• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

KOWA TS-614 Or Kowa Prominar TSN-4 Fluorite 77mm ? (1 Viewer)

L_bird

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I'm plannig to get into digiscopping, birding and maybe astronomy as well. I've found a used KOWA TS-614 SCOPE with a 20-60x eyepiece for less than $400 and a Kowa Prominar TSN-4 Fluorite 77mm with a 20-60x zoom, 20x widw eyepieces and a 800mm photo adapter all for around $600. Which one you think is the best buy?. I'll really appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance

Hello L_Bird and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I cannot answer your question regarding scopes but someone should be along shortly.

hello, welcome to bird forum! - why not check out the optic section for more help with your question.

salty said:
hello, welcome to bird forum! - why not check out the optic section for more help with your question.

Hi Salty,
thanks for the advice. I've checked the review section but I couldn't find any reviews on the Kowas in the equipment review section but I found some information based on what I could find in the forum section

L_bird said:
Hi Salty,
thanks for the advice. I've checked the review section but I couldn't find any reviews on the Kowas in the equipment review section but I found some information based on what I could find in the forum section
Hi L-bird,
Personally I'm a big fan of the TSN4, much of my early digiscoping was done with this and it can produce some stunning shots... a big objective lens really does help. Trouble is, your paying for a rather expensive 800mm photo adapter you may never use.
Here's TSN4 + 20-60x digiscoped shot.

Attachments

• goldtsn4.jpg
    goldtsn4.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,075
Andy Bright said:
Hi L-bird,
Personally I'm a big fan of the TSN4, much of my early digiscoping was done with this and it can produce some stunning shots... a big objective lens really does help. Trouble is, your paying for a rather expensive 800mm photo adapter you may never use.
Here's TSN4 + 20-60x digiscoped shot.

Wow! With that kind of shots I'm getting inclined towards the TSN4. I was wondering ... what camara did you use?

L_bird said:
Wow! With that kind of shots I'm getting inclined towards the TSN4. I was wondering ... what camara did you use?
That was with the old Nikon coolpix cp990, beloved of the 'old school' of digiscoping ;) Although this is great digiscoping camera, it's hard to recommend it these days as reliability of a used version is going to be a serious doubt.

cheers,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back