• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (2 Viewers)

That only tells you how few people own an 8x25, let alone the Victory.
Not that I disagree with the physics.
It tells you what most birders have found works best for them based on experience in the field. For all around birding most people prefer an 8x32 or 8x42 because they perform better in low light and they are the more comfortable as far as eye placement than a compact like the Zeiss. I think there are a few of you that really like the Zeiss Victory 8x25's because they happen to fit you perfect. It could be you wear glasses or the eye relief and eye cups are perfectly matched to your eye sockets so the 3mm of exit pupil matches your eyes and for you they don't feel finicky but for most people with different size eye sockets and those that don't wear glasses the 4mm and 5mm of exit pupil of an 8x32 or 8x42 is going to give you more flexibility as far as eye placement and be more comfortable overall.

Last edited:
That only tells you how few people own an 8x25, let alone the Victory.
Not that I disagree with the physics.

Personal testimonials in favor of the pocket are simply drowned out by the roar of the faceless majority! It is useless to disagree with the Denco machine. Stay tuned for an interminable series of more bulletins designed to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Denco will prevail. If personal experience must be denied, and/or ignored, so be it. Statistics rule! (as long as they agree with Denco) ;)

-Bill

In the binocular poll below 51% of birders prefer the 8x32 and .93% prefer the 8x25 format. That really should tell you something. There is no way any 8x25 will perform like an 8x32 for all around birding and the popular opinion agrees. The majority rules. Any 8x25 is going to be way more finicky and will not perform as well in low light as an 8x32 and that includes the Zeiss Victory 8x25 or Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. It is a matter of physics. You can only do so much with coatings and glass. 3mm of exit pupil is 3mm of exit pupil be it Zeiss or Swarovski or Leica. It is not possible for an 8x25 to have the easy eye placement of an 8x32 or 8x42. The only smaller binocular I have seen with easier eye placement is the Swarovski 8x30 CL and it has a special design called an " optical box" and it was still not as comfortable or have as easy eye placement as my 8x32 SV. The extra 1mm of exit pupil on an 8x32 is going to give you more room to move your eyes around without getting blackouts and when the light starts getting low it is going to be brighter.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=376666&page=5

Oh Dennis, I think you've forgotten that you are discussing this topic with binocular obsessive people, many of whom own many top of the line binoculars of many configurations. We are familiar, both practically and theoretically, w/the points you are making and _yet_ we are reporting (accurately, and with the perspective of very experienced users) that the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is something special. _That_ should tell you something.

You are also forgetting that majority popular opinion and aggregate statistics are not always the best choice or accurate when it comes to individuals and individual choices. General rules are a good starting point but they can't compete with customized fit/solutions.

Another point that you are forgetting is that majority opinion matters not when it comes to my proclamations because I am the god of binoculars. Remember? I revealed this to you, when you were despairing for some collective/community encouragement so that you could enjoy your binocular choices.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2226537&highlight=god+of+binoculars#post2226537

Perhaps you forgot. No worries, I forgive you.

--AP

In the binocular poll below 51% of birders prefer the 8x32 and .93% prefer the 8x25 format. That really should tell you something. There is no way any 8x25 will perform like an 8x32 for all around birding and the popular opinion agrees. The majority rules. Any 8x25 is going to be way more finicky and will not perform as well in low light as an 8x32 and that includes the Zeiss Victory 8x25 or Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. It is a matter of physics. You can only do so much with coatings and glass. 3mm of exit pupil is 3mm of exit pupil be it Zeiss or Swarovski or Leica. It is not possible for an 8x25 to have the easy eye placement of an 8x32 or 8x42. The only smaller binocular I have seen with easier eye placement is the Swarovski 8x30 CL and it has a special design called an " optical box" and it was still not as comfortable or have as easy eye placement as my 8x32 SV. The extra 1mm of exit pupil on an 8x32 is going to give you more room to move your eyes around without getting blackouts and when the light starts getting low it is going to be brighter.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=376666&page=5
Well, considering that eye placement was easier for me with these than any of the multitude of 8x32s I've owned (notable models being the 8x32 Swarovision, 8x32 Zeiss Victory T*FL, and 8x32 Meopta Meostar), I would disagree with your assessment.
That is not to say my experiences will be the same as yours or anyone else's, but for me the 8x25 Victory Pocket is a much easier overall viewing experience than any 8x32 I've owned or sampled.

