• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Right click problem (1 Viewer)

phyllosc

I am having a problem with Surfbirds. My 'right-click' mouse button has stopped working on this site. As such I cannot save pictures to my hard drive. On other sites the right-click function works fine. At a friend's house yesterday he could save pictures from Surfbirds, so it would seem the problem is with my PC. I tried researching the problem with microsoft on-line help but I could not find a solution.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Dave C

I am having a problem with Surfbirds. My 'right-click' mouse button has stopped working on this site. As such I cannot save pictures to my hard drive. On other sites the right-click function works fine. At a friend's house yesterday he could save pictures from Surfbirds, so it would seem the problem is with my PC. I tried researching the problem with microsoft on-line help but I could not find a solution.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Dave C

I was wondering if it was a copyright problem but I've just been on there and tried and it doesn't appear to be that. Although I did find that I had to right click twice for the box to pop up.

I was wondering if it was a copyright problem but I've just been on there and tried and it doesn't appear to be that. Although I did find that I had to right click twice for the box to pop up.

Surfbirds have programmed out right-click by using

oncontextmenu="return false"

HTH

It works for me. Also, I've found that using Firefox gets round the problem of sites not allowing right clicking, as the 'disable right click' Javascript function only works in IE.

Surely its courtesy to email the photographer if you want to save a photo from any site on the net. If you are not that bothered just hit Ctrl + PrtScn and edit it in photoshop ;)

John

Copying someone else's work without permission puts you in violation of their copyright, whether they have a copyright notice up or not. It is much better to ask permission. It's also safer for you.

If you don't ask permission to use a work, you could be violating their copyright. To be legally entitled to copy a photo on the internet, it must state somewhere that particular image is in the public domain.

Someone will no doubt mention "fair use", but that is mainly for use in either teaching, news reporting or taking certain phrases or sentences with the purpose of illustrating a point.

I dont think anyone would ever have a problem in copying a photo for your own private use, it is when the usage becomes more extensive that the issues arise. Copying and using for commercial gain, is an infringement of intellectual property rights, and as such, is illegal.

The issue of copyright comes up time and time again.

What you said is absolutely correct Stephen.

However, the internet is unlike any other medium and as such copyright is very difficult and ultimately very expensive to enforce.

I suppose the bottom line is not to put anything on the net if you're not prepared to have it stolen or used for purposes you didn't intend.

The issue of copyright comes up time and time again.

What you said is absolutely correct Stephen.

However, the internet is unlike any other medium and as such copyright is very difficult and ultimately very expensive to enforce.

I suppose the bottom line is not to put anything on the net if you're not prepared to have it stolen or used for purposes you didn't intend.

Never a truer word spoken.

if you're really concerned put a water mark across the image at least that will stop the casual user from using your work

Thanks everyone. Some 'techie' answers here that will take my semi-computer literate mind time to sort out.

As for the copy right issues, for the record I save the photos to my hard drive, changing the file name to record who was the photograper. If I print them out to stick in my notebook (and that is all I do with them) I use photoshop to add text crediting the photographer. I don't know if that constitutes a breach of copyright or not. When my digiscoping skills are better I will, like so many others, place my shots on the internet and would be flattered if someone wanted to save a copy. If I became concerned about copyright issues them I would stop posting them on sites like Surfbirds, and I asume other likeminded photographers would do the same.

Dave C

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back