• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
I am looking for some information about the Nikon 10x42 Monarch HG binocular, and I would like to know if this model is at the same level as the Monarch 7 10x42, I imagine it will be lower than the EDG model, even if only by price.
Has anyone used it?
I would be happy to hear your opinions.
Pluto

The MHG is far superior to the Monarch 7. Mechanically I find the MHG is alpha class rather than Chin-bin Monarch 7 level.
The MHG has sensational ergonomics and light weight. The wide Fov is very welcome and usable. Not quite as sharp to the edge as a Swarovski SV, but pretty close. Perhaps I could wish for that last little bit of sharpness overall you get in the EDG, the SV, or the SF, but then again the MHG is circa half the price of those. Great value for money. :t:

Chosun :gh:

I have had a lot of the alpha 10x42's and I use the Nikon HG 10x42 as my roof birding binocular. I think it is one of the best values around at it's price point. I like it better than the SV because it shows less glare and I like it better than the EDG because it is smaller and lighter and it has a bigger FOV. The FOV is about as big as the Zeiss SF. Nikon fixed a lot of the mistakes they made on the EDG with the HG. The objective covers fit and stay on and the rainguard fit's. I use a Zeiss 42mm Conquest case because I like a case with a strap and I use a Vero Vellini Strap because it is smaller and lighter than the Nikon strap and it fits in the case better. I think the HG 10x42 is really hard to beat. The Nikon HG 10x30 and 8x30 are nice but IMO with the smaller exit pupil they are a little finicky , as far as, eye placement. The really cool thing about the Nikon HG 10x42 is that it as small and light as most 32mm's but yet you have the advantage of a 42mm aperture. Nikon was really thinking when they designed it. The HG 10x42 is one of my favorite binoculars.

Last edited:
Hi Pluto,
Below are some data of the Monarch HG, Monarch 7 and EDG.

Nikon Monarch HG 10x42:

Eye relief (acc. to spec): 17 mm
IPD: 56 – 74 mm
RFOV: 6.9 degrees = 121 m
AFOV: 62.2 degrees
Waterproof: yes
Weight (measured, with eyepiece cover and strap): 733 g

Nikon EDG 10x42:

Eye relief (acc. to spec): 18 mm
IPD: 55 – 76 mm
RFOV: 6.5 degrees = 114 m
AFOV: 59.2 degrees
Weight (measured, with eyepiece cover and strap): 897 g

Nikon Monarch 7 10x42:

Eye relief (acc. to spec): 16 mm
IPD: 56 – 72 mm
RFOV: 6.7 degrees = 117 m
AFOV: 60.7 degrees
Weight (measured, with eyepiece cover and strap): 721 g

My personal opinion (I know all three):
In terms of optical performance, the EDG ranks at the top, except when it comes to field of view, where the Monarch HG is the best.
The Monarch 7 is in my eye clearly less sharp than the Monarch HG, at the center of the field of view and even more so at the edge of the image.
Since the EDG seems not to get updated and may be phased out, the Monarch HG is Nikon‘s top binocular( not counting the WX, of course), and it is a class above the Monarch 7.

fwiw Canip

Dennis,

I think Nikon may have done something to improve the fit of the EDG objective covers on late production models. On my 7x42 EDG II they stay in and if pulled come off with a sort of rubbery snap sound and a bit of resistance. The s/no. of mine is 000581, which I assume is not too old. The rainguard fits OK too though I did notice it is just a touch more awkward to put on than those made by the top competition. The Sw rainguard on the 10x42SV in the shop fitted noticeably better than anything else, I thought, while we are on the subject. The EDG II was purchased earlier this year; of course I don't know how long it was lying in store at Nikon before that.

At the London Wetlands Centre, which I visited before the weekend, they had several of the MHG range and the one I tried was compact and very good. I have to say the EDG is what I prefer, but that's not surprising considering the cost difference even though the MHG was nicely made and a pleasure to use. (It was 'only' the 10x32 spec.)

Tom

PS: my local store, did I tell you, is getting in a 10x50SV (which I know you have high praise for) to compare side by side with their 10x42SV, which I looked at and tested on all the outdoor plants by the supermarket opposite. Very sharp but would like to do more varied testing to get a full idea of the image. Expecting to get more of a wow factor from the 50s; I'm not that sure about the 42s after just the one test. Probably takes time to get used to the flatter image though.

Last edited:
The EDG's just never WOWED me. I need a 65 degree or better AFOV to get that immersive WOW view and EDG's never delivered that. The 7x has a dismal 56 degree, the 10x isn't much better at 59 degree and the 8x is still only a 61 degree AFOV. Nowhere near the 69 degree AFOV of the Nikon HG 10x42. I personally wouldn't buy one again now that they are discontinued because I think Nikon will quit supporting them. Nikon isn't the best customer service company in the world anyway. I don't like the weight and all that rubbery armour and their bulkier size either for the aperture. I have different priorities than some. We all have different preferences. I had one that had a drifting diopter and one that had too much play in the focuser. Overall I like the HG better because I have no problems with it and it WOWs me more than my EDG's did. I don't think Nikon ever sold many EDG especially for $2200.00. People just don't understand paying that much for a Nikon but they will pay it for a Swaro. Ever Swaro I had I lost very little money on it but EDG's I always took a beating to sell them. The Ebay market is flooded with EDG's from Japanese sellers that they must have gotten from Nikon when they discontinued them. You can pick up EDG's all day for $1100.00 to $1400.00 new in the box.

Last edited:
Pluto:

I own all 3 binoculars you mention, these 10x42's by Nikon are all very good, and I agree with Chosun
and Dennis above.