Justin

"That is not to say my experiences will be the same as yours or anyone else's, but for me the 8x25 Victory Pocket is a much easier overall viewing experience than any 8x32 I've owned or sampled."

I don't doubt you but I find it very interesting that the 8x25 is an easier viewing experience than an 8x32 and it has easier eye placement. It makes me wonder why because usually an 8x32 will be easier than an 8x25 for most people because of the bigger exit pupil. The only thing I can think of is the Zeiss Victory 8x25 just fits you perfect. Do you wear glasses? Everybody is different when it comes to binoculars fitting them. Your lucky if you find that to be true because you can carry a lighter, smaller binocular. I wish I could find an 8x25 I like better than my 8x32's. There is no doubt the Zeiss Victory 8x25 is a fine compact and it pushes the envelope of performance for compacts.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the conclusion just be that we all have our preferences based on usage case, steadiness of holding, different preference-balance between lightness/weight and light/enlargement... ? ;)

I only have my Zeiss Pocket 8x25 for two weeks or so now, and didn't have that much time to test them, but I think the conclusion won't change much for me(!):
  • my 10,5x42 will be my go-to for pure nature/bird observation walks
  • the pocket will be my go-to for hiking, bike camping, all other walks for which 'observing' is not thé main purpose etc. ...(once I have the accessories sorted :-( ): very compact and light, still very comfortable to use, super sharp...
  • ...but I think I'll recommend a 8x30 (maybe Kite Lynx HD) to my parents, who are looking for one single pair of binoculars, and for which I think the weight+viewing angle+exit pupil will be the best all-in-one. Still, I would rather have them test it before in a shop. If that's not possible, I'll bring my two binoculars (10x42 & 8x25) for them to test, to see the pro's and con's that they(!) notice and find important or bothering when using them.

The weight and size difference between the (any) 8x25 and 10.5x42 is huge and will be defining which one I'll take, making them a very complementary 2-binoculars-set for me.
They are both easy and comfortable enough to use for me. (Important e.g. for me personally is having a small enough minimal IPD!! Many won't care, but that's priceless for me.) Comparing them optically, the difference in brightness was negligible for me at(/just after) sunset, offset by the impressive contrast and sharpness of the pockets. That really surprised me: no compact I tested (be it however probably 10 or 15 years ago) succeeded in that. (However, maybe the difference would be noticeable with a new, but very expensive *alpha* 10x42.)
It's actually the 8x instead of 10x that is the main thing that I'll be missing when taking the pockets. |:(|
Should I have bought the 10x25? I don't know. I found a deal I couldn't refuse for a 8x25 and jumped. Maybe I should still find a place to try the 10x25. But if the ease of use and comfort take a significant dip (for me or e.g. my partner), the 8x25 will remain: I want to be able to share my binoculars when viewing something during a walk and have the others (e.g. old & young within the family) also enjoy it.

I have shallow eye sockets so I have a hard time finding binoculars with long enough eye cups to match the eye relief so on many binoculars I have to cup my hands around the eye cups and rest them against my forehead to avoid blackouts or rest them on my eyebrows. This is the reason I have trouble with the Zeiss Victory 8x25. I have to float them too far away from my eyes to avoid blackouts. The SV 8x32's eye cups are just barely long enough. The ONLY two binoculars I have found that have long enough eye cups are the Canon 10x42 IS-L which I had and the Swarovski SV 12x50 which I have. On these two I can actually use the eye cups on the 2nd click stop and not fully extended with no black outs. I love the 12x50 SV for this reason and it is the easiest binocular I have ever had for eye placement. I can cram my eyes up to the eye cups and get absolutely NO BLACKOUTS. Wonderful!

