Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2019 eBird/Clements taxonomy update - convergence with IOC/HBW mentioned

Old Monday 19th August 2019, 15:24   #76
Tom Schulenberg

This morning we again published fresh versions of the Clements spreadsheets, to correct yet another batch of minor errors:

eBird/Clements integrated checklist -
remove errant numbers from the English name column, adjacent to the subspecies of Splendid Astrapia Astrapia splendidissima; and

reposition African/Madagascar Sacred Ibis Threskiornis aethiopicus/bernieri to follow, rather than precede, the entry for Madagascar Sacred Ibis

Clements Checklist v2019 -
there were several instances of new eBird groups, or changes to the composition of eBird groups, that had been changed, but these changes had not been flagged as such. I now have added or revised the documentation in the spreadsheet for these cases. I did not keep a log of all such species, but representative examples include
Collared Inca Coeligena torquata
Creamy-breasted Canastero Asthenes dorbignyi
Common Cicadabird Edolisoma tenuirostre

I also corrected an obvious spelling error in the English name of Xenopsaris albinucha.

One correction I did not make in the new version of the Clements spreadsheet is the problem with Astrapia - meant to, but apparently did not. That mistake we'll just have to live with for now.

About a half dozen or so more substantive errors have been pointed out to me - mistakes in the spelling of a few subspecies names, or in the scientific names of polytypic eBird groups. We appreciate the feedback on such errors - but correcting these will have to wait until our next release (August 2020).
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 11:46   #77
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Spotted a strange inconsistency in new English names for what used to be Petronias: there is now a Yellow-throated Bush Sparrow as well as a Yellow-throated Sparrow next species along. Surely this can't be what was intended, can it?

Steve
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 11:59   #78
TomDerutter

Yellow-throated Petronia becomes Yellow-throated Bush Sparrow
Chestnut-shouldered Petronia becomes Yellow-throated Sparrow

in IOC 9.1 updates:
Stet (9.1) Yellow-throated Sparrow, a long-established English name, without the "Petronia" conflict.

So apparently Yellow-throated Sparrow keeps it's name because it's long established, while Clements didn't even use this name before :)
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 12:22   #79
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I have heard an argument that these are far enough apart geographically that the similar names will not be a problem.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 13:29   #80
l_raty
laurent raty

I grew up with "Yellowthroated Sparrow" being a Southern African species (as might be guessed [though perhaps this is showing my age...? ] from the absence of hyphen); while the bird I first saw in Turkey was then called a Yellow-throated Rock Sparrow...
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 17:01   #81
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schulenberg View Post
... the problem with Astrapia ....
Can't help but wonder - does auto-correct keep changing it into Aspidistra?
Old Friday 23rd August 2019, 20:48   #82
Jim M.
Choose Civility

eBird update now COMPLETE: https://ebird.org/news/2019-ebird-taxonomy-update

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: