• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (1 Viewer)

IanF

Located off the A1185 Seal Sands Road two kilometres east of the A689 Wolviston Roundabout junction on the north side of Billingham. Site facilities include a large metalled car park and several paths providing easy access for the disabled. There is a modern visitor centre, but opening times seem to vary and is geared more toward school visits and organised activities though they won't turn anyone away.

Whilst there is an area to the south of the Seal Sands Road to which public have access, that area has been heavily planted with young trees and has little established habitat as yet. The reserve is mainly to the north side of the A1185.

The site covers approx one square kilometre of mainly grassland which also covers two small hills. There are varied habitats including still water ponds, a stream, reed beds, mixed woodland and several established hedge lines.

Adjacent to the car park, access through a small chain link gate opposite the car park entrance is a well designed bird feeding station which is kept going throughout Winter and early Spring attracting a very good head of birds with regular visitors including Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer, Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Redwing, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Bull Finch, Great Spotted Woodpecker. There is a second smaller feeding station behind the visitors centre but isn't as good as the main one.

There is one large pond and several smaller ones dotted around the site attracting a good variety of water birds, both residents and migrants. There is a permanent head of Mallard, Tufted Tufted Duck, Pochard, Coot and Moorhen, with Cormorants, Little Grebe, Ruddy Duck, Heron and Goosander seen almost daily. Mute Swans and Canada Geese breed each year. Goldeneye, Red Crested Pochard, Kingfisher and Smew seem to crop up each year. The pond can be accessed from three sides, the fourth being a nature reserve. The surrounding bushes include a good selection of the smaller birds. Whilst unsightly electricity pylons cross the site, they provide perfect lookout points for numerous Kestrels, Sparrowhawks and the occasional Marsh and Hen Harriers which have been known to nest in the park.

Several of the smaller wetland areas attract a wide variety of Dragon Fly and Damsel Fly in the Summer for which the site is noted.

The stream through the site attracts water birds and Kingfisher and at it's eastern end is a Long Eared Owl roost, though they are difficult to see.

This is my local birding area and I find something to see on every visit.

Attachments

• p1010027 so.jpg
    p1010027 so.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:
Ian,
If I get back up home for more that just one day - I'll give you a shout and you can give me a guided tour. I always used to pass this place on the bus from Hartlepool to Middlesbrough.

I usually saw the rabbits at dusk near the road going through.

I always wanted to have a walk around there but I'm sad to say I never did.

I loved to see the seals on the sandbanks too. Oh happy days.
I'd even buy you a few pints to show my thanks!

vicky@glos

Ian

Hopefully I will get a weekend up that way in the not too disatant future. I would love a day out around this area. It sounds fine to me.

Let me know if you do come up John, there are loads of sites locally to visit, though no garuntees of any 'specials' being around. I could take a couple of days off work to show you around - just steer clear of the week around March 14th as I'll be having my operation then.

I love site gen. It's like a carrot on a stick!! Pity it's too far for me to go there. I can see you having plenty of good days there, oh and yes there's a cemetery too!! A possible Cemetery bash site?LOL

Sounds a lovely place to have as your local Ian, and thanks for the map. I remember reading Bill Oddie's book for birding beginners, and one of his first pieces of advice was to get to know your own local manor first. And you have.

Lovely report and nice for you to have Cowpen Bewley Woodland Country Park so near. We'll have to have a BF bash on tour one day and come up and see you!

You are most welcome Peter.

It's only one of a half dozen locations all very close to where I live. I'll get around to listing the other major ones.

At less than a mile from home, things don't get much more local for a local patch.

With the best of intentions I thought I keep a list of species seen as the year progresses. No doubt there will be a 'same-ness' to the lists of species seen though new birds do turn up throughout the year.

Sometimes I just visit one area and sometimes trips cover the whole Park.

Park Information -

Located off the A1185 Seal Sands Road two kilometres east of the A689 Wolviston Roundabout junction on the north side of Billingham. Site facilities include a large metalled car park and several paths providing easy access for the disabled. There is a modern visitor centre, but opening times seem to vary and is geared more toward school visits and organised activities though they won't turn anyone away.

