commercial aircraft to have fully manual controls, but whether those built later in the production run still were fully manual, I'm not sure. There's a reasonable Wikipedia article about it.
MJB

Thanks, for time I've seen one here in St P. It's mainly choppers we see but planes seem to come in sporadic burts.

As we had a run of mentions of the British Airways retro schemes, which, regardless of their "100 years" publicity, celebrate 45 years of BA and perhaps 100 years of commercial aviation in Britain (a tenuous link by the time you've traced it back through BEA and BOAC, Imperial Airways and whoever preceded the last), here's a full set.

Its taken me some time to nail the lot, due to work and airline schedules rarely gelling and the constant East wind not helping at all!

BTW two can play at retro schemes - while staking out BA I caught Aer Lingus's very smart A320 done up in their retro scheme, so there's a bonus!

John

Aer Lingus retro Airbus A320-214

British European Airways (BEA) retro Airbus A319-131

British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) retro Boeing 747-436

British Airways Negus (original 1974 scheme designed by Negus and Negus Agency) retro Boeing 747-436

British Airways Landor (1984 scheme designed by Landor Associates) retro Boeing 747-436

Attachments

• 20190311 (18)_EI-DVM_Airbus_A320-214.JPG
    20190311 (18)_EI-DVM_Airbus_A320-214.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190413 (72)_G-EUPJ_BA_BEA_Airbus_A319-131.JPG
    20190413 (72)_G-EUPJ_BA_BEA_Airbus_A319-131.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190421 (11)_G-BYGC_BA_BOAC_Boeing_747-436.JPG
    20190421 (11)_G-BYGC_BA_BOAC_Boeing_747-436.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190413 (115)_G-CIVB_BA_Negus_Boeing_747-436.JPG
    20190413 (115)_G-CIVB_BA_Negus_Boeing_747-436.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190413 (29)_G-BNLY_BA_Landor_Boeing_747-436.JPG
    20190413 (29)_G-BNLY_BA_Landor_Boeing_747-436.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 22
Takes me back to living in Slough under the main fly path. Saturday mornings in the 60s saw my dad taking me up to Heathrow to view the planes, great viewing facilities for everyone on top of the terminal.

Pat said:
Saturday mornings in the 60s saw my dad taking me up to Heathrow to view the planes, great viewing facilities for everyone on top of the terminal.

I lived in Greenford at that time Pat. We would only get the planes when the wind was in a certain direction; they weren't too low, but did affect the television reception. My uncle lived in Hounslow and they all had been supplied with double-glazing to try and drown the noise a bit in the house.

We used to go to Heathrow in the evenings as teens and went up to the viewing area in one of the terminals to watch the planes come and go. If I'm not mis-remembering there was a bowling alley opposite (or nearby) and we went there after wards for a game.

Thanks for that memory lad.

As we had a run of mentions of the British Airways retro schemes, which, regardless of their "100 years" publicity, celebrate 45 years of BA and perhaps 100 years of commercial aviation in Britain (a tenuous link by the time you've traced it back through BEA and BOAC, Imperial Airways and whoever preceded the last), here's a full set.

Its taken me some time to nail the lot, due to work and airline schedules rarely gelling and the constant East wind not helping at all!

BTW two can play at retro schemes - while staking out BA I caught Aer Lingus's very smart A320 done up in their retro scheme, so there's a bonus!

John

British Airways Negus (original 1974 scheme designed by Negus and Negus Agency) retro Boeing 747-436

British Airways Landor (1984 scheme designed by Landor Associates) retro Boeing 747-436

Brings back memories seeing the 1984 scheme in the air that was my childhood in the 90's it was and still is my fav BA colour scheme I was gutted when they changed it to how it is today wish they kept it. Last night I ordered my ticket for Scotland's National Airshow in July.

John

Love the old BOAC scheme. Used to love seeing 707s, VC-10s, 747s in that scheme!

With this year being the 50th anniversary of The Concorde is anyone planning on getting some anniversary items? I recently ordered 50th Anniversary The Spirit Of Concorde' Men's Chronograph Watch &
The 50th Anniversary of Concorde 50p Coin Set.

Speaking of Concorde, I did get to see one Nov. last year. There is one on display at the USS Intrepid Museum in NYC.

For reasons unknown it was not open to walk through but I got some photos.

Attachments

• 2018 11 04 15 38 10.JPG
    2018 11 04 15 38 10.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2018 11 04 16 34 07.JPG
    2018 11 04 16 34 07.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 2018 11 04 16 34 43.JPG
    2018 11 04 16 34 43.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2018 11 04 16 36 58.JPG
    2018 11 04 16 36 58.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2018 11 04 16 47 35.JPG
    2018 11 04 16 47 35.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I was in the SW approaches off Cornwall on the 'MV Chalice' in about 1993 when we were underneath a sonic boom as one went over. Obviously you didn't hear it on land due to noise restrictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back