Last edited:
What i've found - and this pertains to this discussion - is that each binocular requires its own approach to placement; eyecups fully or partially extended, fully retracted, jammed against the eyes or rested on the eyebrows, or just 'hovered' in front of the eyes.
The Pocket almost seems to live in its own section of the binocular world. While undoubtedly a compact, it doesn't behave like one in any way, other than losing a little light at the extremes of the day. I use it as much with the eyecups retracted as extended (not so easy in the plane above horizontal however) and use it about as much as i do my FL 8x32mm.
Moving from one to the other however requires adaption time. Once this is done, i am reminded of why i would never, never, never sell the FL. While there is that off-axis astigmatism, this is something that has never impacted on anything i've ever used them for, and has to be 'found' to be noticed. Those fat barrels, that solidity giving compactness but resistance to windy conditions, that accessible and perfect focus wheel and just the overall reliability...
I can induce CA a little more easily in the Pocket than the FL, and the FL's fabled robustness means it remains the go-to when the terrain is unknown or the circumstances unpredictable.
The Pocket though remains a phenomenal device, probably peerless in the size category. I honestly believe that - if i didn't own bins i really can't part with - i could cope with just owning this and not feel i was losing much.
I've now used it in a Portuguese Indian summer, and East Anglian winter, used it on estuaries, heaths, mountains, woodland and even sea-watching and have yet to be let down by it once.
It i could swear to its durability in a range of tougher conditions (including hand stability in high winds) it would be the perfect 10. So there!

Love the binocular, hate the case. The same is true of the SF 8x42. I've ordered Maven bags and hard cases for both. An Amazon basics compact camera case also works quite well for the folded 8x25. I will also pocket them in a cleared coat or pants pocket.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Could you tell which Maven bag and hard case you have for the Zeiss Pocket and how it fits?
I’m especially curious about the hard case, as I’m looking for one that would be a good fit for this small binocular when folded/closed, being as compact as possible but still a good fit and well protecting.

Hi mbb,

The case/bag I got are for the B3/C2 binoculars. I called Maven because I found the case but not the bag in their accessories page online. I was able to get the bag with the case as a sort of special order. I have always found folks at Maven are very helpful.

I have the Maven 8x30 and 9x45 and each came with a double layer cloth bag and a zippered "hard case." To my surprise I really like the cloth bag. It adds little bulk or weight to store these ruggedized binoculars, and i tend to treat them with some care anyway. I use only the bag 80% of the time, but I use the case for extra protection when I travel.

The Maven 8x30 is larger and bulkier than the Zeiss 8x25, so there is plenty of room in the bag. I just fold the top quarter of the bag over after I've put the binoculars in and pulled the draw string. The case is very a plain single zipper thing that opens completely flat; no pockets or dividers. it has a handle as well as clips at top for a shoulder strap. If the 8x25 is folded tight in the bag, it does tend to swim in the hard case just a little bit. On the rare occasions that I use the hard case with the 8x25 I open the binocular more and wrap another cloth around the case. If you want a smaller case or a case that can clip on you belt, then most any compact camera case will do. I have a LowePro and an Amazon Basics case that I could use, but I prefer either the bag or keeping them folded and in a pants or jacket pocket

Alan

I should get around to posting a picture for reference but I'm using Op Tech Mini QD Loops attached to an appropriately thin piece of webbing strap using bits and pieces I had (plastic buckles etc). Case wise I'm using the Op Tech Soft Pouch-Photo/Electronics, Wide Body Medium (I removed the plastic belt clip by unpicking the stitching as it seemed pretty useless to me).
I really like this setup, perfect for me. By no means am I peddling Op Tech, this is just what I found most accommodating of my requirements.
Still really enjoying my Pockets, of course.

Last edited:
I hope these quick phone pics can help with some strap and case ideas.
"Home made" strap from left over buckles, webbing strap and shrink wrap with QD loops (alternatively I could have just threaded the strap through the QD buckles, folded and stitched it together as I have no need to adjust the length once set).
Case with clip removed (pic 4).
Eye cups are always kept extended in use and in case. Binoculars are folded for case storage, the fit is roomy enough to easily stow or remove without being excessively large. Although I never stow the neck strap it could easily fit also, I tend to leave it out, as shown, or simply wrap it around the case.

