• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E-620 (1 Viewer)

Imace

Hi All, Happy new year to you all.
I am thinking about getting an E-620. Has anyone any dealings with the E-620 they can share with me good or bad
Thanks
Ian

Hi J
No I am at present between SLR's. I am experimenting with digiscoping but i am fed up with carting loads of kit around. Thats why i gave up on the Canon/Nikon DSLR's. I was impressed with the weight and compact of the Olympus E series.

Ian

Hi All, Happy new year to you all.
I am thinking about getting an E-620. Has anyone any dealings with the E-620 they can share with me good or bad
Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian, I've no personal experience of the camera, but it gets good reviews if you can get used to the small size. See here:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=46137

As with all things to do with DSLRs though, think carefully about the lens you want to use with it. I read your other post & think the Olympus 70-300 zoom will suit your needs quite well if you can accept its shortcomings (not the fastest focusser, nor is it fast in terms of max aperture), but optical quality is good. I know Ron (NoSpringChicken) will agree with this lens choice and might advise better about the body too-he uses an E-30.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the link, very useful info on the site. The reason i am looking at the Olympus E Series is I can't hold heavy items to long in my hands. I sold my Canon and Nikon stuff as they were to heavy. Tried the Panasonic FZ18 excellent camera but limited. I have been impressed with the 4/3 system and the weight and quality of the olympus is good.

Ian

Hi Imace,

I think that the combo E-620 + Zuiko Digital 70-300mm it's what you need.
I use E-520 + ZD 70-300 and E-520 + ZD 50-200 SWD + EC-14. It think that E-620 is a good camera (I've never used one, but I've read some good reviews).

Hi Ian. My ears were burning so I thought I would post a reply to your question. I have no experience of the E-620 but, as Steve said, I have an E-30 and also an E-510. From the reviews I have read it appears that the E-620 and E-30 are broadly similar but with different body sizes and a few more features on the E-30. The IQ from both is meant to be pretty much the same and the E-620 has a slightly higher spec LCD.

Your reasons for looking at the Olympus range echo my own. I wanted a light, compact system which I can carry easily when I am walking about. I am not interested in sitting in a hide all day with a big lens on a tripod. The in-body stabilization works well and all my shots are taken hand held. How successful they are is a matter of opinion but you can see them in my Gallery. Last week I ordered the 50-200 lens, which is faster and slightly sharper than the 70-300. However, when I tried it on my camera it was much heavier than my existing lens and I found that my arms were beginning to ache after a little while playing with it indoors. I decided that it didn't really suit my requirements, so I returned it for a refund. The 50-200 is lighter than the Canon and Nikon 400 lenses which are commonly used so I can empathize with your experience with them.

The E-620 and 70-300 lens is an excellent combination for the money (even better for the next two weeks with a cash back on the lens from Olympus). It is capable of very good results with a bit of care and under the correct conditions. I use the EC-14 teleconverter in the summer, when the light is better (it reduces the aperture by one stop). It degrades the image very little but it is essential to avoid movement at that focal length. As with any system, though, there is no substitute for getting close to the bird for best results. As Steve says, Olympus is not the ideal choice if there is any prospect in the future that you will want a longer lens. In your case that doesn't sound likely, so I would suggest trying them out if you can find somewhere with them in stock. They really are very good.

Finally, I know 'Amadoux' recently purchased an E-620, so it is possible you might get a post from her to give her opinion.

I hope this helps a bit.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the feedback, I have been reviewing all morning and have decided on an Oly. Which one i don't know.. I have been to Curry's and they have a E-600 ( An E-620 with some bits removed, not important ones.) for £399 inc lens. I think it is only for the DRG Group PC World, Currys and Dixons. Which has thrown the cat among the pigeons as i was trying to decide between the E520 or the E620. Anyway the reviews are very good for the E600 as well as the others. The reason i added the E520 is when you read the reviews of the e620 they harp on about the E520. When you check prices used and new you can get a better bundle with the E520.

Thanks again
Ian

Hi all.

i have tried the E 520 for a short period of time then i got the E 620, defiantly the E 620 is far much better, regarding the focusing, but both are less than my older E 300, which if it was not for the low 8 MP i would not have change it.

there are two things

1- i do not like the position of the ev compensation dial, it was in a perfect position in the E 300 as you can change it easily if you are looking through the viewfinder. the E 300 did not have an active screen.

2- the motor drive speed in the E 620 in not as reliable as was in the E300, of course the E300 is a semi professional model while the E 620 is an amuter one but i thought as the technology progress i would not get this problem.

other than that the E 620 is a marvelous light weight with superb capabilities, frankly i am not a top photographer but what i am getting form it is quite satisfactory for me.

and It make a perfects duo with the 70-300 mm which may seem to be difficult to Handel at the beginning but when you get to know it you will love it. the Zuiko 45-150 mm lens is a master piece very very accurate in AF, but not a good choice for bid photography.

if you are really into birds photography and got 1000 USD to spare, i would strongly suggest the Sigma 50-500mm.

hope that helps, have fun.

