• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

We Will Remember Them... (1 Viewer)

scampo

Steve Campsall
I've posted this in the "Birds and Poetry" thread, too, but thought it relevant to post it separately.

Here is a very moving poem from the Second World War along with a commentary (not mine). I find it tragically moving.

“Some of those educated since the 1960s will judge the poem dated, class-based and fatally flawed with a romantic notion of war. But I come back again to a simple, stark point. In the world as it is, what we enjoy, what touches our deepest convictions, has depended on the willingness of people to lose their lives in defending it. So we remember them with a sense of the loss of all that they might have given to make our world a better place and all that they have given to prevent it from being even worse than it is now…”

No Ordinary Sunday

No ordinary Sunday. First the light
Falling dead through dormitory windows blind
With fog; and then, at breakfast, every plate
Stained with the small, red cotton flower; and no
Sixpence for pocket-money. Greatcoats, lined
By the right, marched from their pegs, with slow
Poppy fires smouldering in one lapel
To light us through the fallen cloud. Behind
That handkerchief sobbed the quick Sunday bell.

A granite cross, the school field underfoot,
Inaudible prayers, hymn-sheets that stirred
Too loudly in the hand. When hymns ran out,
Silence, like silt, lay round so wide and deep
It seemed that winter held its breath. We heard
Only the river talking in its sleep:
Until the bugler flexed his lips, and sound
Cutting the fog cleanly like a bird,
Circled and sang out over the bandaged ground.

Then, low-voiced, the headmaster called the roll
Of those who could not answer; every name
Suffixed with honour—‘double first’, ‘kept goal
For Cambridge’—and a death—in spitfires, tanks,
And ships torpedoed. At his call there came
Through the mist blond heroes in broad ranks
With rainbows struggling on their chests. Ahead
Of us, in strict step, as we idled home
Marched the formations of the towering dead.

November again, and the bugles blown
In a tropical Holy Trinity,
The heroes today stand further off, grown
Smaller but distinct. They flash no medals, keep
No ranks: through Last Post and Reveille
Their chins loll on their chests, like birds asleep.
Only when the long, last note ascends
Upon the wings of kites, some two or three
Look up: and have the faces of my friends.

Jon Stallworthy

Last edited:
Steve,
that is a very moving poem, duly copied and will be posted onwards.

My father lost 2 members of his family on the first day of the Somme in WW1, my father-in-law stood for 36 hours in the sea at Dunkirk in WW2 and my friend lost his brother to a sniper in Northern Ireland.

Wear that poppy with pride.

Keith Dickinson said:
Steve,
that is a very moving poem, duly copied and will be posted onwards.

My father lost 2 members of his family on the first day of the Somme in WW1, my father-in-law stood for 36 hours in the sea at Dunkirk in WW2 and my friend lost his brother to a sniper in Northern Ireland.

Wear that poppy with pride.
I'm so glad you liked it. I was a little worried that some might find it redolent of a past they might not like but the commentary says it all.

Thirty-six hours? My word - we don't know we're born, do we? Such courage. Freedom won at such high cost. Let's hope those who these days seem to be against that very concept are defeated without more violence. This evening's news item on the evil of the BNF and others in our society who hate tolerance and freedom was not good to watch.

scampo said:
I'm so glad you liked it. I was a little worried that some might find it redolent of a past they might not like but the commentary says it all.

Thirty-six hours? My word - we don't know we're born, do we? Such courage. Freedom won at such high cost. Let's hope those who these days seem to be against that very concept are defeated without more violence. This evening's news item on the evil of the BNF and others in our society who hate tolerance and freedom was not good to watch.

BNF and other scum like that do not deserve to live in this country. They try to usurp the sacrifices that decent people made to their own warped ends.

Beautiful sentiments...

I took a group of 13 year-olds to Ypres in September: contrary to what you might expect, the whole group (45 kids) found the whole experience : Tyne Cot, Langemarck, Sanctuary Wood etc tremendously moving. Many of them actually cried when they saw that some of the dead German Infantry in Langemarck were only 15 years old.....

Attachments

• Solemn, yet beautiful.....jpg
    Solemn, yet beautiful.....jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 71
No TB...I've found that the kids do react positively when they are presented with the bald facts. Like Arthur my dad-in-law, when I've told kids in the RSPB Pheonix group that I used to lead about what he did, there was not one of them that laughed, they all asked how he coped.

Keith Dickinson said:
BNF and other scum like that do not deserve to live in this country. They try to usurp the sacrifices that decent people made to their own warped ends.
Yup - scum of all sorts with immature, egocentric minds that have no concept of enlightened ideals such as dignity, integrity, kindness and courage. Sad times.