The main site covers approx one square kilometre of mainly grassland which also covers two small hills. There are varied habitats including still water ponds, a stream, reed beds, mixed woodland and several established hedge lines. The south side of Seal Sands Road is part of the park and is mainly recently planted woodland with numerous paths throughout.

Adjacent to the car park and access through a small chain link gate opposite the car park entrance is a bird feeding station which is kept going throughout Winter and early Spring attracting a very good head of birds with regular visitors including Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer, Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Redwing, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Willow Tit, Marsh Tit and Great Spotted Woodpecker. There is a second smaller feeding station behind the visitors centre used by ringers but access isn't as good as the main one with food only provided when ringing is in progress.

There is one large pond and several smaller ones dotted around the site attracting a good variety of water birds, both resident and migrant. There is a permanent head of Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Coot and Moorhen with Cormorants, Little Grebe, Ruddy Duck, Heron seen almost daily. Mute Swan and Canada Geese breed most years. Goldeneye, Red Crested Pochard, Kingfisher and Smew crop up each year. The pond can be accessed from three sides the fourth being a nature reserve. The surrounding bushes hold a good selection of the smaller birds. Whilst unsightly electricity pylons cross the site they provide perfect lookout points for numerous Kestrels, Sparrowhawks and the occasional Marsh and Hen Harriers which have been known to nest in the park.

Several of the smaller wetland areas attract a wide variety of Dragonfly and Damselfly in the Summer for which the site is noted.

The stream through the site attracts water birds and Kingfisher.

Facilities -
Months Open: All Year
Opening Hours: 9am-4pm. (Visitor Centre Closed Saturdays)
Car parking facilities: Yes
Coach parking facilities: Yes
Picnic area (uncovered): Yes
Wheelchair access: Yes
Toilets: Yes
Children's play area: Yes
Shop/gift centre: Yes
Coffee shop: Yes

Contact Details
Phone: 01642 415225
Fax: 01642 415225

Email:[email protected]

I shall attempt to keep this thread going throughout the year with updates of what has been seen. Please feel free to chip in with any observations or add any birds you've seen if you've visit the park.

Attachments

• Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park.jpg
    Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 337
New Years Day 2006

A dull overcast day but being the first one of the year a visit to the park was almost a must. It was fine and temperatures pretty mild around 6°C. A chill breeze from the south west but not too strong made it feel quite fresh.

Pauliev69 accompanied me on a visit c.10:30-12:30.

Parking in the car park there were c.20 birds on the tall trees mainly comprising Greenfinch, Goldfinch and a couple of Yellowhammer. A few Magpie and Crow and a Rook were on the various small trees around the picnic area. On the pond beside the car park were a pair of Mute Swan (resident) and some Mallard.

We headed along the hard core path to the filter bed and turned right through the five-bar gate and forked right so as to follow the hawthorn hedge beside the visitor centre. Usually a good spot for birds there was nothing to see today - not even on the small feeding station used by the ringers behind the visitor centre - despite being piled with food. No sign of the ringers either.

One reaching the railway line the path turns left through 20' high Alder trees. I'd just passed one when Paul called me back a few yards and pointed up into the tree. He'd heard Siskin and sure enough there were six of them feeding on the old catkins. A regular winter visitor but not always easy to find. We spent a few minutes watching them and trying to take a few photos in the dull light. They moved to another tree and we followed where we also saw three Goldfinch, two Goldcrest and a flock of Long-tailed Tit x12.

Following the path by the railway lines we could see large flocks of birds on a small embankment 150 yards away on the other side of the lines where there is no access. Too distant to ID the 150+ small birds flock for sure but Linnet sprung to mind. The flcoks of Crows and Feral Pigeons were easy enough to see numbering around 30 each.

As we reached the main pond we could see a different flock of birds which lept landing and taking off from bushes and trees on either side of the track. As we got closer we could see they were virtually all Linnet but also with Greenfinch, Goldfinch and a few Redwing mixed in. They made a remarkable sight almost as numerous as the leaves would have been. A photo of one such Linnet-tree is attached.