Attachments

• image000000_02.jpg
    image000000_02.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 197
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 203
  • image000000_01.jpg
    image000000_01.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 256
  • image000000_03.jpg
    image000000_03.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
In the binocular poll below 51% of birders prefer the 8x32 and .93% prefer the 8x25 format.

In the field I mostly meet the very active birders, and I see 80% 10x42, the odd 8x42 and 8,5x42 included in this number.
I see 10% x50/56 and even less 10% x32.

So what people who watch birds everyday prefer, is not the same as what you are referencing to (a poll in a binogeek section of a birder forum).

So obviously, that poll doesn't say anything about what's preferred in real life by people who go birding a lot.

In the field I mostly meet the very active birders, and I see 80% 10x42, the odd 8x42 and 8,5x42 included in this number.
I see 10% x50/56 and even less 10% x32.

So what people who watch birds everyday prefer, is not the same as what you are referencing to (a poll in a binogeek section of a birder forum).

So obviously, that poll doesn't say anything about what's preferred in real life by people who go birding a lot.

Aren't the words birder and geek synonymous anyway?
Maybe if I ever become a hardcore enough birder I'll get myself a 10x42.

Homer: Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that.

Last edited:
I did not like the clam case, so have found an alternative case which allows for an opticron style dust cover and two rifle scope flip ups for the objectives. Not waterproof but will minimise dust and grit ingress . Not to everyone’s taste I’m sure but practical for me.

GPeNRmw.jpg

Ut6MmaO.jpg

QjXevZ0.jpg

Last edited:
I did not like the clam case, so have found an alternative case which allows for an opticron style dust cover and two rifle scope flip ups for the objectives. Not waterproof but will minimise dust and grit ingress . Not to everyone’s taste I’m sure but practical for me.

GPeNRmw.jpg

Ut6MmaO.jpg

QjXevZ0.jpg

Interesting setup! I was also looking for such flip-open/close objective covers, either such rifle scope ones, or lighter/simpler ones for compact binoculars. Could you send a link to which covers and case you've bought?
Are those covers 34mm or 35mm ones (interior diameter) and how well do they fit? Because the barrel isn't perfectly round, I'm not sure if I should go for 34 or for 35 mm.

MBB....i bought the cheapest flip ups i could find. It's an experiment for me as I've only ever used them on my riflescopes, not on bins.
Cheap so that if they didn't fit I wouldn't feel hard done by :)

As it happens I'm very pleased with them, fitting them so that they flip out each side, rather than up or down.

I bought the 34mm version. They are a good snug fit and I had to push them on firmly.
I know what you mean about the external of the objective not being regular all round, there are a couple of tiny ridges aren't there?

These 34's won't fall off, they conform to the odd shape but the lid still closes with a firm snap.

I got them here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIFLE-SC...var=441768489577&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

From the top of the Eiffel tower, I watched the planes land at Roissy at sundown yesterday. That's a distance of something like 20Km!

I could clearly make out the parked planes and control tower.

The Pocket was giving me a much sharper view than my 7x42 UV HD, and I got no eyestrain. My poor 8 year old son was forced to use the Leica 8-P

Edmund

Opticron compact case?

Has anybody tried the following Opticron compact binocular case with the Zeiss Pocket 10x25, folded/closed, but including rainguard+cover+small(original)strap ?

"21053 Compact Binocular Case in soft neoprene for roof prism 25mm"

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-prod...lar-case-in-soft-neoprene-for-roof-prism-25mm

I like the design (turned zip-closing + lugs for strap).
The internal dimensions written there are 120x75x45 mm = 4.7x3x1.8 inch.
This might be a possible, though tight fit, if it's flexible enough, in which case it might be a nice compact and good protection.

Or maybe the "21052 Compact Binocular Case in soft neoprene for porro prism 25mm" with internal dimensions 110x95x40 cm = 4.3x3.7x1.6 inch.
https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-prod...ar-case-in-soft-neoprene-for-porro-prism-25mm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back