• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cetti's Warbler song (1 Viewer)

robhope

Can anyone tell me where I can get a recording of the Cetti's Warbler song as I am off to Titchfield Haven (Hampshire) at the end of the month and would like to know what to listen out for. I have read the Mnemonic on the database by pigsonthewing but would like to add a recording to my songs collection.

I have the Collins Guide to Bird Songs and Calls of Britain and Northern Europe but many of the unusual/uncommon warblers are not on it.

Is there another book/CD that has Cetti's, Icterine, Melodious, Barred, Savi's... songs on?

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few.

To be honest you probably won't need a recording in order to identify a Cetti's Warbler.

It is so loud and so distinctive, its like nothing you have heard before.

The RSPB website (www.rspb.org) has recordings of many birds - including the Cetti's. Not sure if this will be as comprehensive as you'd like, but it would add to your collection.

If you were particularly interested in Cetti's, you could try a walk around Stodmarsh in Kent..... This would enable you to nail their song pretty easily - they'll be the ones that are deafening you pretty much every step of the way round, and as Sean says, it is a pretty distinctive song.... There are so many of them that most times you're able to get some sort of a view too (not always easy with Cetti's)

Good Luck.... Ruby

Ruby said:
If you were particularly interested in Cetti's, you could try a walk around Stodmarsh in Kent..... This would enable you to nail their song pretty easily - they'll be the ones that are deafening you pretty much every step of the way round, and as Sean says, it is a pretty distinctive song.... There are so many of them that most times you're able to get some sort of a view too (not always easy with Cetti's)

Good Luck.... Ruby
There were loads of them calling today at Stodmarsh, I had the delight of teaching my girlfriend the call and she was picking them out within minutes, managed a few glimpses too.

Mick

robhope said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a recording of the Cetti's Warbler song as I am off to Titchfield Haven (Hampshire) at the end of the month and would like to know what to listen out for. I have read the Mnemonic on the database by pigsonthewing but would like to add a recording to my songs collection.

I have the Collins Guide to Bird Songs and Calls of Britain and Northern Europe but many of the unusual/uncommon warblers are not on it.

Is there another book/CD that has Cetti's, Icterine, Melodious, Barred, Savi's... songs on?

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few.

Hi Rob,

As you're in Sussex, try a walk around Arundel WWT, I counted at least 8 singing males around the reserve when I was last there 2 weeks ago, got some good views too.

Cheers,

John.

Ahh but they do seem to have local dialects - round here (Norwich) they go plink plinky-plinky-plink plinky-plinky-plink, but on the broads it's more plink plinky-plink plinky-plinky-plinky

But any case they're the loud buggers shouting from the bushes. If it makes you jump it's a cetti's

HarassedDad said:
Ahh but they do seem to have local dialects - round here (Norwich) they go plink plinky-plinky-plink plinky-plinky-plink, but on the broads it's more plink plinky-plink plinky-plinky-plinky

love the description! plinky plink. :t:

cetti's warbler song......the lyrics!

easy way to remember the call of the Cetti's warbler is................

Oi! Have you seen it yet....have you seen it yet!!

or Oi! Who's a pretty boy, who's a pretty boy!!!!!
That's how we hear it at Stodmarsh, more than 40 pairs there according to the warden! You won't miss them there!

Jude

Plink?
To me it's more like: Cetti! Chuchuchuchuchuchi-cetti! Chuchuchuchuchuchi-cetti!
(C pronounced as in Italian... and ch as in English).
I used to think Cettia was onomatopaeic...

Xenospiza said:
Plink?
To me it's more like: Cetti! Chuchuchuchuchuchi-cetti! Chuchuchuchuchuchi-cetti!
(C pronounced as in Italian... and ch as in English).
I used to think Cettia was onomatopaeic...

Or as Simon Barnes puts it:

"Me? Cetti's? If you don't like it - f*ck off!"

i find MangoVerde a great site to listen to bird song. they also have some videos and photos of almost all species. if you cant find the species your looking for ( I cant see any problem with Cetti's) then it is probably listed under another name. so its best to use the scientific name to find the bird your after.

Mango Verde

HarassedDad said:

But any case they're the loud buggers shouting from the bushes. If it makes you jump it's a cetti's

And in Cornwall they are more " og og oggy oggy oggy "

Perry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back