In the bushes on the edge of the pond were the odd Robin, Dunnock and Reed Bunting.

The pond itself was pretty quiet. It can be hit and miss from one visit to the next. Present were Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Pochard, Goldeneye (female), Mute Swan family, Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Little Grebe, Shoveler, Black-headed Gull.

We carried on around the pond completing the circuit back to the car park seeing very little else and went into the feeding station. I put out a few sunflower hearts which the birds love - though really there was plenty of food already put out by the park rangers and other visitors.

In the feeding station we saw Marsh Tit, Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird and Dunnock. As we left a Great Spotted Woodpecker landed in the silver birch trees above.

We drove home via Cowpen Bewley Road where we picked up a single Waxwing by the cemetry and then another small flock a few yards further on.

I made that 35 species - slightly below average for this location but the Linnet and Siskins were good finds.

Attachments

• img144ao.jpg
    img144ao.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 263
  • img104ao.JPG
    img104ao.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 270
  • img6ao.JPG
    img6ao.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 249
  • img70ao.JPG
    img70ao.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 257
  • img162ao.JPG
    img162ao.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 260
2nd January 2006

Don't worry this isn't going to be a day by day account - it's just I was off work again today and no car to hand this location is a handy spot to walk to from home.

Visit 10:30-12:30.

Another dull day about the same as New Years Day.

Entering the park from the west corner you walk through what one day will be a nice mixed wood. It's a little boggy in places but the alder trees seem to like that though there are a good number of conifers, beech, oak and some open grassland with hawthorn bushes and gelder rose. A few Magpie, Crows and a Rook were the first birds seen. 100 yards further on were a pair of Lesser Redpoll feeding in a 25' high alder tree. They soon moved on and so did I. On passing through the gate in the chain link fence you reach a few mature trees 70-80' high. Here there were Goldcrests, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit and sat on the fence a pair of Mistle Thrush. The small ponds held Mallard. Teal and a few Pochard.

Following the path I came out beside the feeding station to enter the car park. I didn't stop for a look as I planned on calling in on the return journey. Noticeable though were the Greenfinch and Goldfinch in the tree tops and a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the same tree as yesterday which dropped down onto one of the nest boxes and started drumming. Not for long though as I was only 20 yards away and I'd guess it saw me and then flew off north. The bushes by the car park were alive with chirping birds. I could see Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Treesparrow and Yellowhammer but I dare say there were more species but being dense and in poor light they were hard to spot.

As I walked across the car park I could see a large flock of 40+ birds between me and the visitors centre by the picnic area. They were landing in the small trees and then disappearing into the grass. I decided to walk round that way and as I got closer I could see they were mainly Meadow Pipit. There were a few Greenfinch, Goldfinch, a Robin and a Dunnock but they were likely incidental rather than part of the flock. I watched them for a while until they once more disappeared into the grass - invisible until someone walked too close and they took off in an undulating mass.

I headed up alongside the hedge beside the visitors centre and once again there was very little to see until I reached the railway line. No sign of the Siskins today but a Yellowhammer was on the top of a bush by the lines - a usual spot for them.

On checking the electricity pylons I spotted a Kestrel sat high up - a regular perch for them as well.

On reaching the main pond a scan around the water revealed the same species as yesterday with a strange addition - a pair of Muscovy Duck! A first for me for this location. I think they were there yesterday as I saw a white head poking through the grass on the island but had assumed it was a white mallard/farm duck that turns up each year. Across the railway lines a flock of 100+ birds were on the bankside. They were swarming arund the sky and at one point passed overhead showing them to be the Linnets again. A few minutes later another flock passed over this time comprising 27x Goldfinch.

In the bushes by the NE corner of the pond were a few Treesparrow, Robin, Dunnock and Reed Bunting x4. The odd Chaffinch pair were in the bushes as I headed back to the car park, but very little else.

On leaving the car park I turned right down the track towards the sewage works. Usually within 300 yards you find Bullfinch - there was no sign yesterday but today it only took 30 yards to locate a pair.