The EDG is the best, next is the Monarch HG, an advantage is its wide FOV, and light weight, it really
is a great value in the mid-range. The Monarch 7 does perform well in its class, very bright, and does
have solid construction for a China made binocular.

So, I would recommend the Monarch HG, it does perform very well.

Jerry

The EDG's just never WOWED me. I don't think Nikon ever sold many EDG especially for $2200.00. People just don't understand paying that much for a Nikon but they will pay it for a Swaro. Ever Swaro I had I lost very little money on it but EDG's I always took a beating to seell them. The Ebay market is flooded with EDG's from Japanese sellers that they must have gotten from Nikon when they discontinued them. You can pick up EDG's all day for $1100.00 to $1400.00 new in the box.

I have experienced handling many of the binoculars and spotting scopes discussed here, with my eyes having just the opposite opinion of other forum members here. I personally have experienced the “WOW” view of the Nikon EDG line of Optics with the EDG Scope I now own, also with a short viewing in NY city with the Nikon EDG 8x32 binocular. Regarding all those all day heavily discounted EDG Optics one can find on Ebay today. Some of my best/lowest priced purchases were from very honest and friendly sellers from Japan.

I had the Nikon EDG 8x32 and I agree it is the second best 8x32 made the best IMO is the SV 8x32. The SV has sharper edges and it is smaller and lighter but it does show some glare. I returned an EDG binocular to one Japanese seller and he tried to keep $500.00 of the purchase price. He was charging me for USING it. I called Ebay and got my full refund in 10 minutes.:king:

Last edited:
I have experienced handling many of the binoculars and spotting scopes discussed here, with my eyes having just the opposite opinion of other forum members here. I personally have experienced the “WOW” view of the Nikon EDG line of Optics with the EDG Scope I now own, also with a short viewing in NY city with the Nikon EDG 8x32 binocular. Regarding all those all day heavily discounted EDG Optics one can find on Ebay today. Some of my best/lowest priced purchases were from very honest and friendly sellers from Japan.

:t:

Andy W.

The optical perfection of the EDG may be a little higher than the HG but I will trade that for a bigger FOV and less weight any day of the week and twice on Sunday!B :)

So a slightly larger FOV is always nice Dennis, but how much of that view is truly usable for those who like to peek. (lets see if the new Kowa provides a nice wide view). Seems like many want light weight glass these days, when 750 grams was the normal weight for a 8 or 10X42, no one complained then. Some can still handle the weight I guess.

Andy W.

Last edited:
The optical perfection of the EDG may be a little higher than the HG but I will trade that for a bigger FOV and less weight any day of the week and twice on Sunday!B :)

I will carry that we little 3:) extra weight/smaller FOV for that “Higher” optical view every other day and once on Saturday and Sunday with Holidays :king: being optional ..... For me, if I am outdoors with the mission of seeing everything that has feathers or fur I want that Optical Perfection :eek!: the EDG provides.

The Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 is lighter and has a bigger FOV than the EDG. The EDG has sharper edges and is a little better with CA. That is the main difference. If you want sharper edges than the EDG you get an SV but then you get a little more glare and some are bothered by RB so it depends on where your priorities and preferences lie.

Last edited:
I will carry that we little 3:) extra weight/smaller FOV for that “Higher” optical view every other day and once on Saturday and Sunday with Holidays :king: being optional ..... For me, if I am outdoors with the mission of seeing everything that has feathers or fur I want that Optical Perfection :eek!: the EDG provides.

:t:B :)
Hi,
the Nikon EDG is at least a class better than the Monarch HG, which is offered as a "flatfield" but is not.
The edge sharpness is rather disappointing, especially for the 8x42, you have to search for "flatfield".
Stray light suppression and CA is also worse than the EDG, moreover, it has less center-sharpness
Meanwhile, EDG is clearly ahead ...;)

Andreas

The EDG's just never WOWED me. I need a 65 degree or better AFOV to get that immersive WOW view and EDG's never delivered that. The 7x has a dismal 56 degree, the 10x isn't much better at 59 degree and the 8x is still only a 61 degree AFOV. Nowhere near the 69 degree AFOV of the Nikon HG 10x42.

Hi,

If the field of vision is the only wow factor in binoculars, they should think of their Swarovski hawks before praising them in the sky...;)

Andreas

:t:B :)
Hi,
the Nikon EDG is at least a class better than the Monarch HG, which is offered as a "flatfield" but is not.
The edge sharpness is rather disappointing, especially for the 8x42, you have to search for "flatfield".
Stray light suppression and CA is also worse than the EDG, moreover, it has less center-sharpness
Meanwhile, EDG is clearly ahead ...;)

Andreas

While I'm sure the MHG is more than satisfactory, the EDG is nothing short of amazing in my experience.

"Meanwhile, EDG is clearly ahead ..."

That depends on your priorities. If you like a big FOV and a lighter weight, smaller binocular the HG wins!;) It is all about personal preference.

I can only speak for myself. The optics brought to my eyes whether it be in form of Binocular/monocular or Spotting scope was always about seeing my viewing object as close as possible with the clearest, sharpest bright view Possible. Thanks for reminding us all, that if we live long enough, when our eyesight has failed beyond correction and when we are so frail we will lack the strength to carry our optics to view :C we will still have that last priority to keep us content ..... That choice of Optical equipment with “ That big FOV ”which will allow our questionable lack of strength to carry that “ smaller lightweight ” Binocular. Dennis I can not speak for you, but I can not wait |=(||=(|

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back