A friend of mine goes to the Remembrance Service just to say a simple "thankyou".Which really does say it all.But what makes me feel,very sad,is that this Sunday,we will also be thinking of the young soldiers,who have lost their lives in Iraq and such places,very ,very sad.

scampo said:
Yup - scum of all sorts with immature, egocentric minds that have no concept of enlightened ideals such as dignity, integrity, kindness and courage. Sad times.

Steve,

Lest WE Forget - surely some of the truest words ever spoken.

For if we forget, who will explain to the doubters that the atrocities recorded in flickering black and white films happened for real and are not figments of the film directors' vivid imagination.

I'll be watching the march past at the Cenotaph as usual and marvelling at the pride these veterans display in honouring the memory of their fallen comrades. And I'll watch fascinated at how the effect of the years rolls away from their tired bodies when, for those few all-important minutes, these veterans become young men marching with a purpose once again.

It will be either a very hard man or a fool who is not moved to tears!

Thanks for the thread Steve

Around this time of year i send a lot of time thinking about my father and his two dead mates (19 years old). I go to the old airfield in Lincs and think of them thundering down the runway fully laden with bombs and fuel, each man absolutely terrified but determined not to let down his mates. Given the odds of surviving were one in three, most crews wouldn't make 20 missions - they had to fly 30 to 'finish' though - and would end up blown up over Europe somewhere, or in a POW camp like my father if they were 'lucky'. He also passed through Luckenwalde and amazingly, Buchenwald camp but that's another story.

I have no idea how they put themselves through it again and again Given they were shot down on Nov 4th, I think it was always a tough time of year for my father. They suffered a lot, physically and mentally. Most never complained though.

Amazing people. Not many like them around these days. I'd say i'll be remembering them today, but i think about it every day...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/68/a4420568.shtml
http://www.bomberhistory.co.uk/Canal raids/Loss PB192.html

Last edited:
christineredgate said:
But what makes me feel,very sad,is that this Sunday,we will also be thinking of the young soldiers,who have lost their lives in Iraq and such places,very ,very sad.

Indeed - perhaps Remembering isn't enough

It is upto the current generations to perpetuate the memories as the veterans of WW2 are becoming fewer. As most peope, I find this time of year very moving and wonder what our lives would have been like, if indeed we'd been born, should history have been different.

Also saw very moving scenes at Omagh beach cemetery in Normandy with people in tears. One entry in the Visitor book was very poignant - it just read 'Thanks Gramps'!

Wonderful poetry, thanks for posting it.

Tim Allwood said:

Around this time of year i spend a lot of time thinking about my father and his two dead mates (19 years old)...
Lots to remember there, Tim. Such memories help form who we are and how we act in life, that's for sure. You have much to be proud of and I expect he'd be mighty proud of you. My own father was lucky to have been too young for any serious action but his values were surely moulded by the events of those days.

Attachments

• poppies.jpg
    poppies.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Like Tim, my Dad was in the RAF: but he was fortunate enough not to be shot down. He did, however, carry the memories of things he'd done and seen done throughout his life.
Some scars are not visible on the outside....

Tim Allwood said:

Around this time of year i send a lot of time thinking about my father and his two dead mates (19 years old). I go to the old airfield in Lincs and think of them thundering down the runway fully laden with bombs and fuel, each man absolutely terrified but determined not to let down his mates. Given the odds of surviving were one in three, most crews wouldn't make 20 missions - they had to fly 30 to 'finish' though - and would end up blown up over Europe somewhere, or in a POW camp like my father if they were 'lucky'. He also passed through Luckenwalde and amazingly, Buchenwald camp but that's another story.

I have no idea how they put themselves through it again and again Given they were shot down on Nov 4th, I think it was always a tough time of year for my father. They suffered a lot, physically and mentally. Most never complained though.

Amazing people. Not many like them around these days. I'd say i'll be remembering them today, but i think about it every day...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/68/a4420568.shtml
http://www.bomberhistory.co.uk/Canal raids/Loss PB192.html
My Dad, also RAF, was in the same camps, I believe, Tim ( he didn't talk about it much). It certainly affected the rest of his life. We owe them all so much.

Steve - thank you. A very moving poem. Hope you don't mind but I have posted a link on Talksmall.

I found that when I taught War Poetry to children they have reacted with great compassion and are genuinely moved by the words.

Kits said:
Steve - thank you. A very moving poem. Hope you don't mind but I have posted a link on Talksmall.

I found that when I taught War Poetry to children they have reacted with great compassion and are genuinely moved by the words.
My experiences, too - a wonderful teaching resource.

When I was young this day was called (in the USA) "Armistice Day." Because WWII and the Korean War loomed larger in recent memory (the 1950s) than WWI, the day was changed to "Veterans' Day," to honor veterans of all wars. Is it observed in a similar manner in the UK?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back