At the feeding station things were very quiet with just a few birds visiting. Some well marked brightly coloured Yellowhammer brigthened things up as they fed on the gruond with the Chaffinches and Treesparrows. Most notable birds were Willow Tit and a flock of Long-tailed Tit x12 that took over all of the peanut feeders for a few minutes until the Great Tits bossed them out of the way.

New species for the day were - Lesser Redpoll, Mistle Thrush, Teal, Meadow Pipit, Kestrel, Bullfinch and Muscovy Duck. Muscovy Duck? - yep! if it's living wild having made it's own way there - it's good enough for me!

Species count to date 42!

Attachments

• IMG_8464ao.JPG
    IMG_8464ao.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_8521bo.JPG
    IMG_8521bo.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_8507ao.JPG
    IMG_8507ao.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_8448aoo.JPG
    IMG_8448aoo.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_8434ao.JPG
    IMG_8434ao.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 256
Great idea Ian, looking forward to contributing, enjoyed the New Years Day report.
Looks like you had a good day today, well done on getting the pic of the LTT and the Muscovy! Recorded a strange looking duck on 07/12/05 at first I thought it was the same but looks like some type of Hybrid, any suggestions?

Attachments

• CBDUCK2.jpg
    CBDUCK2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 244
  • CBDUCKBF1.jpg
    CBDUCKBF1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 260
I think it's the same birds Paul - just a bit cleaner now or the plumage more advanced. 'Muscovy-type' duck maybe more accurate ;)

First time I've seen them there so they must be moving around the various ponds or even on the beck.

Looking forward to your contributions :t:

Hi Ian and happy new year, i never realised the reserve spanned the road and as both marsh and willow tit are recorded i will certainly try and visit next time im down that way.

brian.

Flying visit yesterday morning (2/1) for a very "subdued" feeding station. One lone tree sparrow, one Blackbird and two rather large rats!

The feeders/tables were full and fit for a king (or avian equivalent) - take note Low Barns!

There were many Greenfinch and several Siskin in the surrounding trees. No Yellowhammer, Bullfinch or Marsh Tit today.

There are one or two "oddments" on that pond as well as the Muscovy. There was one dabbling/diving duck with an orange tipped blue/black bill. No photo I'm afraid.

As Cuddy said, should check here more often instead of racing past it for the more illustrious pools.

Arrived at my local patch at 10.15, although it was frosty the sun was threatening to come out so it seemed a good day for some pics.
First bird of the day was a Mistle Thrush in the car park followed by good views of 25+ Greenfinch on the trees by the feeding station.
Headed down thwe back lane which was lacking in birdlife so I took a few shots of the winter scenery.
Heade off down to the big pond which was mostly covered with a thin layer of ice. I was delghted to see the Goosanders had returned 6 Male and 6 Female were swimming together were the ice had melted, of course it was in the middle of the pond so made pics difficult.
I next spotted Ians Muscovy's and strolled down to the bankside to see if they would come closer, they are obviously domestic because they came onto the bank and fed from my hand.
Then spotted a Female Goldeneye swimming with the Tufted Ducks, she came quite close so I got good views.
Also present on the pond were Pochard, Shelduck, Mallard, Mute Swan and100+ BH Gulls.
By now the sun had dissapeared anthe clouds were rolling in, decided to go back to the car for a coffee. On the way back I spotted 2 x Male Bullfinch and 1 x Female a first for me on this patch. further along the sream a Grey Wagtail made an appearance and I was able to take some pics.
After a refreshing brew I decided to go back down to the pond for another look at the Goosanders, on the way I say Tree Sparrow, a pair of Reed Buntings, Siskin, Goldfinch and a flock of Linnets on the other side of the railway track.Saw GSW and 5 Yellowhammer on the way back to the car park.
After taking more pics of the Goosanders I made my way home, happy with a good days birding ;)

