• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (1 Viewer)

Mike Montier

Happy New Year to all readers of this thread and thanks for all the news and information throughout the year. It was a bumper spring with many rare birds, the "Big Year" was huge fun and many scarce species were logged. I hope to see many of you again here in Mallorca and I will update as much as possible during the year. Just off to the beach now for my usual swim in the sea and a walk around my local patch. Best wishes and good birding, Mike.

Happy New year to you Mike, and thanks a million for keeping this series of threads going. Always makes a good read for us Mallorcophiles, even if (like me) we may not have been there for a while. Always hope to get back some day.

Happy New Year, Mike - and all readers/contibutors to this thread - from a wet and windy UK.
Martin

Happy New Year to all Mallorcaphiles and like others,many thanks for keeping these pages Interesting and up to date.I hope to be back again this year and Instead of booking Playa de Muro (2013),hope to head up Pollensa way.

It seems some locals are keen to have another "Big Year" in 2014. I will give it a go as I finished a miserable 17th in 2013 having seen 187 species whilst the winner logged 232. It was a record spring but a miserable autumn so let's hope for a bumper year with lots of surprises. There are now more people looking and consequently more birds are being seen. It really is a great place so I hope many of you will make it over here this year. I hope to meet up with some of you. Happy birding, Mike

Greylag geese at s'Albufera which is a good year tick, about the only place to see them here. I am going next week and will report on what's around. Mike

Thanks Martin, I am having another go this year as I plan to be here the whole time, hopefully with better luck. About 80 Flamingos at Salobrar today plus a good selection of waders and Osprey, Booted eagle and a Red kite. Mike

I would say that you were =15th and with 187 the leading Brit.
I also see you were beaten by a German birder. Come on now Mike, this won't do. ;) (Congrats to Michael Schade btw.)
It's beginning to look as though we may be there in May, at least I hope so.

Thanks Martin, I am having another go this year as I plan to be here the whole time, hopefully with better luck. About 80 Flamingos at Salobrar today plus a good selection of waders and Osprey, Booted eagle and a Red kite. Mike

Hi Mike

I'm hoping to be out in Spring. I will be a free agent by then.

All the best and good luck!

Martin

Having seen this thread, it is very tempting to come back in the spring now.

Birds, sea, sunshine and a smorgasbord of cured meats from the markets. Hard to beat.

Hi. I am planning to visit Mallorca for a week from the 30th May. I have been twice in the spring but don't know what the birds are like in May/June time. I realise that migration will be over. Will mostly visit places around Puerto Pollensa as it isn't an exclusively birding holiday and we won't have a car. Any suggestions other than the usual places would be very gratefully received.
Thank you in advance
Rach

Having seen this thread, it is very tempting to come back in the spring now.

Birds, sea, sunshine and a smorgasbord of cured meats from the markets. Hard to beat.

When I was out there last summer the owner of the place we rented out in the sticks provided us with a welcome pack that included a nice chunk of local chorizo and a good wedge of a local cheese that were perfect as an after-dinner snack with a sundowner, watching the day draw to a close over the mountains.

Bliss.

I asked her what the cheese was, because it appealed to me and I'm not a great cheese lover (I hate Cheddar). Unfortunately she didn't know, but thought it might be Mahon. It wasn't Mahon, because I'm familiar with it - a bit like Edam, but with a deep yellow wax rind.

This cheese was pale and mild, but tangy (not so much of a hint of 'feet'), slightly salty and more crumbly than Mahon and it had a blackish crust. I looked in the Pollensa supermarkets, but couldn't see anything like it.

If anyone could come up with a suggestion of what it might be I'd be more than happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0157-web.jpg
    IMG_0157-web.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Thanks davercox, yes, beaten by a German who is not here all the time but many congratulations to him. I have never met him but look forward to doing so.
Rach. What a great time to be here, there will still be some migration with Lesser kestrels, Red-footed falcons, Golden orioles and hopefully a Roller or two. The area around Puerto Pollença is the best place to be, Son Real is worth a visit as I think the plant life is interesting too. Let me know is there is any particular species you would like to see and I will try to help.
Barred Wobbler: I have never been asked to identify a cheeze before!! If it had a black rind it may have been a Manchego but the texture looks more like a mild goat cheeze that I often buy in the market. It is lovely with no hint of goat but I could be wrong. I will take a look in the market tomorrow.
Quite a few Red-breasted mergansers around the coast and I am still trying to get a permit to go up Puig Mayor to see the Snow finch. Mike

Thanks Mike.

The one I'm on about had a sort of dark grey crumbly crust (blackish), not the black, glossy waxy coating that I saw an another cheese in the supermarket.

Looking at photos of Manchego, it might be that, but the description of the rind isn't right. Any more info would be welcome.

This cheese was pale and mild, but tangy (not so much of a hint of 'feet'), slightly salty and more crumbly than Mahon and it had a blackish crust. I looked in the Pollensa supermarkets, but couldn't see anything like it.

If anyone could come up with a suggestion of what it might be I'd be more than happy.

This sounds like a cheese I enjoy with my meats in Spain and Portugal. There are many varieties but I gather it is a cured cheese of some sort. I think a salty liquid such as brine is used to cure the cheese until it is possibly air dried. If you visit the markets then you will easily find many of these, often with the word 'curado' on the label.

Interested to know if anybody knows better.

Hi

I'm 99% certain that, from the description, it wasn't Manchego. I would also favour Mahon.
There are many 'versions' of Mahon cheese. My guess would be 'curado', as Andrew said, probably one of the aged versions. Did it look remotely like the 2nd cheese illustrated here:
http://www.currycurryquetepillo.com/2010/10/queso-mahon.html
My favourite Spanish cheese would probably be Cabrales from a few mountain villages in the eastern Asturias. Luckily there are a very few places in London where one can get it - but you have to like a strong blue cheese!

Martin

Last edited:
It was a pale, slightly crumbly cheese with a very mild flavour. I tried a couple of curados and semi-curados and found them too strong for my taste - too 'feety'. I'm a fan of mild cheeses - although perversely, I quite like blue stilton!

I had a look at the second cheese in your link Martin, and it wasn't like that. It didn't have all that white flakiness through it, although the crust looked similar.

I have just consulted my wife who believes it is a sheep's cheese that we bought in a market at Caimari festival. We will try to find it again. All I remember is that it was just delicious, mild, creamy and yet a distinctive flavour. Will let you know! Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back