• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 100-300 mm f2.8 (1 Viewer)

Karthik

Hello there folks!

I have purchased a Sigma 120-300 mm f2.8 lens to go with my Canon 7D. I have used the 150-500 mm Sigma and wanted a faster lens. The primes were beyond my budget, so went in for a used, but extremely well maintained one.

I have a 500D, which I use as a secondary camera for landscape of amateur macro shots, using the Tamron 70-300 mm.

I wanted to ask the experts here, about using the lens with a 1.4 & 2X teleconverter. I have a Kenko 1.4 Pro TC now.

I photograph a lot of birds in India. I started off "shooting" Tigers, but Birding has got me really hooked on. Tigers and Leopards continue to be my preferred choice though.

Any advise will help me make the decision of going in for a TC. I'm kinda confused, and wanted some good advise in making the right decision. And if a TC is recommended, which one do you suggest, a Kenko 2X pro, A Sigma or the Canon 2X.

Appreciate the inputs!

Regards,

Karthik

Last edited:
Hi Karthik and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

I use a Sigma lens with a 1.4 converter and it works well. Except not so great for flight shots. It takes longer to focus for me. The converter I use is tele-plus. That said, I'm going to move your thread to the Sigma lens section where you are likely to get more feedback.

I have subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

I have the first OS version of this lens and have used it with the Kenko Pro 2x Sigma 2x and canon 2x mk3 converters. It takes a 2x converter very well and the flexibility and reach make it a good all-rounder. If your budget stretches that far go for the Canon converter as the Sigma has far more CA can be quite noticeable with the subject against a sky background. The Kenko 2x is good for CA but lacks the sharpness of the other two.

I have a Canon 1.4x mk 2 but I rarely use it on this lens as the 2x is usually mounted.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back