Attachments

• WINTERSCENE1BF.jpg
    WINTERSCENE1BF.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 257
  • MUSCOVY1BF.jpg
    MUSCOVY1BF.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 246
  • GOLDENEYE4BF.jpg
    GOLDENEYE4BF.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 242
  • GREYWAG3BF.jpg
    GREYWAG3BF.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 267
  • GOOSANDER4BF.jpg
    GOOSANDER4BF.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 267
It sounds like you had a good day Paul. Very good sightings for the Grey Wagtail, Goosander and getting such a good shot of the Goldeneye :t:

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park 07/01/06

Yep! The Red-necked Grebe was still there today and giving very good close views in front of the hide on the main pond. Only four Goosander today though I came across 9 Redpoll - a flock of three by the hedge behind the visitors centre and another six by the footbridge where the becks join at the north side of the Park.

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon having a having a wander around the reserve. Very dark skies and threatening rain but it managed to stay fine.

From the car park there were 40+ birds in the tops of the birches comprising Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Tree Sparrow, Great Tit, Siskin.

Mute Swan and Mallard were on the small ponds beside the car park and a few Meadow Pipit where they were last week on the small trees and on the ground by the picnic areas. Blackbirds were in the trees along with three or four Goldcrest.

Heading up the hedge line beside the visitor centre brought 12+ Long-tailed Tits, Siskin x6, Tree Sparrow 12+, Goldcrest 6+, Goldfinch x7 and Lesser Redpoll x3. Meally were reported there yesterday but I wouldn't like to call the ones I saw today. Blue Tit, Great Tit, Greenfinch and Blackbird were on the ringers feeding tables.

The only birds on the hedge itself were Blackbird, Crow, Rook, Yellowhammer and occasionally the Redpoll and Siskin as the flitted from the alders to the hedge and back. Still no sign of the Blackcaps that can usually be found here.

On reaching the railway lines Robin and Yellowhammer were on the bushes and large a large flock of small birds were flitting about the skies 300+ easily and likely Linnet though never seen close up to be sure.

Reed Bunting, Hedge Accentor and Wren were in the bushes on the left on reaching the pond and the usual Robin. Mallard and the Muscovy's were on the bank by the seats cleaning up the bread someone had scattered.

On the pond itself were Pochard, Goldeneye (female), Shoveler, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Mallard, Little Grebe, Goosander (3 male 1 female), Coot and Moorhen. 50-60 Black-headed Gulls. Best sighting though was of the Red-necked Grebe which spent most of the time in the corner in front of the hide (I should mention the hide is disused and locked - it can't be used for birdwatching).

Following the path to the north beside the hill there were several Chaffinch and Reed Bunting in the bushes and just before reaching the new bridge over the beck there were Yellowhammer x26 or thereabouts in the tops of the bushes on the left. As I went through the gate onto the bridge six more Redpoll landed on the same bush before taking flight again.

Following the stream towards Cloff Bridge there were plenty of Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow in the bushes alongside. Then just above the weir I spotted a Kingfisher. It's a good few months since I last saw one here. I don't think it saw me as it only flew 50 yards and then landed again. This time though as I drew near it took off heading up stream and out of sight.

On reaching the cycle way I turned left and headed back towards the car park. Apart from Great Tits there was little in the hedges - too busy a place on Saturday afternoons. In the Sewage Works through the fence I spotted a Grey Wagtail and a pair of Pied Wagtails.

After that I just headed back to the car - giving the feeding station a miss today.

Best birds of the day and new for me for the year this location were Kingfisher, Goosander, Grey Wagtail and Pied Wagtail.

Top bird was the Red-necked Grebe - a first ever for this location as far as I'm aware.

Photos more like record shots - I'll just blame the dull weather!

Attachments

• IMG_8566ao.JPG
    IMG_8566ao.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_8689ao.JPG
    IMG_8689ao.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_8675bo.JPG
    IMG_8675bo.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_8657bo.JPG
    IMG_8657bo.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_8619ao.JPG
    IMG_8619ao.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 238
Hi Ian,
well done on the pics on such a miserable, dark day, hope the RNG and the Redpoll hang around untill tommorrow!
Nice to see a first on a local patch

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back