• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want the Birds back (1 Viewer)

Suzy

I can't understand why they don't visit me anymore.

My garden is a bout 40ft by 15ft(Ithink) Other than 3 fir trees and one lilac tree the rest of it is just plain old lawn. Up until just over 2 years ago i had a Dog that used to dash out the door when ever he got the chance,as fast he could. The odd thing is that I would still get a mix of Bird visitors. Not hundreds but enough to keep me busy topping up the feeders. I used to get Sparrows,blue and great tits,the odd Robin or two and what I miss most of all Greenfinches. I havn't seen a Starling in I don't know how long. I do have a couple of Blackbirds hanging around and I think they have a nest near by but I hardly ever see anything else and the food is never touched.(Ido change food and wash the containers by the way)

My neighbour does have a Cat but she has kept cats for years. i have a mix of different feeders around the Garden in different places to try and encourage them and I have had a bird bath for years. I wish the Birds would come back

Sue

I have also noticed a drop in feeder attendance but I have read lately that this winter the mild weather & the bumper berry crop in autumn has meant that not so many birds have had to venture into the garden feeders for food & have styed in the woods etc. so it may actually be good news? if you see what I mean.

Thanks Blackdog.

Yes you are right,I should be pleased that the birds don't need me too muchI suppose.

Well over the last few days I have seen a couple of great and bluetits and 1 magpie in the Garden The Bluetits did actuely feed from the feeders. I do also have a pair of Blackbirds that have a nest in a fir tree so i am watching for the outcome of that very closely. I just hope that the Magpie doesn't end up with Baby Blackbirds for lunch.

Sue

Hi sue, dont worry they will be back, but right now the greenfinches are the birds that need our help, with their natural food on the wane they need a helping hand. So try some white or black sunflower hearts, or a mixture of both and they will luv you all year long, good luck.

Hi Paul.

I was already putting out the white sunflower,but I have taken your advice and have added some of the black ones too.

Thanks

Sue

Just a bit of an update.

I saw a Greenfinch in my garden this morning. Only one I know but hopefuly he will fly off and spread the news that he knows where to find the best sunflower hearts in the neighbourhood lol. I am realy pleased because I havn't seen one in my garden for a long long time.

Sue

Suzy plant some of the sunflower seeds it's much more fun to watch & cats can't get up a sunflower there are also berberries, pyracantha, holly, winter green, yew, apple trees strawberries all fruit shrubs & trees sea holly is a good one & buddlea these attract insects for the birds to feed on if you do plant a pyracantha pick the one's with the red berries not the yellow ones because the birds dont think the yellow berries are ripe & dont get eaten hope this has been of some help Snapper.

Thankyou for the tips Snapper. I am working on getting my Garden more Bird friendly bit by bit. I am getting a bit impatient though because there are somethings that I can't do at the moment because I had surgery a few weeks ago. So the garden tools have to stay in the shed for a bit longer.

Sue

Suzy said:
Thankyou for the tips Snapper. I am working on getting my Garden more Bird friendly bit by bit. I am getting a bit impatient though because there are somethings that I can't do at the moment because I had surgery a few weeks ago. So the garden tools have to stay in the shed for a bit longer.

Sue
Good luck with the garden & hope you are better soon.

Regards Snapper.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back