• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Butterfly Count (1 Viewer)

I took part in The Butterfly Count today. My records were
7 Green Viened White
1 Small White
1 Large White
2 Red Admiral
2 Meadow Brown

We gave up as we couldn't find any way of listing the following species after downloading the app:

Essex, Large and Small Skipper
Small Heath
Chalkhill and Silver-Studded Blue
Grayling
Silver-washed Fritillary
White Admiral.

All of the above species can be found in the local area.

Dave W

I counted on Saturday afternoon.

7 Peacock
5 Large White
3 Small White
1 Small Blue
1 Ringlet
1 Brimstone

The buddleia was swarming with the peacocks.

Ha! I was reading the notes OH and I made instead of what I submitted to the Count!

It should be Common Blue! OH had written Small Blue. :king:

I took part in The Big Butterfly Count today and saw

3 Small White
2 Peacock
1 Green Viened White
1 Meadow Brown

Referring to my earlier post and aeshna 5's comments, I contacted Butterfly Conservation about the missing species and was advised to submit them via iRecord, which seems to make the count somewhat invalid. I suggest BC either includes all the species on the App or just restricts the count to a garden Butterfly Count like the birding equivalent.

Dave W

I’d have thought the purpose of the count is to get ‘regular’ people interested, and possibly to monitor Fortunes of common species. Too many hard-to-find (or ID) species could be offputting.

I imagine that if they included rarer species, people would start erroneously recording them, which would invalidate records and cause more work.

Maybe they should have set up a 'secret' section on the app to unlock rare species for accredited observers, or something ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back