Thanks Ammadoux for your advice. By the sounds of it i should be looking for the E300, I am not one to be impressed with megapixels some of my best pictures have come from a 3mg pixel camera. If the only reason you changed from the E300 to the E620 is the size of its pixel ;);) then i will be on the look out for the aged E300 as well.
Many thanks again
IAn

LOL Ian do be careful with the E 300 as it has to have an upgraded software to make it compatible with the newer lenses like the ED 45-150mm and 70-300mm. otherwise if it was like mine, which does not, then i use to unmount the lens turn on the camera then mounted again, for me it was ok, i am only having a good time with my photography, but if you really want quick action it will be not a good thing.

other than that the E 300 is a real marvel.

BTW, forgot to say the life time of the batter for the E300 is much better than the E 620, usually at my countries electronics are sold with lower quality than the ones sold on Europe i am aware of that. but i have got both form the same dealer here in Jeddah, they are 6 year apart, i don't know weather this has any significance but the quality of his servises have gone lower than before.

from all that i am not saying that the E 620 is bad, on the contrary it is another marvel from Olympus, but i wish i took the E 30 as i am use to the professional level cameras, ever since the days of the OM series. but i have chosen the E 620 for its compact size, i have somehow small hands.

Hi Dulce,

What about the IQ with E-620 at high ISO?
I'm asking about this because, from my point of view, with E-520 the highest usable ISO is 400. If I will decide to upgrade, I want a camera with a good IQ at ISO 800...

Hi,

I seem to either own or have used most Olympus slrs over the years so can give a fair comparison.

The E-620 is light and appears to have every feature that you could think of, plus a few more. For my hands the slightly larger E-510/520 is a better fit and also takes the larger Olympus slr battery. In practice battery life has never been a problem for me with Olympus and in the case with the 620 you may still be able to buy one with a free battery grip that allows the use of two batteries.

The E-300 was one of my favourites - but I was in the minority. It is far heavier (better built?) but belongs to an earlier generation of cameras with less impressive sensor/processor technology.

The lightest of the Olympus slrs are the E-420/450 series but they do not have the image stabilisation that comes in very useful. (Neither does the E-300 - far too old.)

Another benefit of the 620 is its multiple angle lcd that also allows 'a live view' for those occasions when looking through a viewfinder is less convenient e.g. macro shots.

In terms of reliability I have only had one problem with a newish Olympus and that was back in 1970!

The E-620 is a useful back-up to the E-3 which I tend to use more as it is water resistant and is better balanced with the heavier Oly lenses.

In truth I think that the 620 would have been a better camera with fewer features, the mytical E-600 does not really appear much better.

As for actual in-use experiences the JPEGS are brilliant if you can't be bothered with RAW, the wireless flash is great especially for remorely triggering macro flash units, and (especially with the battery grip) long heavy lenses are useable (greatly assisted by the image stabilisation).

In summary it does the job - it would be better if they had not included the kitchen sink (finding the highest quality JPEG settings is a challenge - but won't effect most folks) - it isn't quite the right shape for my hands (but that is just me). The E-3 does more for me (but at that price so it should) and the E_P1 is more fun. The Olympus Master 2 software is great for organising all your shots and RAW development but a second programme for working on the images would be my recommendation.

Regrettably I would say forget the E-300 option though if you are passing through N. Wiltshire in the near future send a message and if I'm around have a play with an E-620 (and an E-300) - its really the only way to really see if you like a camera.

J

Thanks for the advice J. I may take you up on that ofer if i haven't made up my mind before 11th May when i will be going to Minehead for a few days.

Ian

Hi Dulce,

I'm asking about this because, from my point of view, with E-520 the highest usable ISO is 400. If I will decide to upgrade, I want a camera with a good IQ at ISO 800...

Hi Christan, at larger ISO the image quality certainly go lower, so i don't go higher than 400. i have uploaded some shots.

the first and the second ones is at ISO 800 at around 7:00 am one and half hour after sunrise.

the third is at ISO 500 at 9:00 am.

the fourth one is at ISO 400 taken at around 12:00 pm.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• CC2a.jpg
    CC2a.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 244
  • CC16a.jpg
    CC16a.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 221
  • mw55a.jpg
    mw55a.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 223
  • mw42a.jpg
    mw42a.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 209
I don't know about the E-620 but, on the assumption that it is similar to the E-30, I would say that it is definitely better than the E-510/520 but not massively so. I can use ISO 800 with reasonable success but wouldn't normally go beyond that. It still lags way behind the latest Canon and Nikon cameras which can use some ridiculously high ISO settings with excellent results.

I am not sure I would upgrade to the current Olympus cameras just for better high ISO performance but would probably wait to see what the next generation is like.

Ron

Thankx for your input Ron. ISO 800 is all I need. If the IQ with E-30/E-620 at ISO 800 is similar with the IQ with E-520 at ISO 400, this would be OK for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back